Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

62 Yrs Old - Heart Rate?

Old 09-02-15, 01:31 PM
  #76  
Viking55803
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 149

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
And hasn't posted since 2011, probably not in the forum much. Digging up bones on this thread.

Bill
Of course: old dogs digging up old bones!
Viking55803 is offline  
Old 09-02-15, 01:43 PM
  #77  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,321

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium DA, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
68 soon, I'm glad it's still beating.
That is basically how I measure mine...

...beating? Yes!

Let's go for a ride.

And I have found it is always a plus when it is still beating when I get back.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Old 09-02-15, 03:03 PM
  #78  
Mandeville
Senior Member
 
Mandeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 93

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HR is of course very individualistic and it MHR can vary depending upon a variety of fitness and health variables for an individual.

Actually if you are minimally fit and are healthy then the best gauge of your pace is first your breathing rate and then the strength or freshness of your legs at any given stage of your workout.

It's actually quite remarkable how much your breathing is linked to your HR or zone workout. I seldom wear a HR monitor. Only sometimes. The breathing and leg performance or status tells me all I know along with recorded time segments along often ridden routes.

I'm 70 years old 6'5" and 212 pounds. I've very fit. My MR is 170. I obtain that figure by wearing a HR monitor and maxing myself out. My MR did improve with an increase in fitness although some say that is not possible.

Regardless, while riding I just "listen" to my body and that serves me very well for enjoyment and performance.
Mandeville is offline  
Old 09-03-15, 04:21 AM
  #79  
maddmaxx 
Small Member
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,164

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11028 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
I'm only concerned about heart rates of 0
__________________
We are an empire. Be sure to use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline  
Old 03-09-16, 11:13 PM
  #80  
Bojangles62
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
62 year old male with stage 1 hypertension currently on BP medicine. I hit 170 BPM in rpm today. Most the time I was in the 160's. Been doing this for about 9 months. Love the adrenilen high. Am I in danger?
Bojangles62 is offline  
Old 03-11-16, 08:55 AM
  #81  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,629

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
I just had a physical, and walked in the door certain the doc was going to put me on statins, like virtually every one else I know my age. My Dad died of a massive heart attack at 68. But then again, he smoked 2-3 packs a day on one lung for most of his life (he had a lung collapsed to treat TB).

My resting heart rate was 51.
BP started at 154/85, taken again (129/75) and again before I left the doc's office (115/65) ... Ya think I have white coat fever?
Bad cholesterol way down and good cholesterol way up. The doc couldn't believe neither my diet nor my daily routine had changed since the last test.

Walked out the door, no statins. He ordered another test to have a look at the heart arteries, though.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
www.photo395.com
Biker395 is offline  
Old 03-12-16, 09:57 AM
  #82  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 14,205

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA View Post
Please, please see your favorite doctor if you have one because not only he has the right equipment but also the knowledge.

Heart rate varies so much between individuals under so many different circumstances.

There are so many variables, you should not rely on any one of us even on this website (nothing against this great website by the way)
I once asked my doctor to do MaxHR measurements on me. She set me up for a "test" and it was anything but MHR.

Fact is, MHR is not a very useful number for training zones. It's a lot more useful to know your LT. But see the doctor for an estimate of your health and condition for strenuous exercise.
Road Fan is online now  
Old 03-13-16, 09:16 AM
  #83  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,392

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 42 Posts
True about LT vs. MHR!

As others have pointed out, anyone embarking on a training regimen should get cleared by their provider first, but few docs who are not in the business of sports training will aid and abet actions like LT or VO2 Max measurement for, anyone, let alone patients over 50. Many simply don't know about this stuff, it's patently risky, and competition-level training has no known health benefit that a half hour per day of brisk walking doesn't provide.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 09:22 AM
  #84  
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
True about LT vs. MHR!

