Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Six Weekends........ Six Centuries (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/547040-six-weekends-six-centuries.html)

jppe 05-31-09 07:26 AM

Six Weekends........ Six Centuries

I just realized that after I complete the century I have planned next weekend I'll have done 6 centuries in a row. I'm including the one yesterday as a Century even though it was only 90 miles but it did have 8300 ft of climbing......author's priviledge! It felt like one for sure. It was a smaller group but wonderful weather, amazing views and well supported. A combination of some long climbs and long downhills.The downhills went much faster than the climbs**********??

The one next weekend is again in the Mountains of NC but only has 4000 ft of climbing so it is a very fast one. It's one of those centuries where I've managed to average 20+ mph and come in under 5 hours in the past. It's just a matter of riding wheels and staying with the lead group.

Of the 5 I've done so far:
Longest distance-115 miles
Longest time-7hr 14 mins
Most climbing-11,000 ft
Total Climbing-30,000+ ft
Bikes ridden-3 on the Prince and 2 on the 5900 (next week will be the Prince)

My personal record is 7 in a row, I think. Not sure I want to try and break that one........but who knows.

10 Wheels 05-31-09 07:34 AM

Go for ten.

Pat 05-31-09 07:43 AM

Congratulations. I figure that anything over 90 miles is a century on the proposition that for every 90 mile century I do, I end up doing a 110 mile century.

Red Rider 05-31-09 08:08 AM

You, sir, are an animal. Very impressive, and well-ridden.

Good luck with your speed next week. I'd love to do a sub-5 hr. century, tandem or otherwise.

How much are you riding in between these centuries?

jppe 05-31-09 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Red Rider (Post 9014100)
How much are you riding in between these centuries?

A typical week is a 30-40 miles ride on Tuesday and Thursday nights plus a 20-30 mile recovery ride the day after the century. Typically I'm 150-200 miles a week but the previous week was a 300 miler.

However this week we have our 2nd time Trial at the Speedway so I'll probably just do an easy 20 miler Tuesday night. I probably should have just done some interval work on shorter ride this weekend with the TT coming up this week but my overall focus is on the longer rides. We'll see how well the recovery goes this week.

George 05-31-09 11:19 AM

I thought I was doing something with my 600 miles this month, oh well.:o Way to go jppe:thumb:

NOS88 05-31-09 02:54 PM

Hope #6 is a sweet ride next weekend.

Hermes 05-31-09 06:17 PM

JPPE, that is great cycling. You certainly have mastered the 100 mile ride.:thumb:

cyclinfool 05-31-09 06:30 PM

jppe - have you ever thought of ultra-marathons? There is a club near me - they will do double centurys, 400 milers, etc. I wish I had the time to put in that many miles.

zonatandem 05-31-09 10:34 PM

Congrats . . . but 90 miles is not a century (unless you get a 10% senior discount).
Have done many back-2-back centuries; did a 3 day event with 100 miles on day 1 and day 2 and 125 miles on day 3 with a total of 22,000 feet of elevation gain . . . on our tandem. . . with 103 degrees temp at the finish .
My stoker did not volunteer to that one again!

JimF22003 06-01-09 04:54 AM

Cool! I would have made the same accomplishment except for my "Treated Like Crap on a Century Ride" experience a couple of weeks ago :)

tntyz 06-01-09 05:42 AM

A century six-pack! Way to go!

BikeWNC 06-01-09 08:40 AM

jppe, good to see you again at the ride Sat. I hope the course was good to you! It's a pretty area to ride though as you mentioned the river corridor can get crowded. I hope I can get back into the shape you're in though a young child and a busy wife can make that tough. There's no chance I'll keep with the front group at Fletcher. In fact, I plan to ride a more relaxed pace and try to just survive this one. :thumb: I need miles first, then I can worry about speed.

jppe 06-01-09 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 9019347)
jppe, good to see you again at the ride Sat. I hope the course was good to you! It's a pretty area to ride though as you mentioned the river corridor can get crowded. I hope I can get back into the shape you're in though a young child and a busy wife can make that tough. There's no chance I'll keep with the front group at Fletcher. In fact, I plan to ride a more relaxed pace and try to just survive this one. :thumb: I need miles first, then I can worry about speed.

The route was terrific-there were definitely some roads I never would have gone on if they had not been on the route so it was very nice to see some of the "wilderness" up that way. Scott was a rocket. He passed me going up Standing Indian and the last I saw him was going up 64. The ladies at the finish laughed at how long he hung around before anyone else came in. Four of us teamed up at the start of the busy stretch along Hwy 28 and motored along almost to the finish.

See you Sunday!

speedlever 06-01-09 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 9024371)
The route was terrific-there were definitely some roads I never would have gone on if they had not been on the route so it was very nice to see some of the "wilderness" up that way. Scott was a rocket. He passed me going up Standing Indian and the last I saw him was going up 64. The ladies at the finish laughed at how long he hung around before anyone else came in. Four of us teamed up at the start of the busy stretch along Hwy 28 and motored along almost to the finish.

See you Sunday!

Where was that? 3 Mountain Madness?

Booger1 06-02-09 03:22 PM

Wouldn't 6 "in a row" take less than a week?

cervelo-van 06-08-09 02:42 PM

Thats amazing! Inspiring to us new riders. So far I have done one 103K ride and one 203K ride in my first year riding. Since we are metric here in Canada, we don't really have centuries, so had to add 43K to my first "century"

Your times are great, especially given the elevations you mention. In my 203K my Garmin states "1,066 metres Elevation Gain" Thats 3,497 feet. My time was 7:51 ride time, 8:34 total time. How would you rate that?