Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Did you ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/555896-did-you-ride-today.html)

qcpmsame 01-06-16 08:10 PM

Another 26.5 miles this afternoon, another beautiful day of great weather, but that forecast is supposed to be ending tomorrow as rain is headed through. You guys on the West Coast are in for another storm line up, heads up.

Bill

John_V 01-07-16 02:15 PM

33 solo miles and 10 miles, on my last lap, with my buddy Frank D. Winds weren't as bad as yesterday but still enough to slow you down at times. Overcast and chilly until I was about 5 miles from being finished. Then the sun came out and it warmed up quite quickly.

canklecat 01-08-16 12:55 AM

Beautiful sunny afternoon in the 60s here in Texas, but an unusually difficult 12 miles. Between the headwinds the first half of the ride and sudden allergy and asthma attack it was a grind. But the ride back was better. Might even try again a little farther tomorrow.

Greybeard712 01-08-16 03:22 PM

Snowed Thursday but it was above freezing and wet so it cleared a lot of the leftover frozen snow from the previous two day's snow storms. Took the Roubiax out for 10.2 miles. The River bike path had multiple long patches of ice and frozen snow that required dismounting and walking. After six of those (same six on the return) I gave up and returned home. RA flared up, left hand painfully swollen, but I won't stop riding until they pry my bicycle out of my cold, dead hands.

2016: 21 Miles 2013-16: 9549 Miles
Allez 6.0/2434.8 · Roubaix 10.2/2542.6 · Sirrus 0.0/1965.0 · Trike 5.2/1588.3

John_V 01-08-16 03:25 PM

Rained until close to 10:00 AM this morning then it stopped and the sun came out, temps went back to short sleeve weather and I went riding. Got in a quick paced, 50 mile ride this morning with buddies Frank C and Steve.

OldsCOOL 01-08-16 03:33 PM

Hill repeats. Sure am glad my wife has an inhaler. Eeehaw. Nice and warm, a balmy 43deg, perfect for huffin and puffin. Pert near warm enough to have torn it up with the Cannondale Criterium bike.

jimmuller 01-08-16 05:42 PM

Yes, finally. First commute since the snow/ice storm a week ago. It was good to be back on the bike.

qcpmsame 01-08-16 08:50 PM

Got in 20+ miles this afternoon, cut it short when I encountered some rain. It was gray and chilly out, and I just didn't feel up to getting soaked. If I had worn a rain jacket, and my shoe covers I might have gotten the other 5-7 miles. No use crying over spilt milk, as that pithy saying goes.

Thursday was a scheduled rest day, and it rained most of the afternoon, too. Next week is supposed to bring the coldest temps we have had this winter, test time for the winter kit.

Bill

h2oxtc 01-09-16 12:28 AM

Okay, so I didn't ride here today ... but in my mind I was there. I could feel the heat, and I remember the feeling of "when will this climb end". I also remember the pulled pork Subway sandwich about 20 miles after this photo, yummm, and 30 more hilly miles to go. It was a great day!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5746/...dd2afb22_b.jpg

John_V 01-09-16 01:26 PM

Nice and slow, 30 mile recovery ride this morning with my buddy Frank D. Park was too crowded to go any faster than what we did, anyway.

jppe 01-09-16 02:32 PM

90+ miles in cool misty weather. I rode the equivalent of 50 miles out of the way just to go to the start of an organized ride to pick up my new water bottle from the event! We do some crazy stuff sometimes!

Oh, my new shoe covers seemed to do a good job of keeping my feet dry on the wet roads.

miya310 01-09-16 02:53 PM

41 miles on the Suncoast trail north of Tampa. Still riding in wind but a little less today. Was trying out new saddle, a little sore the last 1/2 hr or so.

TCR Rider 01-09-16 09:09 PM

50.7 miles with 1585 feet. Mild for this time of year, 46 deg, but raw with just a touch of cold January rain to make it interesting. Wind kept changing directions like it was messing with me.http://forums.bicycling.com/static/i.../icon_razz.gif Still I got to ride so it was a good day.http://forums.bicycling.com/static/i.../icon_wink.gif.

qcpmsame 01-10-16 11:35 AM

Saturday was a 27.2 mile ride, got caught in a passing shower. Strangely, the radar was showing that the front had passed on through, and the sun had peeked out a few times, but this little cluster was looking for a rider to soak, and it found me waiting to be rained on. Still, it was nice to get in a ride on a day that was forecast to be a rain out.

Bill

intransit1217 01-10-16 11:40 AM

I hate this thread. Just seeing the title fills me with angst even while knowing I'm probably on a recovery day so I don't over ride or over train. Damn you bf with your guilt !:lol:

John_V 01-10-16 12:58 PM

My friend Frank C turned 62 on Jan 3rd, but we haven't had the chance to do a birthday ride for him because of the weather. However, this morning, my friend Steve, Frank C, Frank Jr., Frank's daughter and my buddy Lou treated Frank to a birthday ride in his honor. It was really a great day for a ride with nice weather and an overcast sky that kept the sun from heating things up.

TCR Rider 01-10-16 06:00 PM

Caught a break today. Forecast was for heavy windswept rain all day. As I was setting up my trainer bike I looked out the window and lo and behold the sun was coming out so out I went. 35.25 miles with 1220 feet. Still windy but really mild at 55 deg.

canklecat 01-10-16 09:05 PM

Did 8 miles between errands on my first sub 40F day since resuming cycling a few months ago. I was overdressed. Might leave the leather motorcycle jacket home next time. Brown doesn't really go with the red bike anyway.

james_v 01-10-16 10:15 PM

Decided to try some local single track trials that are nearby the house. Did about 10 miles on them and if I do them again (instead of road riding) on the hybrid I will have to lower the psi in the tires. Actually was kind of fun and for the first time actually had to use the inner ring to climb some of the steeper sections.

qcpmsame 01-11-16 07:52 AM

Sunday afternoon's ride was a short one, only 16+ miles, the winds were strong, out of the NW. The cold front made it completely through and temps are dropping. Had enough warm kit to comfortably ride, it was 48ºF while riding, not sure about the WCF, at the time I was out riding winds were 13-15, with gusts to 18. I just wanted an easy ride to cap off the week.

Bill

Outnumbered 01-11-16 09:25 AM

Standard cold, windy 12 mile early morning commute for this time of year. This afternoon it looks like another windy, 30kt headwind type of windy, ride home. The only good thing about it is the two guys 20 years younger than me didn't because of the headwinds.

az_cyclist 01-11-16 12:01 PM

126.4 miles on Saturday @ 16.0 rolling ave, the Saguaro Lake 200K Brevet
29 miles Sunday @ 15.8 rolling ave, a nice flat recovery ride.

qcpmsame 01-11-16 06:38 PM

A nice sunny, but cold, afternoon ride, 25.21 miles, next to no wind for a change. The first sunny/low wind speed, day in a while. A pretty good day's riding.

Bill

OldsCOOL 01-11-16 07:18 PM

Took a 1/2hr ride around town. It was a chilly but peaceful ride in the fresh-fallen 8" of snow. Streets and sidewalks were snowy but clear. The last hill was a good workout but didnt dare ride my hill repeat course because it was too steep to be safe coming down. Hey, my coldest ride yet at 14F.

TCR Rider 01-11-16 07:57 PM

Most difficult ride of the season to date. 24.3 miles with 961 feet. Weather was the issue, particularly the wind. 32 deg with a steady 20 mph wind with gusts. Temp was not the problem but that wind. I felt like I was playing a contact sport.:eek: