Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mileage and Altitude so far in 2009

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-24-09, 09:48 PM
[email protected]
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

I made the mistake of looking at my ride spreadsheet this evening, should have gone for a ride instead.

No, really, I finished assembling and tuning a bike for my brother and cleaned and tuned my wife's bike . . . after dark I came in here to the computer and looked at my rides so far in 2009.

Jan. started slow: 613 miles, 18,233 feet of climbing, only one century

Feb. got a bit worse: 493 miles, 18,294 feet of climbing, one double century

Mar. improved: 707 miles, 37,357 feet of climbing, one century, one double century

April down again: 628 miles, climbing up though 44,216, two centuries no doubles

May was back up: 784 miles, 52,088 feet of climbing, two centuries and one double

June, so far: 585 miles, 36,495 feet of climbing, one century, one double century. There's another double (Grand Tour out of Malibu) this weekend, and that should be two doubles for June . . .

So, I haven't been very consistant from one month to the next, but overall making some progress!

Does anyone else keep these silly statistics, or is it just me?

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-24-09, 09:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Don't keep track of my mileage but my attitude is snobish as ever - maybe even a little more so.
Old 06-24-09, 10:05 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Does anyone else keep these silly statistics, or is it just me?
I track mileage & number of times I commute to work by bike.

My mileage YTD is 3,268. I have commuted to work 70 times so far this year.

Rick, the thing that is interesting to me about your mileage totals is that so many of your miles are in centuries and doubles - almost 40% of your miles are centuries. Looks to me like your training for riding centuries is riding centuries! That would kill me...
Old 06-24-09, 10:39 PM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
From my Garmin 705 with altimeter and Ascent software...2889 miles and 103,096 of climbing.
Old 06-24-09, 10:51 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I stopped resetting my odometer at the end of the year a couple of years ago and I only have computers on 2 of the 4 bikes I ride frequently. This is the third year running for which I have no idea how many miles I've ridden. I don't recall ever knowing a monthly mileage count. Judging by the pictures in my photo albums I've done a lot of really nice and fun rides.
Old 06-24-09, 11:39 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you kidding? I have a few graphs. No altitude, though. Don't have a Garmin.
1. Chart of miles per day/week/month/year, plus days at the gym and total hours of exercise per week.
2. Spread sheet with miles per day/week/month/year. Destination. avg speed, graph of average mileage per ride per month,.
3. Median ride for the year (50.12 at this time)
4. graph with miles per week for the year.
5. graph with miles per week for the year for last 7 years.
6. graph with miles per week -- different view.
7. graph with each ride's length - (20-24, 25-29, 30-39, etc)
8. graph with miles per day (mon, tues, wed, etc)
9. total miles for year so far (3545)
10. Annual miles since 2003

Now, before you all start tuning up and start throwing around words like "compulsive" and "weird", let me tell you it's mostly about the graphs. I love making graphs and watching them evolve over time. Second, graphs help with motivation. I seldom ride 49 miles, because 50 looks better on the graph. If I ride 175 miles this week, I will reach 5000 miles, etc.

So there.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 06-25-09, 03:14 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Well yeah I do but I do not have GPS so no altitude.
I keep day,time riding, ride miles, max speed, average speed, calories and overall total miles.
I keep them in an excel spreadsheet and total each month so I can see what I am doing each month.
I would really like to start seeing altitude though but buying a GPS just for that seems a bit too much maybe. Oh and I was thinking just last night about cadence as well, would like to maybe see that because it could help out I think in overall riding.
Old 06-25-09, 06:23 AM
Trsnrtr
(Tresenriter)

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5847 Post(s)
Since the area that I live in is table top flat for the most part, it would be ridiculous for me to track elevation. I do log miles and other pertinent data, though.

Then some damn fool invents the wheel
Old 06-25-09, 06:53 AM
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My computer keeps track of miles and I'll look at that now and then. Right now it reads 4,579 for the year to date. I keep a workout/training log that records each ride, it's purpose, conditions, how I felt, off the bike work (resistance training), and other notations regarding aches and pains etc... For me the most important data recorded is total hours of riding each week.
Old 06-25-09, 07:37 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Here's my ride log at BikeJournal.com.

As of last night, I had 2,077.91 miles and 90,427 feet of climbing to date in 2009. Clearly it's flat around here.

I've ridden less so far this year than others. The long, cold, wet, windy spring has made riding unpleasant. Yesterday was the first day in June where temperatures rose above 80F.

I was also off the bike entirely for a week after getting hit by that car. It was a few weeks before I was back in form after that. In fact, it wasn't until last week that I felt really back in shape.

