Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N+1, ..purrs like a kitten

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 11:02 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, ever since giving my MTB to my daughter (sort of in exchange for her 1984 Univega Nuovo Sport), I've been thinking about getting another MTB..a nice hardtail..maybe around $1,000 or so.
Then again, N+1 is also applicable to banjos and amateur radio gear..either of which would be significantly more money.

However, someone, somewhere, decided I needed another cat (I already have five...a cruiser cat, an MT cat, a cyclocross cat, a trials cat, and a sleek, black road cat).

On Monday, June 1, a little kitten was extricated from being stuck at a construction site at the Supreme Court. One of my neighbors works there and brought him home so his wife could take care of him. This part gets a little cloudy, but the bottom line is that my wife took him in to add to the mayhem we already have. He is cute...took him to a local vet over a two day period and he kept getting weaker...so took him to our regular animal hospital and I am happy to say after a few days in intensive (and expensive) care, he came home today. I could have bought two MTBs, but neither of them would purr and lick my face.

Here he is..I hope the pic loads...this is HENRY in his private room at the hospital.

Oh well, there is always next year for a new bike.....

Pete (cat herder extraordinaire)
Old 06-06-09, 11:17 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He looks like our adult cat did as a kitten, cute little guy for sure. looks like he will be a live wire when he gets well. Good on ya for saving his life.
Old 06-07-09, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wait for the first O'dark thirty,are you still breathing? check,it'll be all worth it then.
Old 06-07-09, 09:49 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dawes56
So, ever since giving my MTB to my daughter (sort of in exchange for her 1984 Univega Nuovo Sport), I've been thinking about getting another MTB..a nice hardtail..maybe around $1,000 or so.
Then again, N+1 is also applicable to banjos and amateur radio gear..either of which would be significantly more money.

However, someone, somewhere, decided I needed another cat (I already have five...a cruiser cat, an MT cat, a cyclocross cat, a trials cat, and a sleek, black road cat).

On Monday, June 1, a little kitten was extricated from being stuck at a construction site at the Supreme Court. One of my neighbors works there and brought him home so his wife could take care of him. This part gets a little cloudy, but the bottom line is that my wife took him in to add to the mayhem we already have. He is cute...took him to a local vet over a two day period and he kept getting weaker...so took him to our regular animal hospital and I am happy to say after a few days in intensive (and expensive) care, he came home today. I could have bought two MTBs, but neither of them would purr and lick my face.

Here he is..I hope the pic loads...this is HENRY in his private room at the hospital.

Oh well, there is always next year for a new bike.....

Pete (cat herder extraordinaire)
Your wife is an enabler of the highest quality.

Bikes AND cats .

Good for you (and good for him, too).
Old 06-07-09, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
He's a little cutie. Having animals helps our humanity I think. I know I drive more patiently with the dogs in the car. OTOH. put our cat in the car and I rive like a maniac, as the yowling plants the seed of insanity in my mind.
Old 06-07-09, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Well done! Soon, Henry will learn that the best place for a nap or stroll is the keyboard you happen to be using. He will figure out that you need close supervision while you're trying to get through the pile-up to work Palmyra... gee, the top of this radio is really nice and warm, but why is he stroking that thing with his fingers... I should investigate. Looks like he'll be a trooper.
Old 06-07-09, 12:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a cat person, wel done!

Watch out for the sand though.
Old 06-07-09, 03:56 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by East Hill
Your wife is an enabler of the highest quality.

Bikes AND cats .

Good for you (and good for him, too).
+100... Well done! The upside to N+1 in bikes is that bikes almost never get in noisy fights with one another. And bikes rarely damage furntiture either. Cats do seem to get along well with bikes though, and are often quite curious about them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5392.jpg (94.2 KB, 3 views)
IMG_5393.jpg (95.4 KB, 5 views)
IMG_5390.jpg (98.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-09, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Although I have a soft spot for the furry bastids, I am allergic. When my wife insisted that she have a house cat, I had to stay on antihistamines year-around. So glad that's over with!
Old 06-07-09, 08:30 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick followup... thanks for all the kind words. Henry is doing very well...eating, playing, and using his tiny litter box... So...I would say that in another couple of weeks I will have my hands full with him...not to mention the other five!

Since this is a bike forum...I did not get to ride today, although is was 80 and sunny. Kittens have their own special dietary needs and I was running around trying to find some kitten milk replacement stuff...when I did, I stocked up!

billydonn---that looks like a wonderful cat.. he (she) probably thought FELT meant something else.

OK, no more cat stories..unless Henry learns to ride.

Pete
Old 06-12-09, 01:22 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dawes56
Just a quick followup... thanks for all the kind words. Henry is doing very well...eating, playing, and using his tiny litter box...
OK, no more cat stories..unless Henry learns to ride.

Pete
Yo Pete,
More cat stories would be fine with me! I hope Henry is still doing well. This is Gabriella (Gabby). She is easily over 50 in cat years, so this is not off topic! Previous featured feline was young Redford, who is not yet 50.
Attached Images
IMG_5774a.jpg (98.4 KB, 8 views)
IMG_5776a.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-12-09, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 'wicked cute' factor is off the charts on this one - What a cutie

Three cats here - Our rule? Whatever they want they get -
Old 06-12-09, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
This reminds me of the time I was at my desk at work, and the phone rings. It's my wife, it goes something like: Wife: Your not gonna believe what happened (meow). Me: What? W: (meow) Two kittens showed (meow) up at the back door. M: where did they come from? W: I don't (meow) know, but the kids have already seen them(meow).....
We already had two, now we had four, one of them had kittens, bringing the total to seven, which i entirely too many.

Good luck with the little guy, he has that outlaw gleam in his eye.