Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Did you ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/555896-did-you-ride-today.html)

sevenmag 06-07-16 10:34 AM

Yet another day with no riding. Had some lightning damage to some irrigation equipment at work so I get to play the waiting game on the electricians and well repair guys.

Fldaves 06-07-16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 18826446)
It would be nice to meet up and do some rides together. It's always nice riding with different people. Are the Wednesday night rides you do at Flatwoods with Rob and Denise from Kona SBR? I know they have a weekly ride but can't remember if it's on a Tuesday or Wednesday night. Suncoast is quite a drive for me, since I live on the other side of Temple Terrace but I do go there for special rides and, once in a while, to do the hilly part from Anderson Snow to US 98. That's about a 40 minute drive for me to go to Anderson Snow. To get to the SR 54 trail head isn't that long of a drive.

No ride again today, thanks to Tropical Storm Colin. We've had heavy rains here since Sunday evening and today looks like a repeat of yesterday. Hoping this thing blows over so I can get a ride in tomorrow.

Rob and Denise were there the few times I've done that ride. The Flatwoods Wed ride usually gets a good turn out with other club's members joining as well, with up to 30 riders avg 20 mph+ for 4 laps+/- with sprints at the end. Since that's far away for me I end up doing the Wed night ride(6pm) at SR54. That ride splits into 2 groups - very fast (23+) doing 26 miles or 20mph avg group doing 20 miles. The group/club name is Grupetto and offers different rides from Brooksville to Sarasota every week. BTW- the weather is breaking now so I'm hoping to get in 20 tonight!

Greybeard712 06-07-16 01:58 PM

22.5 miles on the Allez. There's a bike path section (separate from Sparks Blvd.) where City Parks & Rec tore out all the weeds and sticker bushes at the end of last season. Nice try, but they're back. Half the goathead sticker bushes in Nevada are in that section. I'll have to change my route. Another flat (front) today. Fortunately I found a small grassy knoll with a shade tree to flip the bike over. Thank goodness for CO2 bottles.

Unfortunately that section of bike path is the only way to go north for 2 miles since there is no bike lane on very busy Sparks Blvd.

2016: 1,912 Miles Total Miles: 11,511
Allez 774/3206 · Roubaix 835/3367 · Sirrus 170/2205 · Trike 134/1717

Boanthropy is a psychological disorder where people think they're cows. I've seen a few women like that.

OldTryGuy 06-07-16 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fldaves (Post 18824252)
Had to hit my community's fitness room this am as tropical storm Colin's rain bands are getting progressively worse - wind gusting to 53 MPH!

Originally Posted by wished (Post 18824700)
.........Tropical Storm Colin has dumped 6-8" of rain so far today, bleh! Not much wind on the west side of the storm but this rain is getting old. There is always tomorrow I guess . . .

Originally Posted by sevenmag (Post 18825850)
No riding today. TS Colin put a damper on any thoughts I might have had about getting on the road today or tomorrow.

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 18826446)
..........No ride again today, thanks to Tropical Storm Colin. We've had heavy rains here since Sunday evening and today looks like a repeat of yesterday. Hoping this thing blows over so I can get a ride in tomorrow.

Sad reading that you-all couldn't get out due to weather. We had RAIN yesterday and today's WINDS and HUMIDITY with clouds not helping too much in keeping the temperature down. Always good to get on the bike but the Mo-Jo just wasn't there today. Did the 53/12 standing into the wind for miles, at times only 12mph, and that really works the core. Never too early for getting in the prep miles for Six Gap, Horrible Hundred, 12/24 Sebring and Cross Florida. Staying on top of things now will make things much easier when it's time to be punished.

Fldaves 06-07-16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 18827950)
Sad reading that you-all couldn't get out due to weather. We had RAIN yesterday and today's WINDS and HUMIDITY with clouds not helping too much in keeping the temperature down. Always good to get on the bike but the Mo-Jo just wasn't there today. Did the 53/12 standing into the wind for miles, at times only 12mph, and that really works the core. Never too early for getting in the prep miles for Six Gap, Horrible Hundred, 12/24 Sebring and Cross Florida. Staying on top of things now will make things much easier when it's time to be punished.

Was able to sneak in a 20 miler tonight. The trailhead parking lot at SR 54 and trail were mostly empty but the trail was fine and actually quite dry!!!

OldTryGuy 06-07-16 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fldaves (Post 18828145)
Was able to sneak in a 20 miler tonight. The trailhead parking lot at SR 54 and trail were mostly empty but the trail was fine and actually quite dry!!!

