Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another "rode my age" post...and qualified for membership

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-22-09, 08:41 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

Well, I am officially 50 y.o. today, so I no longer have to lurk in this forum! I have enjoyed reading the stories of, and advice for, the more "experienced" riders for some time now. Perhaps I can contribute to the forum in some small way.

I had planned to ride 50 miles today, but my "training plan" has been off track for some time now (family obligations, bad weather, etc.) and I have not really built up my endurance, so I decided to shoot for 50 km instead, with the option of riding farther if it was in me. Though the spirit was willing, the legs weren't too enthusiastic. In addition, my water bottles were dry at that point. But I did make the 50 km.

Truth be told, I had greater aspirations than a mere 50 mile ride today: I was bold enough last winter to fantasize about a personal assault on Mt. Mitchell for my celebratory ride! I'll have to save Mitchell for next year (if not later, like age 55), with a goal of shedding at least 20 pounds beforehand (I weigh 195). The 50-miler will have to wait a couple more months while I work on the endurance issue. Maybe it will be a little cooler by then.

To make the day even better, my lovely bride bought me a new saddle (Specialized Alias, without gel), and I was in the LBS this afternoon getting it set up. It replaces a stock Bontrager (el cheapo) that came with the bike (Trek 1500). I won't have a chance to ride it until tomorrow. It definitely felt different than the stock saddle. Maybe I'll post a report.

Ride safe...

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 198? Mercian Olympic
Old 06-23-09, 11:19 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the group. You made a good start with your 50 miler. So what if you did not climb Mount Mitchell. You are obviously saving that one for later. I mean there is no use doing everything on the first day.
Old 06-24-09, 06:27 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Happy 50th and congratulations on the ride. Also glad to hear you'll no longer be just lurking. Give us that ride report on the Alias.
Old 06-24-09, 01:26 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Happy B-Day and congrats on the ride. Though I can't claim the level of knowledge/experience of many here, my training advice would be: Ride 20 milers lots of times and frequently.... they do not have to be gutbustingly fast or hard rides... just play with speed when you feel like it. Mix in longer 25-30ish milers when the spirit moves you and weather is good. The 50 miler will just come to you.

Assuming you are not a very short or small person, your weight doesn't seem like a horrible obstacle to me.
Old 06-24-09, 03:09 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!
Seems to me you could get your spousal unit to drive you to the top of Mt Mitchell and you could get your ride done mostly down hill - there are no rules on the birthday ride being a loop...
Old 06-24-09, 03:38 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. Keep posting.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 06-24-09, 06:41 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Welcome Horatio!! But Mitchell is not really all that bad-----unless you start from Spartanburg. I bet you'd enjoy the ride up from Marion-go for it!
Old 06-24-09, 06:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Happy BD! Care for some vitamin/mineral supplements?

Old 06-25-09, 06:21 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and encouragement. It's been about 5 years since I've done any consistent riding, so I'm taking it easy with the training this year (perhaps too easy!) Some rides will definitely have to wait, but I'm sure I'll be able to do the full 50 miles by summer's end, if not sooner. The weight issue is only a problem for climbing. I can't yet keep my heart rate below Zone 5 on the steeper hills where I ride, but I am getting a little faster on those hills.

jppe, didn't you post a report on this year's Assault? I'd love to ride the full Assault, but I hear it's tough to get into. Actually, I was planning to ride from Marion to the summit, then enjoy coasting back down. Cyclinfool's suggestion has merit, and I may try to talk my wife into a little weekend trip. We're planning our summer vacation near Boone this year, so I will get a chance to ride some real "hills."

The new saddle's inaugural ride was last night. What can I say - it feels like a platform! Not board-like, mind you, but a lot different than the stock Bontrager, on which I constantly slid forward. The LBS manager had set it fairly level, which was o.k., but I noticed a lot more weight on my hands and felt like I was creeping forward when going downhill. I changed the nose tilt about halfway through the ride to see if that would help. First it was too high - the sit bones and hands were more comfortable, but I could feel pressure on the perineum after riding about 10 minutes. So I lowered it again, but it was almost the same as where I began. So I tinkered with it a little when I got home, trying to split the difference, but by then I was tired and ready to cool off! I'll have to fiddle with it until I get it right (perhaps I need a micro adujstable seatpost!) but I think it's going to be a winner and well worth the investment. I can say one thing - the bike looks much faster now!

Stay tuned.... and

Ride safe...

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 198? Mercian Olympic
Old 06-25-09, 06:25 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

I know, I know... I promise to post a pic when I get it dialed in.

Ride safe...

Old 06-25-09, 07:24 PM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Welcome to the club, I have not ridden much in the last fewyear and decided that this year I was going to train and ride more, I even purchased and new bike. Well I have been training for months but without much result today the sun came out and after a 7 day rest I went for a ride. Man I finally felt the results, I was flying today, goes to show that us older guys/woman still have some fire in the tank. I do think it takes more training but where not dead yet, which is more than MJ can say.
Old 06-25-09, 10:31 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, I rode my metric age the other day (53K), and now I've ridden 35.6 mi. = 57.2926 km. Does that mean I'm now 57.3 years old?

Congrats, and don't beat yourself up about doing the metric. The SAE ride will come soon enough. We'll work on it at the same time.
I wonder if I can find a 53 mile stretch of downhill? (LOL)