As others have pointed out, anyone embarking on a training regimen should get cleared by their provider first, but few docs who are not in the business of sports training will aid and abet actions like LT or VO2 Max measurement for, anyone, let alone patients over 50. Many simply don't know about this stuff, it's patently risky, and competition-level training has no known health benefit that a half hour per day of brisk walking doesn't provide.
Er, I don't think the latter statement is true. I think you'll find that there's a strong positive correlation between high VO2 max and life expectancy, and while genetics plays a big part, VO2 max is trainable: and brisk walking won't do anything for it.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 09:32 AM
  #85  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,392

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Er, I don't think the latter statement is true. I think you'll find that there's a strong positive correlation between high VO2 max and life expectancy, and while genetics plays a big part, VO2 max is trainable: and brisk walking won't do anything for it.
I'm not familiar with that literature, but I wonder if the magnitude of the VO2 differences affecting life expectancy aren't greater than the trainable increment. The level of training required to move VO2 also carries significant risks at the population level. Valid as it may be, this is just an observed correlation and VO2 Max could be a marker for any number of other, more important variables. Moderate exercise, by contrast, has been shown in several prospective studies to improve many measures of health. Seen from the point of view of the health care provider, whose job after all, is to promote health while avoiding unnecessary risk, moderate exercise is the way to go.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 09:33 AM
  #86  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,424

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My doc is a rider. He wanted me on statins (when my numbers have been the same the past 30yrs). Nopers. Aint happenin'. They are so geared and automated to writing scripts for people they really dont know and based on age or a few other factors. Welcome to the new healthcare era.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 09:43 AM
  #87  
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I'm not familiar with that literature, but I wonder if the magnitude of the VO2 differences affecting life expectancy aren't greater than the trainable increment. The level of training required to move VO2 also carries significant risks at the population level. Valid as it may be, this is just an observed correlation and VO2 Max could be a marker for any number of other, more important variables. Moderate exercise, by contrast, has been shown in several prospective studies to improve many measures of health. Seen from the point of view of the health care provider, whose job after all, is to promote health while avoiding unnecessary risk, moderate exercise is the way to go.
There are articles accessible online.

Moderate exercise produces dramatic health benefits, of course, if your control group is a largely sedentary and, increasingly, obese population. Research on the differences in population health between the moderate exercise cohort and the competitive athletes will be harder to do and probably isn't worthwhile from a public health perspective because the priority is to get fat idlers off the couch - and they're more likely to be responsive to a message that they should walk for 30 minutes a day than to being told they should spend ten hours a week on the bike, including a couple of hours of high-intensity interval training.

However, that does not mean that for those of us who are prepared to make the effort, intensive exercise is a waste of time, health-wise. There seems to be mounting evidence that even among the elderly, various important metabolic markers are improved more by brief periods of intense activity than by more gentle activity. One should probably do both.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 03-13-16, 09:49 AM
  #88  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,392

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
There are articles accessible online.

Moderate exercise produces dramatic health benefits, of course, if your control group is a largely sedentary and, increasingly, obese population. Research on the differences in population health between the moderate exercise cohort and the competitive athletes will be harder to do and probably isn't worthwhile from a public health perspective because the priority is to get fat idlers off the couch - and they're more likely to be responsive to a message that they should walk for 30 minutes a day than to being told they should spend ten hours a week on the bike, including a couple of hours of high-intensity interval training.

However, that does not mean that for those of us who are prepared to make the effort, intensive exercise is a waste of time, health-wise. There seems to be mounting evidence that even among the elderly, various important metabolic markers are improved more by brief periods of intense activity than by more gentle activity. One should probably do both.
I'm sure everyone here agrees with you.
MoAlpha is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
crank_addict
Classic & Vintage
6
05-18-16 06:37 PM
cricket1116
Texas
2
04-13-09 12:01 PM
ilmooz
Advocacy & Safety
13
06-19-08 06:24 AM
wmcmiii
Touring
4
09-17-06 09:51 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.