Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Tenex?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I've been taking Adderall for over a decade to deal with ADHD. As originally planned, it's time to shift away from the Adderall for a bit. My neurologist has recommended using Tenex. I've read a fair amount of the on line information about the drug as well as the information from the pharmacy. There are two cycling related concerns I have, and wondered if any others here are using Tenex either for ADHD or high blood pressure. My concerns are the possible side effects of leg cramps (I'm prone to them as it is), and dizziness. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 05-12-09, 12:26 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bike made of Columbus Tenax...(sorry).

Seriously: I've learned that drug side effects vary from person to person so I'm not sure if another cyclist's experience will apply to you. I'd suggest trying easy rides in low traffic surroundings and see what happens.

And...did you ask the neurologist about your concerns? That would have been the first step but you didn't mention it.
Old 05-12-09, 12:52 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
I have a bike made of Columbus Tenax...(sorry).

Seriously: I've learned that drug side effects vary from person to person so I'm not sure if another cyclist's experience will apply to you. I'd suggest trying easy rides in low traffic surroundings and see what happens.

And...did you ask the neurologist about your concerns? That would have been the first step but you didn't mention it.
Yeah, I asked about my concerns and he said that these particular side effects occur in less than 3% of people taking the drug at the level I'd be using, and he doesn't know how sever they are for those experiencing them. The literature has little or no information on the severity either. There is an issue of coming off the medication. So, frankly I'd rather not start it if I'm going to have to come off it, because it impact's negatively on the cycling. The one thing both the neurologist and I are sure of is that the negative effects of the ADHD go down considerably the more I ride. So, giving up any riding would be very undesirable. Interestingly enough, I can't seem to get my employer to buy into the argument that I should ride for eight hours a day and work for 4. They'd probably get more out of me that way.