Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 07-24-17, 06:08 PM
  #21001  
Senior Member
 
wthensler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gatorland and BlueRidge heaven
Posts: 774

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Hot and breezy start at 5:30 PM for a short 33 mile ride to Raleigh and back. US 41 is flat and smooth, with a wide bike lane...a good road to maintain a decent head of steam. Followed up with a nice swim, and a small dinner.

If I can keep up this pace, I could go over 6k for the year (we'll see). And I still have the 2018 Roubaix Pro to look forward to in December! But I don't think I'll part with the Domane.
__________________
Ride hard and ride on......
wthensler is offline  
Old 07-24-17, 07:13 PM
  #21002  
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,215

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 223 Posts
Sunday - 6 tandem miles including a couple of local short hills just before a storm blew through. Last half mile was in the rain but lighting waited until after we were in the garage.
Today - biked to work and back. 21 miles. Very very pleasant weather.
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 07-24-17, 10:32 PM
  #21003  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bend Or.
Posts: 573

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
56 miles, was supposed to be very hot, but didn't get over the high 80s.
There was a bike race yesterday on the same road I rode today, this was fromthe feed zone.

John00 is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:22 PM
  #21004  
Author Guy
 
Greybeard712's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 1,015

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix Pro, 2011 Roubaix Expert, 2006 Tarmac S-Works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28.1 miles (45.2k), nice n' fast solo ride. The cool air felt good this morning.

2017: 3,375m (5,431k) ♂ Total: 18,363m (29,553k)
Greybeard712 is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 02:22 PM
  #21005  
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,585

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
25 miles with my riding buddy and 15 solo miles for the day. Weather was hot and humid but at least it didn't rain.
John_V is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 02:40 PM
  #21006  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 56

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 02, 1980 Raleigh Corsa 1996 Cannondale M400 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Got 21 miles in this morning as the sun came up. Felt good, tried to keep a high cadence.
wait4me is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 06:46 PM
  #21007  
Senior Member
 
wthensler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gatorland and BlueRidge heaven
Posts: 774

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
40 strong solo miles in hot and breezy conditions.
__________________
Ride hard and ride on......

Last edited by wthensler; 07-25-17 at 06:53 PM.
wthensler is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 08:33 PM
  #21008  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 2,328

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 369 Posts
74.06 KM - age +1.06 (goal was 74 km, turned 73 on Sunday). 23 miles mainly NW, 23 miles back, with a 12 mph SE wind. A friend had his b'day party at noon on Sunday, so I couldn't ride that far then. Yesterday, the wind was in the right direction, which means it would have blown against me on the way out instead of the way back, but it was too cold, and the sky was cloudy. I haven't really enjoyed any cloudy day rides this year. Today was sunny, so today was the day.
philbob57 is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 08:46 AM
  #21009  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,595

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 495 Posts
112 miles yesterday in 2 segments. First segment started at 2:43AM and was 63 miles making all right turns except for 1 screw-up. Second segment was meeting up with the Tuesday 8:30AM group but only 1 rider showed and he called it quits after 4 miles. Pretty much 49 additional miles by myself.

Today I was out by 12:25AM for my Memorial 100 Mile Ride for Pete who died 5 years ago today after being hit by a semi. He and 2 cycling buddies had a bit over 700 miles left to complete their Prudhoe Bay to Key West ride when they were hit.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 09:47 AM
  #21010  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,594

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,904 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
112 miles yesterday in 2 segments. First segment started at 2:43AM and was 63 miles making all right turns except for 1 screw-up. Second segment was meeting up with the Tuesday 8:30AM group but only 1 rider showed and he called it quits after 4 miles. Pretty much 49 additional miles by myself.

Today I was out by 12:25AM for my Memorial 100 Mile Ride for Pete who died 5 years ago today after being hit by a semi. He and 2 cycling buddies had a bit over 700 miles left to complete their Prudhoe Bay to Key West ride when they were hit.
Whoa.

Hereabouts, starting rides in the wee hours of the morning has come to be known as leaving "Dad early."

Anyone crazy enough to do that is OK in my book. If you ever make it out to SoCal, give us a shout.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 11:49 AM
  #21011  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,595

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
........... If you ever make it out to SoCal, give us a shout.
12:25AM today had temperature 83F and 78% humidity
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 01:04 PM
  #21012  
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,585

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Good 40 mile ride this morning before taking the wife's bike back to the shop to get her brakes done. I tried doing them on Monday, but got frustrated trying to get the pads out of the Avid BB5 disk brakes. They're no where's as easy as BB7's,
John_V is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 01:13 PM
  #21013  
Author Guy
 
Greybeard712's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 1,015

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix Pro, 2011 Roubaix Expert, 2006 Tarmac S-Works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27.8 miles (44.7k). A bit cloudy yesterday, sunny today but mid 60s to start. Felt good. My ride ends weekly at the Senior Center (Sparks) for a free lunch and they're always good. Since I don't cook it's the only balanced meal I get

2017: 3,403m (5,476k) ♂ Total: 18,391m (29,597k)
Greybeard712 is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 06:47 PM
  #21014  
Senior Member
 
wthensler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gatorland and BlueRidge heaven
Posts: 774

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
A good 40 mile ride to end the week early, as I'm heading north to take care of my parents tomorrow. Rode pretty much every day since last Monday, and got in some good solid efforts. I'll be back in town Sunday, so back at it when I return.
__________________
Ride hard and ride on......
wthensler is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 10:13 PM
  #21015  
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,500

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4549 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 1,788 Posts
24 miles Wednesday night. Even after dark the temp was in the 90s, but tolerable without the sun, and the humidity was low. I keep shooting for a 16 mph average on this particular rural route and it continues to elude me -- I hit 15.8 mph per Cyclemeter, 15.6 mph per Strava. On the plus side, I finally managed to hold or exceed 200 watts on some hill climbs, another elusive goal -- I am very definitely not a strong climber and never have been, even when I was younger. So, a little progress.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-27-17, 08:45 AM
  #21016  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston-ish
Posts: 225

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
First 'group' ride

25 miles, in 3 segments, 7.5 x 2 (commute), and then 10 miles on my first 'group' ride.

As only one other person wanted to ride the short ride, and that other person had never ridden this particular route, I came to learn how to ride with a group, and ended up leading one!
NewATBikeComute is offline  
Old 07-27-17, 09:51 AM
  #21017  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,594

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,904 Times in 546 Posts
Just the usual commute this morning ... 17 flat miles. But the beach was sooo beautiful. Felt like taking the day off and getting in touch with my aquatic side.

__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 07-27-17, 03:07 PM
  #21018  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 11,700

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8570 Post(s)
Liked 2,753 Times in 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
24 miles Wednesday night. Even after dark the temp was in the 90s, but tolerable without the sun, and the humidity was low. I keep shooting for a 16 mph average on this particular rural route and it continues to elude me -- I hit 15.8 mph per Cyclemeter, 15.6 mph per Strava. On the plus side, I finally managed to hold or exceed 200 watts on some hill climbs, another elusive goal -- I am very definitely not a strong climber and never have been, even when I was younger. So, a little progress.




I have been lurking here for about a year and last year I seem to remember you were doing like 13-14 mph average. it seems like you have ramped it up. I know you have some physical issues as well as being close to 60 (I believe). Congrats on that effort paying off.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 07-27-17, 04:22 PM
  #21019  
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,500

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4549 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 1,788 Posts
Thanks, @DougRNS! August 2015 was my first time back in the saddle after 30+ years away, and consequent injuries from a car wreck followed by the usual gettin' old stuff. It was a long, gradual grind getting back into shape.

I didn't begin using cycling apps until late 2015 and my average speed was 9 mph, including through early 2016 on a heavy comfort hybrid. Statistically, I was a typical Copenhagen cyclist.

Recently I reviewed all my cycling data and wasn't too surprised to discover the effects of selective memory. I remembered averaging 12-13 mph in 2016. Actually, that was late 2016 after I got a lighter, faster hybrid bike and really began cranking down on the workouts after a year of easing into things. My real overall average for 2016 was just over 10 mph. My solo rides averaged a little faster, but I also participated in a lot of casual group rides at closer to a 8-10 mph pace.

I still didn't really have any methodical workout plan. I was just riding when I felt like it, as fast or slow as I felt comfortable with, and rode as little or as long as I wanted. But by the spring of 2017 I felt like I'd plateaued in conditioning. The same modest hills were still just as challenging. We have few continuous long hills, mostly lots of roller coaster 3%-5% grades of 0.3-0.5 miles long, with a 100-400 yard downhill slope, then another climb, and so on. And those are mostly outside of town. It's a long, gradual downhill grade to the downtown area where most casual group rides congregate, so I wasn't really getting much of a workout although the social aspect was fun.

So in early June this year I got a somewhat lighter older road bike, a 23 lb Centurion Ironman from 1989, and began interval training, lots of 10-20 mile hard rides, mostly within a few minutes of home. Those nearby roller coaster hills are ideal for that. Took a few weeks to begin to see any progress but it's coming along. And the longer casual rides on the hybrid feel like a vacation now.

I'm setting reasonable goals:
  • Breaking 16 mph on a rural route that I've ridden dozens of times. Getting closer, just under 16 mph the past few attempts. A friend, only a little younger than I, who's in beast mode on every ride, averages 20 mph on the same routes. I'll never manage that, but I'll take what I can get.
  • Sustaining 200 watts or more on our modest roller coaster climbs. Finally accomplished that the past week, several times on Wednesday night's ride. (My friend averages 200 watts on entire rides of 20-50 miles, but, again, I'm satisfied with my own progress.)

