Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclist made my day.......

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-25-09, 09:04 AM
oilman_15106

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Near the end of my once a week bike commute to work I met a guy who was riding from Baltimore to his home in Portland, OR! Fully loaded touring rig. Camping. I was getting off the trail and he stopped me to get some local directions.

The guy said his work in Portland was thin and decided to visit relatives, take his bike and ride home. I did not ask but I guess he might qualify for the 50+ club.

Now why would this small meeting make my day? Earlier in the ride I was stopped by some fat South Fayette Twp. cop for riding my bike on the berm of US Rt. 50 out of Bridgeville, PA. It was might white of the cop to not give me a ticket while the traffic sped by us at 30 mph over the speed limit. I argued that bikes have the same rights as cars under PA code and his response was you are not riding on this road on my watch. There are signs that say motorized only, no pedestrians but every cyclist I ride with has used the road one time or another.

This route was not a choice as the only alternate is closed due to Gov. Taxdell replacing every bridge over every 2 foot wide unnamed tributary in the state. A response to the Minn. interstate bridge collapse.
Old 06-25-09, 03:21 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to get in touch with your local Council? and see what their view is.

We have stroppy cops over here that interperet rules in a weird way- but check out your rights before you upset him by complaing about him.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-09, 08:32 AM
Skipper

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
There are signs that say motorized only, no pedestrians....
So, what part of the signage do you not understand? Apparently, PA code allows for some road use restrictions. It seems to me that you and your friends need to get the signs changed (restrictions removed) before you rip on the cop too badly.
Old 06-28-09, 09:34 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
So, what part of the signage do you not understand? Apparently, PA code allows for some road use restrictions. It seems to me that you and your friends need to get the signs changed (restrictions removed) before you rip on the cop too badly.
+1
I must be missing something. I could understand complaining about the existence of the restriction but not the enforcement of it.
Old 06-28-09, 12:34 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+2. "Motorized only" means just that. Lack of enforcement is no excuse to break the law. Nor is the inconvenience caused by infrastructure repairs, even if you disagree with them.

Self-supported, fully loaded tourers are awesome, though. No matter how far they're going.
Old 06-28-09, 12:48 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my redneck of the woods we can't ride our bikes on the Interstate.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-28-09, 07:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
In my redneck of the woods we can't ride our bikes on the Interstate.
In California we can ride our bikes on the Interstate unless prohibited by a sign. Since we are never permitted to walk on the Interstate, California has two distinct types of signs at freeway onramps:

1) Pedestrians prohibited

2) Pedestrians, bicycles, and motor-driven cycles [scooters, not motorcycles w/ >12BHP] prohibited

If the state is temporarily obstructing your normal route for bridge work, demand a practical alternative.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-30-09, 09:02 AM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
I guess I need to defend my outrage better. I was riding on the OFFICAL PENDOT detour route due to the closed bridge and not riding on the road either. The berm is wide and has "drunk saver" rumble strips at a right angle to the roadway. A real pain to ride and not the road of choice.

The other thing that bothered me was that at 4:30 pm the average speed on that road is well above 70mph even though it is posted 55. I guess the local police think it is not dangerous to speed in a car/truck but quite a public safety issue to ride a bike on the berm. You know the police don't want the public to be late to catch the Gilligan's Island reruns.

I have contacted my PA state representative about the issue but they are quite busy in Harrisburg trying to figure out how to raise everyone's taxes with no budget for the year passed.
Old 06-30-09, 09:14 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know. It seems that life is too short to be outraged by this. I don't believe an official detour supersedes the prohibition of non-motorized vehicles. I believe, however, you did the correct thing contacting your legislator. I suspect if lots of other folks contact him or her as well, it will have more of an impact. It's sad, but I suspect most legislators or highway officials still don't give much thought to cyclists when looking at issues such as bridge repairs, detours, vehicle prohibitions, etc. Living in SE Pennsylvania, I am witness to bridge repairs that are creating detours that are putting family owned businesses at serious risk of closure. I feel for these folks.