Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Peaks on helmets.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Peaks on helmets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 02:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Peaks on helmets.

I think I have finally succumbed to being a true(er) roadie.

Last sunday went out on Boreas and had a slight problem with the neck by the end of the ride. It ached a bit.

Now being and EX- Mountain biker- I have always had helmets with peaks fitted. For offroad you need them.They may only be small but they do keep a lot of mud and other nasty stuff out of the eyes. But last Sunday I noticed one thing about that peak on the road ride- I could see it.

I had to raise the head just a bit higher to look forward on the road- and I supposed it was not helped by the fact that Boreas has the bars 3" below the saddle. So tonight I have had the helmet on to improve the forward vision. tried raising the front of the helmet but I felt exposed a bit so the final resort was to take off the peak.

Let you know after the weekends ride if it has improved vision and neck comfort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
peak.jpg (60.7 KB, 67 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 05-14-09, 02:32 PM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have the right answer.
Old 05-14-09, 02:53 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Several Bell Helmets have visors (peaks) that are removable, MTB one day Road the next.

Reference Bell Influx and Bell Slant. Both have the removable "Blade visor

Like the Rudy, I think it's a great idea for multi media riders.
Old 05-14-09, 02:59 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm assuming that peak is what we call a visor.

I love the visor on my helmet, but then again, I'm usually riding a recumbent and so my head is either straight up or leaning back a bit. That visor is very nice in keeping the sun out of my eyes. I have a back-up helmet that I keep in my car, in case I forget my primary helmet. I've had to use it 3 or 4 times over the past year. It doesn't have a visor and I hate it. I keep reaching up to adjust my helmet forward to get the visor into better position, and then I remember there is no visor and I murmur bad things about the helmet.

I wish I could get one that was another inch or so longer. I know there is a carbon fiber one that is a few inches longer. May end up getting one of those some day.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-14-09, 03:11 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience, removing the visor eliminates neck pain.

I no longer buy helmets with visors.
Old 05-14-09, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
You're getting there, stap. Next you'll be shaving your legs.

On rainy days I wear a cycling cap under my helmet to keep rain off the spectacles. It's nice to be able to flip the peak (visor) up to accommodate riding the drops.
Old 05-14-09, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
You're getting there, stap. Next you'll be shaving your legs.

On rainy days I wear a cycling cap under my helmet to keep rain off the spectacles. It's nice to be able to flip the peak (visor) up to accommodate riding the drops.
So that's what that little lid is for, makes sense.
Old 05-14-09, 06:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Many MTB riders remove the visors for the same reason, neck pain.
Old 05-15-09, 03:39 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started riding last year my brother had loaned me his old bike and gave me a helemt to use. It had a visor/peak( took me a while to figure out what you were talking about) but I soon took it off and never looked back.
I have bought a new bike since but still use the helment he "loaned" me! I gave him $20 last weekend when I finally rode with him!
Old 05-15-09, 06:55 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
In my experience, removing the visor eliminates neck pain.

I no longer buy helmets with visors.
I agree I remove the visor on my helmets as well.

My favorite helmet is a Schwin that I paid $20 for. It has a adjustment knob that makes fit very easy.
I have a older high end Bell that is ok. I don't understand why you would pay $100 for a helmet when the $20 Schwin is good?
Old 05-15-09, 09:35 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=v70cat;8923294]I agree I remove the visor on my helmets as well.

My favorite helmet is a Schwin that I paid $20 for. It has a adjustment knob that makes fit very easy.
I have a older high end Bell that is ok. I don't understand why you would pay $100 for a helmet when the $20 Schwin is good?[/QUOTE]

I go to the LBS and start at the cheaper helmets and go up till I find a helmet that fits- has the right colour (No flashy Orange ones for me)- has the right certification and feels comfortable. Unfortunately that has not always stopped at the $100 mark.

And Back to that Peak/Visor-- I have never noticed it being in my line of sight before. Mainly because Offroad it was covered in crud and served it purpose. Just that last week- no rain to force me to keep my head down and no bright sun to make me use the peak to shield my eyes.

It was also the first time on Boreas on a sensible distance since last Autumn.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-15-09, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean what we in the civilized world call visors, right? Never heard the term "peaks" before...
FWIW, I won't buy a helmet without them. I commute to the east in the morning, the west in the afternoon, squinting all the way. In spots at certain times of year, when I'm riding into valleys, I actually look DOWN at the sun, nestled in notches in the horizon. Visors make it barely bearable. In recent years, maybe in response to complaints like yours, helmet manufacturers have been mounting them higher on the shell, so they don't provide the shade they should. I often extend mine with strips of duct tape so they come down a half-inch or so farther.
Old 05-15-09, 11:59 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=stapfam;8924126]
Originally Posted by v70cat
I agree I remove the visor on my helmets as well.

I have a older high end Bell that is ok. I don't understand why you would pay $100 for a helmet when the $20 Schwin is good?[/QUOTE]

I go to the LBS and start at the cheaper helmets and go up till I find a helmet that fits- has the right colour (No flashy Orange ones for me)- has the right certification and feels comfortable. Unfortunately that has not always stopped at the $100 mark.

And Back to that Peak/Visor-- I have never noticed it being in my line of sight before. Mainly because Offroad it was covered in crud and served it purpose. Just that last week- no rain to force me to keep my head down and no bright sun to make me use the peak to shield my eyes.

It was also the first time on Boreas on a sensible distance since last Autumn.
VISIBILITY, Think Visibility...

Besides, when you ride, you can't see the helmet anyway.
Old 05-15-09, 03:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a helmet with "peaks."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
helmetflying.jpg (25.9 KB, 3 views)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-15-09, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I get around this sticky problem by maintaining a level of slothness that precludes leaning that far forward and down. It's worked so far just fine.....

That and the visor works well as a rain shield. I just adjust it so I'm barely peeking under the rim and VOILA, no rain in my eyes
Old 05-15-09, 06:21 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's what I am thinking of buying:

https://www.lobosolo.com/visor/

Old 05-15-09, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Giro helmets with visors and have noticed that the visor moves up and down some, on the helmet. If I am riding the drops, I will push the visor back up on the helmet, but do not push the helmet back. I don't think the helmet is designed to work well if the helmet is pushed back on your head.
Old 05-16-09, 08:28 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been satisfied with the drip protection of the removable visors on my Bell helmets. Rain leaks between the helmet and the visor and then drips right on my glasses. If they had a little more ventilation I would consider one of the Bern helmets. https://www.bernunlimited.com/2008/watts.html
Old 05-16-09, 11:21 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I use a visor on my helmet to help hold my rain cap on my bike, and (as Louis notes above) in heavy rain I wear a cap with a bill under my helmet. I started with a cycling cap - but in really heavy rain (like on day last week), I'll wear the longest-billed baseball cap I can find.
Old 05-17-09, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really not cool, beside removing the visor/peak, I have a mirror mounted to my white Schwinn Helmet. I guess us older guys have less to prove.
Old 05-17-09, 11:01 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I am really not cool, beside removing the visor/peak, I have a mirror mounted to my white Schwinn Helmet. I guess us older guys have less to prove.
Are you suggesting that having a visor on a helmet is somehow "cool"? I don't think so. But yeah, the mirror is pretty fredly.
Old 05-17-09, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in NYC anything to make me safer is a big plus.

The bike lane has double park cars all the time, with my mirror I can see what is next to me a move over.
Old 05-17-09, 12:54 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wet ride today so not a conclusive test. To stop the rain hitting the glasses- I had to keep my face lowered. So no neck ache but for what reason?

Spike Milligan