Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 05:37 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
34 miles with 1800' of climbing (mostly in the first 10 miles). TT'd up the hill, down the hill, then continued such for the next 10 miles. After maneuvering through various sections of roadwork I did some training intervals, with a nice 2-mi. cool-down that made me realize how cooked my legs were (are).

I saw a flock of turkeys that respectfully waited for me to blow past them before crossing the road. Ben Franklin was right about those birds.
Nice of them to wait. I was rolling down Alhambra valley at about 35 mph when one decided to cross infront of me at about handlebar height. Went eye-to-eye whith him as he slipped by. I'm not sure which turkey would have won that one.
Old 07-19-11, 08:55 AM
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a new place to ride in the largest park in the metro area, but without cars while TPTB thinks about fixing the cracks on my favorite bike path so that I don't have to ride at night if I don't want to. I just have to drive my bike over there to it. Yaay!
Old 07-19-11, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
51 miles yesterday, 74 to 84 degrees, usual beach ride with stop for shredded beef taco and a coke wihich i really needed. Sunny with some wind 8 to 15 mph.
Old 07-19-11, 11:24 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow cool temps. Being from the Arizona desert, i'm not used the these temps. in the summer. I was going to do a hill climb today but my ankle informed me it was to soon after I sprained it. I fell off my bike doing the hill climb. I was looking over the side of the road into a canyon and got off into the soft shoulder and over I went. It didn't hurt till the next day. Go figure.
I did the lake loop instead. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/100313105
Old 07-19-11, 11:29 AM
Century bound

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
64 miles with a little group today, featuring several long and agonizing climbs, and then a nice lunch! We're planning a 125 mile ride for this Tuesday...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/99946308
Sometimes I forget to put my HR strap on too. Good luck on the 125.
Old 07-19-11, 05:22 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
It's nice today here, I rode 62 miles in a big loop southwest of town. It was 65 degrees when I started riding at 9:30 and right at 70 when I finished up. Beautiful ride, everything is so green, you've got to love Oregon!
Old 07-19-11, 05:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
10 miles on my new-to-me bent. A real learning experience. I am proud to say that I jumped right on and rode with no balance or other problems!! Not bad for 71+, if I may say so myself.
Old 07-19-11, 06:21 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Rode to and from work today (19.5 miles) in spite of DANGER! WILL ROBINSON! EXTREME HEAT ADVISORY! AVOID OUTDOOR ACTIVITY! warnings all over the media.
Not at all bad at 7am. Hot at 415pm but I rode a bit slower than usual and drank 1.5 bottles of water. Not too bad, all in all.
Lord, did the AC feel So Good when I walked in the house, though.
Old 07-19-11, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just got back from 8.3 miles, good for me during the week
Old 07-19-11, 07:49 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
30 miles in the normal 90+ degree Tampa heat and humidity. This ride put me at 427 miles for July. Should be able to pass 500 this month.
Old 07-19-11, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 14 and change from my house to work. Heading back in about two hours, same distance!
Old 07-19-11, 10:29 PM
Ride like the wind!

Bikes: Trek 700 wsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a setback yesterday, and ended up in the ER.

I was riding with a friend and less than an hour into the ride, after I'd already had to take a few short rests, I got too weak to continue. We stopped at a store and I got more water, though I'd already finished my 24-oz bottle, and I ate a peanut candy bar but still just felt weaker and my vision was grey around the edges.

There happened to be paramedics eating lunch at the store so my friend, who was panicking, just had to get them to come over. They didn't like the blue-ish-purple tinge around my lips nor my low blood pressure (95/54) and pushed me to go to the ER.

Turns out they couldn't take me, though, because they hadn't been dispatched. (It was only a couple of blocks away so I said I would ride over there--you should have seen their faces.) So they had my friend call 911. Next thing you know here are 2 firemen, and a few minutes later 3 more paramedics all clustered around me and lecturing me on the foolishness of getting out to ride in the 95-degree heat. By the time they got me and my bike to the ER, almost every one of them had managed to say something to me about it, and I was getting really pissed. They even lectured my friend for "allowing" me to go out in this heat. (Like because I'm over 50 and an Athena I'm incompetent or something.) Even the security guard at the ER, when he passed my gurney said loudly that folks should know better than to get out of the house in this heat. (I contented myself with rolling my eyes, and noting that his ass and stomach were twice the size of mine.)

Anyway, a few hours later, after some blood tests, an EKG, and a bag of fluid, my blood pressure was back to normal and I tried to leave. That made the doctor finally come talk to me. He said he wanted to do a stress test though I told him I'd been riding an hour or two almost every day for the last 6 weeks and I'd had no problems at all. Fortunately he called my doctor, who told him that since I'd been riding that much I'd already done my own stress test.

Finally he released me after telling me not to ride until I see my doctor to discuss having a stress test. I just smiled and nodded, then got on my bike and rode home.

I think what happened is that since I'd been sick with a sore throat the two previous days I hadn't drank as much as usual and so I'd started my ride under-hydrated. I looked up all the symptoms when I got home and they match exactly for dehydration.

Lessons definitely learned, especially to think about and make sure I'm sufficiently hydrated before I ride in this heat. And I've realized that I tend to avoid drinking from my water bottle on rides because I don't want to run out of water. I know now that's not a very good idea, so I just ordered a 2-liter camel-back pack so I'll know I have plenty of water and won't be hesitant to drink up.
Old 07-19-11, 11:04 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, nutmeg, scary! Glad it turned out well. Keep drinking lots.

