Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Things I enjoy about being over 50. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/542557-things-i-enjoy-about-being-over-50-a.html)

trackhub 05-17-09 04:58 PM

Things I enjoy about being over 50.

I haven't posted here for some time, so I figured, "What the heck."

A brief update: Last time I participated here, we were all talking about Colonoscopies. Well, I had mine done, in October of '07. Nothing showing, I'm good for ten years. Interesting procedure. Good drugs they put me on for the procedure, whatever it was. I could have gone over to Harvard Square, and hung out with the kids. I would have fit right in. :lol:

My glasses are now no-line Bifocals.

So what do you enjoy about being over 50? My list:

-If I go into Best Buy (I try not to, but they're the only place left I guess) I can walk all over the store and the blue jerseys leave me alone, which is fine by me.

-Cops in their 20's call me "sir". What a hoot!

-I know what this "¢" is. (Uh, is that even used anymore?)

-I can go buy beer at the local store, and not get the "hairy eye" from the store manager. (No really, that happened up until I was about 40. I was last "carded" at age 33, I think.)

-My fixie has brakes on both wheels. The 20-something "cool crowd" doesn't like it? Too bad, I don't have to care.

-Money.

-A good amount of accrued vacation time, which I can use for riding my fixie. Hey, some people take vacation days to go fishing or play golf. I'll take a ride.

The Weak Link 05-17-09 05:04 PM

Sounds good to me. Riding a fixie without becoming a hipster is an art form I understand.

crtreedude 05-17-09 05:20 PM

Things I like about being 50.

1. My body is in the progress of being a little uglier each day - so therefore there is no need to obsess about how I look. However good I look today, tomorrow will be worse. Very freeing.

2. If I can out ride all the youngsters in the area, it is like them doing the TDF. My riding is graded on a handicap.

3. Money

4. Time

5. Knowing what I want to do with my life. I don't have to find myself, if I haven't found myself by now, I am lost beyond hope. :lol:

6. If I am ignored by a pretty girl, well, I have a good excuse. It isn't because I am ugly or a nerd, it is because I am old.

7. No ambition to be great at any sport, so I just enjoy it.

8. No teenagers (our youngest is 26) - this is an incredibly great thing.

9. Finished paying for college, for our kids.

10. Being able to get up everyday and work because I want to, not because I have to.

woodenidol 05-17-09 05:28 PM

You want to work? smile.

RoMad 05-17-09 05:31 PM

What I like about being over 50........
:giver: Not having to worry about how I look in my bike gear.

DnvrFox 05-17-09 05:55 PM

And what I like being almost 70??

Breathe in

Breathe out . . .

Wake 05-17-09 07:30 PM

My single-speed reminds me of my first bike (1955 - 10 years old) - a Schwinn with a horn in the tank!

Well, sort-of.

patentcad 05-17-09 07:40 PM

Things I like about being over 50:

Tom Bombadil 05-17-09 07:46 PM

Like about being 50+ .... hmmm

- Having put 4 children through college and only 1 to go.
- Finally having a fun car to drive, for the first time in my life.
- More time off of work since I went to a 75% assignment.
- Fewer demands on my time.
- Much better bicycles than I have ever owned.
- Less stress in my life (still hoping for even less in the future)
- More time to travel a bit.

Floyd 05-17-09 09:49 PM

one thing I like about being over 50 is being able to say I am over 50...

zonatandem 05-17-09 10:14 PM

W-O-R-K is a 4-letter word!
Now we are not only parents, but grandparents . . . and great-grandparents (see what hell we started?!)
Being 'just 50' was a l-o-n-g time ago!
We are now the older generation, so show some respect for your elders!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

maddmaxx 05-18-09 03:49 AM

Frankly, I'd rather be under 50.

NOS88 05-18-09 05:20 AM

1. I pretty much don't have to explain myself to anyone. I know who I am (warts and all) and have come to a very comfortable acceptance of me.

2. I've lived long enough to understand that my parents were much smarter than I thought they were, and that I'm much smarter than my kids think I am.

