Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you recommend using a bike stand?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you recommend using a bike stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the perspective of an out of shape noob:

I've been recreationally wrenching on motorcycles and scooters for 40 years off and on. Last year I bought a hydraulic lift table to bring the entire bike up to 30" off of the floor. I wish I'd done it years ago! Gone are the days of laying or sitting on the floor, twicting at odd angles. Having everything right in front of you, sitting on a milk crate or rolling stool is not only more comfortable, but you take your time to do things right instead of hurrying to get things done.

When I pulled the bicycle down form the rafters last week for the first time in 15 years, I was very happy to have my Park work stand to hold it for me at a comfortable height for cleaning and lubing while I rolled around it on the wheeled stool. It was fun, and it wouldn't have been quite as much so were I sitting on the floor.

A luxury? Yea, but as we get older, those luxuries almost become must-haves.

Steve
Xtracycle conversion on 1997 KHS Summit X
Old 05-18-09, 10:09 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
So it definitely sounds like a "Really Nice To Have" type of item. At a minimum I'll ask for it for Christmas!
Old 05-18-09, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Nishiki Sport, GT Talera, Bianchi Imola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the risk of echoing much of the above... I do all my own work and survived just fine without a work stand for 20 years. As I get older my willingness to keep bending down and my eyesight continue to wane even as my disposable income waxes. I bought myself an Ultimate Pro workstand last year and enjoy my time wrenching even more now thanks to it.

Not a must-have have for the young, but a very nice extra for those of us on the 50+ board
Old 05-18-09, 11:10 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've used PARK repair stands for 30 years and wouldn't be without one! It's a Must-Have for me, but then I do all my own work on our bikes; except frame repair/building.

Just about any bike repair or maintenence job is easier to do with the bike on the stand.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-18-09, 02:16 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by dcmurf
At the risk of echoing much of the above... I do all my own work and survived just fine without a work stand for 20 years. As I get older my willingness to keep bending down and my eyesight continue to wane even as my disposable income waxes. I bought myself an Ultimate Pro workstand last year and enjoy my time wrenching even more now thanks to it.

Not a must-have have for the young, but a very nice extra for those of us on the 50+ board
At 53 with a BAD back I don't like to bend over much anymore, so maybe I won't wait until Christmas. For now, hanging it on straps/bungee's works for getting it in the air, but it does sound more and more like getting a good stand would definitely have it's advantages.
Old 05-18-09, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
It also depends on what you are willing to do maintenance-wise. Truing wheels, adjusting brakes and derailleurs, definitely gotta have a work stand. Lots of other things don't need a stand but its helpful. Mounting racks, pedals, fenders, all much easier with a stand. If your idea of maintenance is lubing the chain ya probably don't need a stand.
Old 05-18-09, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I like having a stand, a lot. I find it makes most maintenance tasks easier. I also find that it really helps in cleaning the bike. I keep mine right inside the garage door....I open the garage, throw the stand on the driveway, pop my bike on the stand, remove the wheels, and clean it with a bucket of water and car wash soap and brush. While it's up for cleaning, it's a simple matter to run through brakes, cable adjustments, etc. Everything is easier w/a bike stand.
I agree, I am getting too old to keep flipping the bike over, making adjustments then flipping it back to see if they worked, the stand makes it so much easier, working basically at eye level etc. Only have had mine for a month or so, but I am glad I got it.
Old 05-18-09, 03:21 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
If your idea of maintenance is lubing the chain ya probably don't need a stand.
Uh oh! You mean I'm supposed to lube that thing?

Mainly, I'm just learning and hope to be able to do more than just clean the chain type maintenance, so not sure how much a stand will help, but it sounds like the more I get involved the more I will need a stand.
Old 05-18-09, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
Uh oh! You mean I'm supposed to lube that thing?

Mainly, I'm just learning and hope to be able to do more than just clean the chain type maintenance, so not sure how much a stand will help, but it sounds like the more I get involved the more I will need a stand.
I just got the "Spin Doctor Essential Repair Stand" from Nashbar for 79 bucks. Keeps me from getting on my ancient knees to clean and lube. I'm not doing my on wrench work nor do I expect to but getting the bike off the ground is one of the most useful things I've done. Really nice to have and mine folds up so I can through it in the car to clean up the grandkids bikes.
Old 05-18-09, 04:10 PM
Lance Legweak

While I'm thinking about it, is there a proper/improper way to clamp onto the bike? I see the stands that clamp onto the seat post. Can you also use the seat tube, top tube, down tube if needed or is that a no no?

Just curious if one way is preferred over the other or if anyway is OK?
Old 05-18-09, 04:15 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine adjusts and spins 360 deg, so it can clamp on either top or seat tube. I dont think there is a right or wrong on that (for steel and aluminum atleast). I find it easier to use on the top tube myself.
Old 05-18-09, 04:45 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I always clamp on the seatpost if possible especially on carbon bikes. I also prefer the screw type tightener to the lever clamps as it is less likely that you will clamp to tightly
Old 05-18-09, 04:46 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
While I'm thinking about it, is there a proper/improper way to clamp onto the bike? I see the stands that clamp onto the seat post. Can you also use the seat tube, top tube, down tube if needed or is that a no no?