Next goals are the ride-my-age rides on a couple of milestones: last day of August, which was when I resumed cycling in 2015; and my birthday -- I'll be 60 this year. And I want to ride a century this year. I'm in good enough shape but it's hard to find time to devote an entire day to the effort. I'm caregiver for my ailing mom, the third older family member I've done this for, and while she's okay alone for a couple of hours at a time her perception of time is erratic and she tends to forget to take her meds, eat meals, etc., so I'll need to arrange for someone to look in on her while I'm gone all day trying to tackle a century ride.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-27-17, 04:38 PM
  #21020  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 11,700

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8570 Post(s)
Liked 2,753 Times in 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Thanks, @DougRNS! August 2015 was my first time back in the saddle after 30+ years away, and consequent injuries from a car wreck followed by the usual gettin' old stuff. It was a long, gradual grind getting back into shape.

I didn't begin using cycling apps until late 2015 and my average speed was 9 mph, including through early 2016 on a heavy comfort hybrid. Statistically, I was a typical Copenhagen cyclist.

Recently I reviewed all my cycling data and wasn't too surprised to discover the effects of selective memory. I remembered averaging 12-13 mph in 2016. Actually, that was late 2016 after I got a lighter, faster hybrid bike and really began cranking down on the workouts after a year of easing into things. My real overall average for 2016 was just over 10 mph. My solo rides averaged a little faster, but I also participated in a lot of casual group rides at closer to a 8-10 mph pace.

I still didn't really have any methodical workout plan. I was just riding when I felt like it, as fast or slow as I felt comfortable with, and rode as little or as long as I wanted. But by the spring of 2017 I felt like I'd plateaued in conditioning. The same modest hills were still just as challenging. We have few continuous long hills, mostly lots of roller coaster 3%-5% grades of 0.3-0.5 miles long, with a 100-400 yard downhill slope, then another climb, and so on. And those are mostly outside of town. It's a long, gradual downhill grade to the downtown area where most casual group rides congregate, so I wasn't really getting much of a workout although the social aspect was fun.

So in early June this year I got a somewhat lighter older road bike, a 23 lb Centurion Ironman from 1989, and began interval training, lots of 10-20 mile hard rides, mostly within a few minutes of home. Those nearby roller coaster hills are ideal for that. Took a few weeks to begin to see any progress but it's coming along. And the longer casual rides on the hybrid feel like a vacation now.

I'm setting reasonable goals:
  • Breaking 16 mph on a rural route that I've ridden dozens of times. Getting closer, just under 16 mph the past few attempts. A friend, only a little younger than I, who's in beast mode on every ride, averages 20 mph on the same routes. I'll never manage that, but I'll take what I can get.
  • Sustaining 200 watts or more on our modest roller coaster climbs. Finally accomplished that the past week, several times on Wednesday night's ride. (My friend averages 200 watts on entire rides of 20-50 miles, but, again, I'm satisfied with my own progress.)

Next goals are the ride-my-age rides on a couple of milestones: last day of August, which was when I resumed cycling in 2015; and my birthday -- I'll be 60 this year. And I want to ride a century this year. I'm in good enough shape but it's hard to find time to devote an entire day to the effort. I'm caregiver for my ailing mom, the third older family member I've done this for, and while she's okay alone for a couple of hours at a time her perception of time is erratic and she tends to forget to take her meds, eat meals, etc., so I'll need to arrange for someone to look in on her while I'm gone all day trying to tackle a century ride.
Sounds like you got a good plan and so far it seems like it's working. Best of luck and I'm rooting for you. A 16 mph average isn't all that shabby.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 12:33 AM
  #21021  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,764

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,036 Posts
4 mile commute, 4 miles out to the ride meetup point, another 8 to the TT start point, 12 mile TT with the club, then about 6 miles home. An couple miles for an errand later, for about 30 today.

100F when I left the office, so it was a bit rough the first few miles.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 10:30 AM
  #21022  
Senior Member
 
John_V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,585

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Did the usual 40 mile route with my buddy, Frank C, this morning. Humidity wasn't bad today but the heat was pretty bad. Weather app was reporting 90-94 temps with "Feels Like" temps of 100-105. And those are morning temps.
__________________
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 05:19 PM
  #21023  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,169

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 454 Posts
26-mile turnaround point at Damariscotta boat launch park
__________________

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-05-18 at 06:09 PM.
1989Pre is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 05:34 PM
  #21024  
Author Guy
 
Greybeard712's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 1,015

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix Pro, 2011 Roubaix Expert, 2006 Tarmac S-Works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24.4 miles (39.3k). Waited 8 months for nice weather to get here. I'm averaging 25.7 miles/day and 180 miles/week for July. Not bad for an ol' duffer (over 70).

2017: 3,451m (5,554k) ♂ Total: 18,440m (29,676k)
Greybeard712 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 06:57 PM
  #21025  
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 16,215

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 223 Posts
biked to work again. and back home again. 22 miles.
__________________
Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.