3. I get to watch my kids continue to develop into the people they'll ultimately become.

4. I continue to learn and grow as a person in directions that I deem important, instead of what others expect of me.

5. I've got 50+ years of memories, experiences, relationships, history, etc. - most of which I really treasure.

rumrunn6 05-18-09 01:10 PM

I'm not 60 yet.

I'd rather be 23 again.

The Weak Link 05-18-09 01:44 PM

Grandchildren, proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

palookabutt 05-18-09 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by crtreedude (Post 8935004)
2. If I can out ride all the youngsters in the area, it is like them doing the TDF. My riding is graded on a handicap.

+1 for sure. Nothing like seeing someone working hard to catch up to you, then you discover it's a 30-something with shaved legs, a fancy bike and team kit.

7. No ambition to be great at any sport, so I just enjoy it.

+1 again.

10. Being able to get up everyday and work because I want to, not because I have to.

...and again. A recipe for happiness is to love what you do for a living. :thumb:

crtreedude 05-18-09 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by palookabutt (Post 8941380)
+1 for sure. Nothing like seeing someone working hard to catch up to you, then you discover it's a 30-something with shaved legs, a fancy bike and team kit.

One of the highlights of my biking was one day I took my trusty hardtail and went over a 3,000 foot mountain on rock road to Arenal, and after pigging out at the German Bakery, proceeded to go to La Fortuna. After refueling again, as I was leaving La Fortuna, two youngsters on road bikes passed me, so I decided to race them, I passed them going about 40 kilometers per hour and held up to that level for about 7 kilometers when they gave up. :D

If those youngsters only knew that they got beat by an old geezer after he had already ridden 70 kilometers, I bet they would have scrapped their bikes. :p

Don't mess with a commuter...

dcvelo 05-18-09 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 8935738)

Pcaddy, are you sure you've considered the alternative here?

rubic 05-18-09 06:25 PM

1. Just turned 60.
2. Made it to 60.
3. The best is yet to come.

thompsonpost 05-19-09 08:09 AM

1. I get paid for nearly everything I do for people, not because I asked to, but because they always ask, "What do I owe you?"
I always say, "Don't worry about it."

2. I finally know everything I thought I knew at 18.

3. I've learned how to walk away from everything I need to at the time, without regrets of any kind.

Timtruro 05-19-09 01:29 PM

About being 60? Two grown sons who make me proud each day. Four grandchildren who never cease to surprise and amaze me. A wife who lets me ride pretty much whenever I want.

Wakin' up on this side of the ground.....priceless.

cranky old dude 05-19-09 04:58 PM

Kinda funny if you think about it.....

I'm chastised for only driving the speed limit,
yet held in high esteem for riding my bike at any speed at all!

The young waitress will patiently wait for me to decide on my order,
yet two hours later she's behind me impatiently blowing her horn as I slow to search for a specific side road!

It's great being older, except on the highway where I'm just another obstacle in the mad dash that is life.

Sigurdd50 05-20-09 12:26 PM

Money? Who's got money?

One thing I like about being over 50: Sex is better
(I'm surprised no one mentioned this already)

another thing I like: commuting to work everyday on my bike (don't need the car to run around during the day, getting things for my kids)

djnzlab1 05-20-09 04:10 PM

Telling people I ride a bike every day.

HI,
Even my Dr raises an Eyebrow when I say I rode around 30 Miles today..
They just can't believe i can do it, at 58+ :roflmao2:
So I envite them to come along...:eek: whimpsss
Yee of littlle guts ,no pain no gain, the one thing I enjoy is ridding alone at 630 in the morning in the country side without too many cars. :love:
Doug

Sigurdd50 05-20-09 04:15 PM

Even my Dr raises an Eyebrow when I say I rode around 30 Miles today..
They just can't believe i can do it, at 58+
Go figure!
I work with Two Bicycles and a Map, organizing the three largest bike tours in Wisconsin (SAGBRAW, GRABAAWR, and BIke Northwoods)
The average age of the rider is around 55-56 (4-600 riders on each tour). Each year we will have a couple riders that are in their upper 70's! and they usually finish way before me.

mark