Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek recalls 16,000 hybrid bikes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 08:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ironically, this is the suspension that they took from a LeMond road bike. I know some 50+'ers have reported purchasing Trek hybrids.

Trek recalls 16,000 bikes

Trek of Waterloo is voluntarily recalling certain bicycles that may leave riders more at risk of crashing, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said. The 16,000 bikes involved are 2009 model year Trek 7300, 7300WSD and 7500 with a suspension fork that has "Bontrager SPA" printed on it. The bikes were sold at Trek dealers nationwide from August 2008 through April 2009 for between $640 and $940. The bikes’ fork can lose alignment, causing the front wheel to turn unexpectedly and the rider to lose control. Four misaligned forks have been found; no injuries have been reported. For more information, call Trek at 800-382-2453.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-19-09, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and sons bike are in the shop as I am typing this. The LBS told me it was a part that they forgot to install from the factory when they put the thing together. I have a 7500 but it was not part of the recall. When they told me about it they said it was no hurry to get it in and that Trek didn't put a do not ride with recall.
Old 05-21-09, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The bikes’ fork can lose alignment, causing the front wheel to turn unexpectedly and the rider to lose control." This is hilarious, I thought it was the riders obligation to keep the fork in alignment to avoiding a crash? Now it is the bike's fault.
Old 05-23-09, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it would depend on why as well as how suddenly and severely the fork loses alignment.
Otherwise, for example, a tube valve that leaks suddenly, randomly and unexpectedly would not be considered defective since it's the riders obligation to keep his tires properly inflated.