I'm not a century rider. I can do them--and have done them--I just get bored after three or four hours and want to do something else, so I never really enjoy or even remember the latter half. That three or four hours is pretty consistent for me no matter what the activity. It's part of the reason I work part-time jobs.
Old 06-25-09, 07:37 AM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
Well yeah I do but I do not have GPS so no altitude.
I keep day,time riding, ride miles, max speed, average speed, calories and overall total miles.
I keep them in an excel spreadsheet and total each month so I can see what I am doing each month.
I would really like to start seeing altitude though but buying a GPS just for that seems a bit too much maybe. Oh and I was thinking just last night about cadence as well, would like to maybe see that because it could help out I think in overall riding.
I have the Garmin 705 and before that the Garmin Forerunner 305. The 705 has an altimeter and the Forerunner did not. The forerunner would overstate the climbing to the point that it was sometimes silly. The altimeter seems accurate and repeatable.

If you want cadence and elevation, you can get electronics that will give you that as well as speed and time. GPS mapping is interesting, fun and nice to have but IMHO, a cost that could be eliminated.

I got the 705 for the ANT + protocol feature so it would interface with wireless power meters featuring ANT+.
Old 06-25-09, 07:52 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
If you want cadence and elevation, you can get electronics that will give you that as well as speed and time. GPS mapping is interesting, fun and nice to have but IMHO, a cost that could be eliminated.
Agreed. Almost all of my riding is in familiar areas. When it isn't, maps are supplied. So I have no real need for GPS.

My cyclometer has a barometric altimeter, though. It tracks pretty close to a friend's Garmin. When it's off, it's generally due to weather changes during the ride. I just do the math between starting and ending altitude, subtract it from climbing and call it good.

Plenty of non-GPS cyclometers have altimeters. My Blackburn Neuro 6.0 also has heart-rate.
Old 06-25-09, 08:09 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
This post speaks to me.
I want to log my mileage, but it's hard.

I just got a "second bike" kit for my Sigma to install on my fixed gear bike. The heck with being pure. I really want to know how far I've gone. I tried carrying teh Garmin in my jersey pocket, but kept forgetting to turn it off. So I've logged some fixed gear miles, but not all.

I need to do a bunch of Math at the end of the month and figure my 6 month mileage.

I know I have 3613 "Garmin miles" on teh road bike, but I need to check the odometer on the bike (I sometimes don't take the Garmin) and then add in fixed gear and commuter bike miles.

I sometimes don't use the Garmin, and never do on the commuter bike. That's out
Speedo on the commuter
Old 06-25-09, 08:22 AM
Allegheny Jet 

Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
This post speaks to me.
I want to log my mileage, but it's hard.

I just got a "second bike" kit for my Sigma to install on my fixed gear bike. The heck with being pure. I really want to know how far I've gone. I tried carrying teh Garmin in my jersey pocket, but kept forgetting to turn it off. So I've logged some fixed gear miles, but not all.

I need to do a bunch of Math at the end of the month and figure my 6 month mileage.
I purchased extra wiring harness kits for my Astrale 8 computer. I just change the computer head to which ever bike I'm riding. I'm probably 95% effective in remembering to do so. I have a GPS but only use it on some specific rides where I want to put the data in a file on my laptop.
Old 06-25-09, 08:26 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
I purchased extra wiring harness kits for my Astrale 8 computer. I just change the computer head to which ever bike I'm riding. I'm probably 95% effective in remembering to do so. I have a GPS but only use it on some specific rides where I want to put the data in a file on my laptop.
I'm hoping the 2nd bike for the Sigma works as well for me as your Cateye does for you. In theory, the Sigma automatically keeps track of which bike it's on and records the mileages both separately and as a total.
Old 06-25-09, 09:02 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
I was keeping all the mileage and climbing information but have been lax-even had some pretty multi colored graphs. I think I average around 25,000 ft/month of climbing and 500+ miles/month.....14-16 english centuries/year, and 24 metric centuries/year.........plus 6 time trials and lots of pleasure rides-just for me! The most climbing I've done in a month is probably around 40,000 ft.
Old 06-25-09, 09:07 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Always love those Sun Belt cyclists that post those Jan, Feb. March miles to make us snow bound cyclist feel good.
Old 06-25-09, 09:22 AM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
My computer keeps track of miles and I'll look at that now and then. Right now it reads 4,579 for the year to date. I keep a workout/training log that records each ride, it's purpose, conditions, how I felt, off the bike work (resistance training), and other notations regarding aches and pains etc... For me the most important data recorded is total hours of riding each week.
I am with you on time measurement. My coach prescribes each day's workout and it is based on time and effort. I pick a route that I think will match the prescription.

