Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Suspension and Fenders Mix?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to buy a Realm Province for my 14 y.o. daughter. Practical girl that she is, she wants fenders so she can ride in all weather. Will a front fender work with a suspension fork? It looks to me like it would, but the bike guy at Dick's Sporting Goods says it won't.

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin S.
Old 06-03-09, 11:39 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
I used this SKS front Fender on my Trek and then my KHS Full Sus this winter. And this SKS rear fender.
They worked great! Did a lot of ridin in the mud and wet, for rides well over 2 to 3 hrs; still got wet, but didn;t have that awful draining down into the butt area. If you don;t have fenders then your back and butt do that job. These worked well, long rides, no problemo.
Old 06-04-09, 04:00 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
MTB style fenders mount with an expanding plug up inside the steering tube at the base of the fork crown. This puts the fender above the uppermost position that the front tire can get to. Picture a dirt bike (motorcycle). Because they are so high, they provide less protection for your lower legs/feet. There is another sort of MTB fender called a barging board that mounts usually with ty wraps to the bottom of the down tube on the frame. This keeps the splash off your lower extremities. Take a look at a couple of the MTB sites on the internet like Price Point or Jensen USA to get an idea of what I mean.
Old 06-04-09, 08:10 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Maybe you should get her a bike without suspension.
Old 06-04-09, 08:13 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Maybe you should get her a bike without suspension.
Concur. If she rides mainly on the road, a suspension makes the bike heavier and less responsive on corners. I frequently use my old school no-suspension mountain bike for commuting and general transportation, tasks for which it is eminently well-suited.

Now I need to get a pair of mudguards for it ...
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-04-09, 02:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin S
I'm looking to buy a Realm Province for my 14 y.o. daughter. Practical girl that she is, she wants fenders so she can ride in all weather. Will a front fender work with a suspension fork? It looks to me like it would, but the bike guy at Dick's Sporting Goods says it won't.

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin S.
Depends on the amount of travel as to what is required. Most MTB's just use a Fender that fixes to the downtube- as in the pic of the Bianchi. Not very effective but does keep a certain amount away from the rider. BUT for the ultimate- the one as fitted to the Tandem works superbly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi.jpg (41.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg
south downs way 2004 008.jpg (66.0 KB, 16 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 06-04-09, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the ideas. We would prefer non-suspension, but our budget is about $200 and that leaves us firmly in the suspension bike market.
Even moderately priced road bikes and hybrids jump up in price to $350, $400 and more. Looking used would give us more options, but I have very limited knowledge for buying a used bike. I'm interested in recommendations.

Kevin S.
Old 06-04-09, 11:35 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin S
Thank you all for the ideas. We would prefer non-suspension, but our budget is about $200 and that leaves us firmly in the suspension bike market.
Even moderately priced road bikes and hybrids jump up in price to $350, $400 and more. Looking used would give us more options, but I have very limited knowledge for buying a used bike. I'm interested in recommendations.
Kevin S.
Kevin, if you want some recommendations, then it would be worthwhile to know a little about who the bike is for. Things like age (14- see that), size, riding experience, most likely type of riding to be done ...
We could recommend things we personally hold dear or we can be objective based on provided info and maybe come up with some good options which might fit the need.
$200 - you, of course have the safety gear already figured out, or would this also include having to buy stuff like a helmet, lights, lock, seat pac and emergency gear, etc? These are as important as the bike.
Budgets can always be met, but often the lower the budget the more extended the time needed to get some decent stuff which fits the bill.
If you have to make quick decisions on a very limited budget, then you'll likely have to make a lot of compromises. Some of which will require further funding soon enough down the road.
'Suspension' isn't a bad thing, and may actually provide some unexpected benefits. Getting a nice condition used bike for well under $200 is not that difficult. And since Craigslist is quite ubiquitous, it should be quite doable in your area as well.
Anyway, now that you've opened it up to more than just 'fenders', its up to you to define how useful we can be as opposed to how much bandwidth chatter we send out.
Old 06-05-09, 05:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclezen,
Thank you. Sometimes the problem is defining the problem too narrowly

I'll post a broader request later today -- no work access.

Kevin S.
Old 06-07-09, 12:55 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

YES! But you need to use a pretty rugged Blender...
Old 06-08-09, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Concur. If she rides mainly on the road, a suspension makes the bike heavier and less responsive on corners.
Agree with John - if the bike is to be used primarily on the roads, the suspension fork does no good, and some bad - so you don't want suspension. If the bike is to be used on trails, where the suspension will bring value, then you don't want fenders.

I see the question something like asking if you can mount a trailer hitch on a ferrari - the answer is that technically you probably could, but the question is wrong.
Old 06-11-09, 08:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48

YES! But you need to use a pretty rugged Blender...
Hmmm, an idea for "Will it blend?"
https://www.willitblend.com/

Kevin S.
Old 06-11-09, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sauerwald
Agree with John - if the bike is to be used primarily on the roads, the suspension fork does no good, and some bad - so you don't want suspension. If the bike is to be used on trails, where the suspension will bring value, then you don't want fenders.

I see the question something like asking if you can mount a trailer hitch on a ferrari - the answer is that technically you probably could, but the question is wrong.
We bought a bike w/o suspension. Older daughter works at a sporting goods store that has a family discount evening each year. That brought the price of a Diamondback Clarity within our reach. The birthday girl kicked in almost half the cost to get this particular bike. Won't be much for trails, but she *loves* it on the road -- and I'm going to have to get in better shape to stay ahead of her.

Thank you for the helpful comments.

Kevin S.