GREAT!!!! I got out also, only it was in my van with grandson from Texas in the driver's seat getting some drive time on his permit.

canklecat 06-08-16 12:52 AM

About 30 miles Tuesday night, about half of that riding, half loafing and stopping for beer and chattering. Great evening for it.

John_V 06-08-16 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Fldaves (Post 18827465)
Rob and Denise were there the few times I've done that ride. The Flatwoods Wed ride usually gets a good turn out with other club's members joining as well, with up to 30 riders avg 20 mph+ for 4 laps+/- with sprints at the end. Since that's far away for me I end up doing the Wed night ride(6pm) at SR54. That ride splits into 2 groups - very fast (23+) doing 26 miles or 20mph avg group doing 20 miles. The group/club name is Grupetto and offers different rides from Brooksville to Sarasota every week. BTW- the weather is breaking now so I'm hoping to get in 20 tonight!

I've ridden with Grupeto several times in the past, but not with their A group. I don't have a problem with going that fast on a group ride but I just don't get anything out of doing them very often. I would much rather do an 18-20 mph, 50 or 60 mile ride instead. I've also tagged on to their group several times, over the years, in the MS-150. I don't know what happened to them this year as their group left in a wave of riders before us. One of my teammates and I beat them to the hotel on day one. That usually doesn't happen. Have you ridden with Lou Romano (Luigi as he is sometimes called. He rides a Masi)? He often does the Wednesday night rides with Grupeto. He and I have been riding together for a couple of years now and have done two cross Florida rides together.

Now that TS Colin has gone, I was able to get in a nice 45 mile ride with the gang this morning, before it started to rain. It's officially our hurricane season so the early afternoon thunderstorms are going to be a pretty regular thing for a while. Colin left us with very high dew points, so the humidity today is just unreal. I didn't think my buddy Steve was going to finish the ride because of it. On the other hand, if any of you are following Amanda Coker's quest to break the women's world record for number of miles ridden in a single calendar year, she rode Monday until they closed the park due to the weather. She also rode yesterday in some pretty nasty weather. She's in day 24 of her attempt and has 5,300+ official miles under her belt.

Fldaves 06-08-16 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 18829717)
I've ridden with Grupeto several times in the past, but not with their A group. I don't have a problem with going that fast on a group ride but I just don't get anything out of doing them very often. I would much rather do an 18-20 mph, 50 or 60 mile ride instead. I've also tagged on to their group several times, over the years, in the MS-150. I don't know what happened to them this year as their group left in a wave of riders before us. One of my teammates and I beat them to the hotel on day one. That usually doesn't happen. Have you ridden with Lou Romano (Luigi as he is sometimes called. He rides a Masi)? He often does the Wednesday night rides with Grupeto. He and I have been riding together for a couple of years now and have done two cross Florida rides together.

Now that TS Colin has gone, I was able to get in a nice 45 mile ride with the gang this morning, before it started to rain. It's officially our hurricane season so the early afternoon thunderstorms are going to be a pretty regular thing for a while. Colin left us with very high dew points, so the humidity today is just unreal. I didn't think my buddy Steve was going to finish the ride because of it. On the other hand, if any of you are following Amanda Coker's quest to break the women's world record for number of miles ridden in a single calendar year, she rode Monday until they closed the park due to the weather. She also rode yesterday in some pretty nasty weather. She's in day 24 of her attempt and has 5,300+ official miles under her belt.

That's great that you got in a good ride this AM! Sounds like we ride very similar as far as speed/distance. On the first day of the MS ride one of Grupettos riders was hit from behind when he was stopped at rest station.The girl that hit him was on her bike and wasn't paying attention. Really messed up his carbon bike very badly so the entire group hung with him until he could hitch a ride back to the hotel. Unfortunately he had to pull out as he couldn't use that bike. We have Amanda's mileage log journal posted on the groups Facebook page and several members have ridden with her out in Flatwoods.https://www.facebook.com/groups/59626649584/

Greybeard712 06-08-16 02:06 PM

I found an alternate route around the sticker-filled section of bike path. It adds a little over a mile and it's in traffic (very narrow bike lane) but better than having a guaranteed flat. 23.3 sunny and warm miles on the Roubaix. Ma (Nature) has been cooperative lately with the winds coming in the afternoon after the ride.

2016: 1,936 Miles Total Miles: 11,534
Allez 774/3206 · Roubaix 858/3390 · Sirrus 170/2205 · Trike 134/1717

The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

02Giant 06-08-16 05:06 PM

22 mi. after work today 1:09:08 19.1 mph avg.