Also, I ride a lot of trainer miles each week and I ride at the track. Tuesday morning, I worked out at the track for 3 hours for about 35 miles. However, the "money shots" were the 4X100 meter jumps, the 5X1 lap max speed 34 mph, 3X4 lap pursuits and 3X1 standing starts. The rest of the time was rolling around the track at 10 to 12 mph recovering for the next effort so the effective mileage was small. That evening, I went to the cycling gym and rode the trainer 4X10 minute intervals 125 -130 HR for about 17 trainer miles. So if you combine the two workouts, it is pretty balanced for high and low intensity although the high intensity work took a lot of time due the the rest required between each effort.

I have the Garmin rear cadence / speed sensor on the road, track and TT bikes. I swap the 705 to each one and even on the trainer, I get speed and miles.

However, overall mileage and climbing is a great way to get an overall impression of the type of riding others do.
Old 06-25-09, 09:40 AM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
Always love those Sun Belt cyclists that post those Jan, Feb. March miles to make us snow bound cyclist feel good.
Not exactly sun belt but here you go...

Date/Time: Distance / Climb
January '09: 539 / 30343
February '09: 468 / 11681 (We were skiing this month)
March '09: 625 / 13741
Old 06-25-09, 09:41 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

I did see a sight somewhere ( mapmyride maybe)where you can map out just a certain road and see the elevation, I guess you can do the whole ride as well. I need to start looking into that a lot more.
All this info is cool and all but in the end all I really want to do is ride my bike.
Old 06-25-09, 10:01 AM
Allegheny Jet 

Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I am with you on time measurement. My coach prescribes each day's workout and it is based on time and effort. I pick a route that I think will match the prescription.

Also, I ride a lot of trainer miles each week and I ride at the track. Tuesday morning, I worked out at the track for 3 hours for about 35 miles. However, the "money shots" were the 4X100 meter jumps, the 5X1 lap max speed 34 mph, 3X4 lap pursuits and 3X1 standing starts. The rest of the time was rolling around the track at 10 to 12 mph recovering for the next effort so the effective mileage was small. That evening, I went to the cycling gym and rode the trainer 4X10 minute intervals 125 -130 HR for about 17 trainer miles. So if you combine the two workouts, it is pretty balanced for high and low intensity although the high intensity work took a lot of time due the the rest required between each effort.

Our coaches must have atttended the same school of tourture. I had my choice of a 2.5 hr ride with 1.5 hrs of Z3 riding or racing in a 53 mile training race with instructions to be "semi-aggressive but not stupid" on Tuesday. Since I didn't want to suffer alone I chose to race. The race is on a flat, 6 turn, 2.1 mile mostly concrete road in an industrial park. My average speed at the end of the race was 26.3 this past week. Last night he had me do 8 x 1 mile intervals getting into Z5 by the last 1/4 mile. I took every bit of the 6 minute recovery return ride in my smallest gearing in order to get ready for the next assualt to my body. Those 8 miles were much harder on me than the long race the night before. Tonight's ride is 2.5 hours of moderate Z2 riding. I've invited some buddies to meet at a local cemetery to do our steady state "grave yard crit" ride for 1.5 hours. The tight, sweeping and 180 turns will help for this Sunday's race. I'll get the other hour of riding in by riding to and from the cemetery.
Old 06-25-09, 10:25 AM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

I keep track of the number of times I commute, because my employer has a convenient way to do that. Now do the math.

118 days riding * 36 miles/ride = 4,248 miles
118 days riding * 2,340 feel climbing/day = 276,120 feet climbing = 53.93 miles

No wonder I'm tired.
Old 06-25-09, 10:31 AM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Im with you retro/old snob/But my ride story today !my training of late is good considering the rain/cool here in Maine.I am now a widower careing for LINDA'S little dog who is lost without her and has been a sad trying time///Today I tried takeing the dog in my trailer /things went good till about three miles out the dog on the upgrade desides to jump out and without tying her in refuses to ride again so I leave the bike and trailer and walk her back to the woodpile[where the car is]; so long and short of the day six miles with bike and trailer [and dog] and 6 miles hikeing +dog I was more tired than 20 miles b---'- to the w--- hill gravel run/Kenneth
Old 06-25-09, 10:33 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
I got in plenty of Jan, Feb, Mar miles in "sunny" Seattle.

(It's much easier to ride in the rain than in the snow; I don't envy the "snow belt" riders)
Old 06-25-09, 11:40 AM
[email protected]
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Rick, the thing that is interesting to me about your mileage totals is that so many of your miles are in centuries and doubles - almost 40% of your miles are centuries. Looks to me like your training for riding centuries is riding centuries! That would kill me...
Hi BengeBoy,

We have kind of a running joke that "Centuries are good training rides for Double Centuries." So yes, you're correct!

Thanks for doing the math; I didn't realize my century miles were such a huge part of the total. I do keep track of time too, but I can't seem to get excel to add times correctly (since they're base 12, I guess). Not that I'm an expert at excel . . . (anyone know how to add times in excel)?

And no, it wouldn't kill you, it would make you stronger .

Rick / OCRR

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service