Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Splayed flat feet and knee pain?? solutions??

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-25-09, 07:08 PM
maxbicyclemax
See the sea? CDC?

Bikes: Giant OCR sport 2008, Giant Trance1 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
Im unlucky enough to have really splayed flat feet, espesially the left foot. i have knee saver pedal extensions and in-shoe wedges in my left shoe.
My knee is good for ages then i start getting some pain and it just gets worse.
Means time off the bike which means i get miserable.
I believe its cruciate ligament tightness caused by the repetative motion and the strange angles of my feet and knees.
Any tips on how to get better quicker?
Any tips on how to prevent it or extend the duration of occurance?
max
Old 06-27-09, 03:10 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that If I ever do exercise with out having my feet toe-ed in- I get knee pain. Others have said they have to have feet toe-ed out. I even walk downstairs taking care to toe in with the feet.

I ride SPD's and as such always have my feet glued to the pedal in a position that suits the knees. Might seem drastic to buy SPD's just to see if it works for you- but a pair of platform pedals with Pins that will hold your shoes in place might help. You just have to make certain that you find the position that offers no pain and plant the feet firmly in that position before you ride.

This of course is subject to you having the saddle in the right position and the bike fits. Either of which- if wrong- can cause all sorts of body problems.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-09, 05:02 AM
alcanoe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure stepfam meant "glued" literally. Knee issues were far more numerous before clipless as the the old system had no float. I think I saw that first hand when I recently bought some jogging shoes.

About 6 months ago I developed a problem on my right knee. I managed to recover about 80% over the ensuing months by raising the seat 1/4" and spinning a littler higher: I work better at a lower cadence. I could not completely solve the knee problem.

I chose the particular shoe store because they video taped you from behind running on a treadmill. Watching the slow-motion playback, I discovered I ran with my toes pointing way out and that my right foot wobbled left-right several times while in the air. My left foot did not wobble.

When I got home I set my SPD cleats to just allow my heels to brush the chain stay at the innermost portion of the float range. I was ready to buy the pedal extenders if I had too, but wanted to avoid it as they'd have to be drilled bored out to allow using my XTR pedals.

It's cured the problem and I'm back to my normal cadence. On steep/hard climbs I concously move my heels in untill they just barely brush the chain stay.

You do need float and for me especially for the right foot. Possibly experimenting with different cleat angles or pedals with more float might be worth trying. I suspect that the bare caged pedals (no cleats) hinder float more than cleats when there's pressure on the pedal.

The strange thing is, I never walked/ran with my toes out before. My knees have done fine with the more fore-aft alignment of the cleats for about 8 years: since I started riding with them.

Al
Old 06-28-09, 05:36 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which side of the left shoe are the wedges - inner or outer? And, why are they there; that is, how did you come to the point where you or someone else determined this was a good things?