JanMM 06-08-16 08:22 PM

22 miles today as a Bike Commuter. Again ideal weather. supposed to be hot this weekend.

John_V 06-09-16 05:54 AM

Weather Channel app showing 0% chances of rain for this morning. I got ready for my daily ride so I could get done before the afternoon thunderstorms show up, open the door to leave - it's raining. :mad: Waiting to see if the rain stops so I can at least get in some riding this morning.

Edit: Not long after posting this, the sun came out and the skies were turning blue. Changed into my riding clothes and went to the park for a very hot and steamy 36 mile ride. Could have used some scuba gear to breathe with because my gills weren't working. :)

I just returned from the subdivision portion of my route and was in the west parking lot talking to Amanda's parents when she pulled in. She was riding solo, I guess because of the earlier rain, so I asked if I could tag along to the east parking lot, about 8 miles away. She said, "Hop on", so I rode the 8 miles with her at a nice 20-21 mph pace. It was the first time we happened to be in the same place and going in the same direction since she started her attempt at the world record.

Fldaves 06-09-16 11:02 AM

Did a 36 mile 'fl hill ride' on the Suncoast trail from Anderson Snow park to SR98 and back this morning. Weather up there was really nice but it did sprinkle around SR 54 on the way up.

John_V 06-09-16 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fldaves (Post 18832510)
Did a 36 mile 'fl hill ride' on the Suncoast trail from Anderson Snow park to SR98 and back this morning. Weather up there was really nice but it did sprinkle around SR 54 on the way up.

That's my favorite section of the Suncoast Trail. I would love to ride it more often but it's a 40-45 minute drive from my house. Last time I rode that section was last month.

Fldaves 06-09-16 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 18832542)
That's my favorite section of the Suncoast Trail. I would love to ride it more often but it's a 40-45 minute drive from my house. Last time I rode that section was last month.

John, I'm hosting the same ride next Tuesday at 7am if you want to join us.

Greybeard712 06-09-16 01:33 PM

20.5 miles on the Allez before the winds picked up. Gusty thru the weekend. Now I've developed the same metallic sounding "tick" on the right foot downstroke that I have on the Roubaix. Can't trace it on either bike.

2016: 1,956 Miles Total Miles: 11,554
Allez 795/3227 · Roubaix 858/3390 · Sirrus 170/2205 · Trike 134/1717

Barbie's full name (the Mattel Barbie doll) is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

canklecat 06-09-16 10:56 PM

Rode around 16-20 miles Thursday evening while exploring a new-to-me route. Accidentally paused Cyclemeter at some point, so I'm not sure. Pleasant ride, and a bonus snack of gnats and fireflies to fortify me for the return trip.

02Giant 06-10-16 06:16 AM

Pre-work ride this morning 25.1 mi. 1:18:30 19.2 avg.

eatontkd 06-10-16 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=526645
Beautiful here in central PA this morn! Fastest time yet, personal best kinda day!!

John_V 06-10-16 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fldaves (Post 18832618)
John, I'm hosting the same ride next Tuesday at 7am if you want to join us.

I'll have to see if the wife is riding on Tuesday. She doesn't like the Suncoast in the summer because there is no shade and she rides solo and slow. It does sound like it would be a good ride.

Somewhat foggy this morning but turned out to be a beautiful morning after the sun came out. Still very muggy, but nothing like yesterday morning. No buddies to ride with today so I did a 47 mile solo ride. Too many riders with Amanda this morning so I opted not to jump in the line.

Greybeard712 06-10-16 01:50 PM

Rode the :recum: trike today. Took a beginner friend out on his modified Klein MTB. He was exhausted after 6 miles. I did a total of 21.9 and was ready for a few more except for the high winds. A good day.

2016: 1,978 Miles Total Miles: 11,576
Allez 795/3227 · Roubaix 858/3390 · Sirrus 170/2205 · Trike 156/1737

Napoleon's penis was sold to an American Urologist for $40,000.

JanMM 06-10-16 07:48 PM

Thursday - rode to work again. 20 miles.
Today - Drove to work and got out for a nice 16 mile ride in the country - and suburbs, too - on the ti 'bent after work. Averaged 16+mph, which is speedy by my standards.

stardognine 06-11-16 05:53 AM

For yesterday, Friday, right around 25 miles, including the 10 miles round trip to Presque Isle, the 13.5 mile circuit through the park (first time this year), and a sidetrip to the Westlake bakery. :D They make the best ham & cheese sammiches ever, plus peanut butter cookies. :)

GlennR 06-11-16 08:14 AM

28.3 miles @ 17.5mph. Fastest 40k.