Just curious if one way is preferred over the other or if anyway is OK?
Mine clamps the downtube just above the BB - I tighten it just enough to keep the bike stable. I am not sure I trust my CF bike in it though - those tubes are not ment to take crushing forces, the fibers don't run in that direction.
Old 05-18-09, 04:57 PM
Crazy ole cat lady

Bikes: One built up on a Nashbar frame, one built up from a Paramount frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what its worth there is a BF thread on making a stand of your own cheaply. Its at:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/103687-homemade-repair-stand-pic.html

That is one of those ancient threads (2005) that recently started up again. The designs discussed are all about using common black iron plumbing pipe and parts.
Old 05-18-09, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
If you have exposed rafters in your garage, all you need is two rafter hooks and two ratcheting cargo tie downs. You can hang the bike from the rafters at a very comfortable working height. Less than $30.00 at your local hardwate store.

I have been using this on my LWB recumbent and my wifes DF bike for years. I particularly like sitting in a lawn chair while I clean and lube the drivetrain. No more back problems from being hunched over.

Advantages; low cost and open access to both sides of the bike.
Negatives; It moves around a little. Hasn't ever been a problem. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 05-18-09 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 05:08 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Most shops clamp on to the seat post (or a special seat post replacement used by the shop to replace your seat post). They do this for a reason.......liability. They do not want to scratch your paint. They do not want to crush or bend your tubes. They do not want to kill your carbon. They do not want to squeeze your brake cables into the paint or carbon so that they scratch your bike.

Use your seatpost to clamp to, if you have a fancy seatpost or a carbon one, pull yours out and use a replacement you keep around from the scrap pile.

Race teams have changed over to the sort of stand that supports the bottom bracket. That is a result of all that carbon and verrrrrrrrrry light tubing.
Old 05-18-09, 05:54 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, what maddmaxx said. In addition to clamping on the SP, I also use a rag on top of that to make sure stuff doesn't get scuffed up by the clamp, if you care about that kind of stuff.

A workstand is just a tool, but you don't have to be a 50+er to appreciate that a good stand will keep your bike where you position it and make things easier to work on. You get what you pay for, YMMV, etc.
Old 05-18-09, 06:05 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
If you have exposed rafters in your garage, all you need is two rafter hooks and two ratcheting cargo tie downs. You can hang the bike from the rafters at a very comfortable working height. Less than $30.00 at your local hardwate store.

I have been using this on my LWB recumbent and my wifes DF bike for years. I particularly like sitting in a lawn chair while I clean and lube the drivetrain. No more back problems from being hunched over. bk
That's basically what I have now and it's nice. I just read that the stand will stop the swinging and make it easier, plus you can use a stand in the driveway to wash the bike.
Old 05-18-09, 06:08 PM
Lance Legweak

Lots of good advice I hadn't thought about. I have a CF seat-post, so may need something different with a stand. The stand I was looking at actually is less expensive and has a screw down type of clamp, which now sounds like that is actually better than the more expensive quick clamp type models, something I hadn't considered. Guess I should bug my LBS where I got the bike and see what they recommend too.

I'm sure glad I found you folks! You are saving me a lot of headaches!!
Old 05-18-09, 06:17 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Another option would be to find someone with nothing better to do, and let him hold it up for you, like this:

Oh come on now!! Isn't this example rather, umm, bush league?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 05-18-09, 07:20 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geesh, I can't believe you guys. I have been perfectly happy working on my bikes and my wifes either on the floor or on the bike rack on my truck. I have even clamped my bike rack in my big vice in my garage and used that as a stand. Now you have me thinking maybe a stand would be okay.
Old 05-18-09, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I borrowed some of the ideas for home built stands and built my own for around 20.00.
Old 05-18-09, 07:51 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't have any carbon seat posts, but if I did, I would probably keep a cheap metal post around to use for clamping the bike while working on it in the stand.
Old 05-18-09, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I control the swinging on the hanging setup with a bungee from a chainstay to an eyeplate set in the garage floor with redheads. I have used the setup to do complete rehabs and service, r&r BB's, headsets, brakes, derailleurs and recable jobs. I have never had a problem and haven't had to get someone else to steady the bike while I performed a task. I used the rig for about a year before I put the eyeplate in the floor, without any problems.

I think it is a great setup for the home mechanic. A pro working in a shop would probably want the stand because they do so much work on different bikes. Save yourself some money and I know you'll be happy with the results. bk
Old 05-18-09, 08:34 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I never clamp my aluminum frame; I don't want to damage the paint or possibly crush the tube. I've been clamping to the cheap carbon seatpost that came with the bike with no problems.

I've had the bike about three years and 12,000 miles.

The stand is very helpful for:
Fine tuning the 10 speed derailleur shifting.
Replacing a cable.
Brake pad adjustments.
Rewrapping bar tape.
Changing pedals
Troubleshooting a clicking sound in the FSA crankset, then pulling the crank and readjusting it.
Replacing the external bottom bracket.

Holding the bike when a wheel is removed.
Cleaning and oiling the chain is a lot easier.
Cleaning mud, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.