I did some hill training today; 19.7 mi., 1546' of climbing, 14.2 mph. Logged 34.5 on a smooth, sweeping, newly-paved downhill. Legs felt strong, except for a couple of sprints with some women friends I ran into; the lactic caused some serious pain.

They say pain is weakness leaving the body...we'll see...
Old 07-20-11, 12:03 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew it would eventually happen. Riding my bike enough to crush my urethra and started an infection. Went to the doctor yesterday because it was getting to where I couldn't pee. About 3 hours later, I walked out with a catheter inserted up my male parts and a bag strapped to my leg. Doctor put me on two antibiotics as well.

It would be pretty uncomfortable sitting on my bike saddle with that catheter poked up my underside! I think I'll just take a break...
Old 07-20-11, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Trek 1200; Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Half hour today on the trainer before breakfast. Hey, it's another step on the path.
Old 07-20-11, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by nutmegTN
I had a setback yesterday, and ended up in the ER.

I was riding with a friend and less than an hour into the ride, after I'd already had to take a few short rests, I got too weak to continue. We stopped at a store and I got more water, though I'd already finished my 24-oz bottle, and I ate a peanut candy bar but still just felt weaker and my vision was grey around the edges.

There happened to be paramedics eating lunch at the store so my friend, who was panicking, just had to get them to come over. They didn't like the blue-ish-purple tinge around my lips nor my low blood pressure (95/54) and pushed me to go to the ER.

Turns out they couldn't take me, though, because they hadn't been dispatched. (It was only a couple of blocks away so I said I would ride over there--you should have seen their faces.) So they had my friend call 911. Next thing you know here are 2 firemen, and a few minutes later 3 more paramedics all clustered around me and lecturing me on the foolishness of getting out to ride in the 95-degree heat. By the time they got me and my bike to the ER, almost every one of them had managed to say something to me about it, and I was getting really pissed. They even lectured my friend for "allowing" me to go out in this heat. (Like because I'm over 50 and an Athena I'm incompetent or something.) Even the security guard at the ER, when he passed my gurney said loudly that folks should know better than to get out of the house in this heat. (I contented myself with rolling my eyes, and noting that his ass and stomach were twice the size of mine.)

Anyway, a few hours later, after some blood tests, an EKG, and a bag of fluid, my blood pressure was back to normal and I tried to leave. That made the doctor finally come talk to me. He said he wanted to do a stress test though I told him I'd been riding an hour or two almost every day for the last 6 weeks and I'd had no problems at all. Fortunately he called my doctor, who told him that since I'd been riding that much I'd already done my own stress test.

Finally he released me after telling me not to ride until I see my doctor to discuss having a stress test. I just smiled and nodded, then got on my bike and rode home.

I think what happened is that since I'd been sick with a sore throat the two previous days I hadn't drank as much as usual and so I'd started my ride under-hydrated. I looked up all the symptoms when I got home and they match exactly for dehydration.

Lessons definitely learned, especially to think about and make sure I'm sufficiently hydrated before I ride in this heat. And I've realized that I tend to avoid drinking from my water bottle on rides because I don't want to run out of water. I know now that's not a very good idea, so I just ordered a 2-liter camel-back pack so I'll know I have plenty of water and won't be hesitant to drink up.
Glad you're OK !

One can be fully hydrated and still get too hot. It can still be heat exhaustion of heat stroke.
Old 07-20-11, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started out this morning hotter than heck out.I was not feelin it so i just took it easy and did 10 miles and called it quits.Now after reading about nutmeg i made the right call.Hope you are feeling better nutmeg.I hope it cools off soon.
Old 07-20-11, 10:23 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
12.5 miles on Hwy 69 feeder road this morning before work. Avg speed; 15 mph.
Old 07-20-11, 11:31 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
10 miles on my new-to-me bent. A real learning experience. I am proud to say that I jumped right on and rode with no balance or other problems!! Not bad for 71+, if I may say so myself.
That's great to hear! I must confess, I am a closeted 'bent fan: Don't own one, don't imagine I will any time in the near (i.e, <10 years) future, but under duress I will admit I think they're some of the coolest toys on two wheels...but I've always wondered whether all the Balance, Starting/Stopping, Turn Radius, and (of course) Climbing issues would make me regret it if I ever did buy one. Your post gives me hope!

Today I rode the usual Wednesday morning 25-mile loop (hilly first half, moderately rolling Time Trial-esque second half) with three other people, one of whom I'd never riden with before, another who was one of my coaching students this Spring, plus the wife...wound up cutting 20 minutes off the typical round trip time!!! Yee-haw!

Last edited by Bob Ross; 07-20-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 12:53 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Resistance xrcs, 20 miles on the Lemond, 30 min swim, followed by 10 miles on the bent and lunch with the wife at the local corner Chinese place.
Old 07-20-11, 03:50 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
19.9 miles, 1342 ft climbing, 52 minutes before work and before the heat set in for the day. Finish with a fine coffee and a croissant.
Old 07-20-11, 04:37 PM
Century bound

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Still nursing that sprained ankle. Doing easy rides, but still cycling.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/100590764
Old 07-20-11, 04:38 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We left an hour early to try to beat some of this heat. Thirty four miles with rtool, John and our recumbent friend, Bob. We went to a favorite cafe of ours in Troy. They have a great lunch buffet but we were too early and opted for a late breakfast.

We picked one of the shaded trails in the area this morning

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Night Sky Ride 002.jpg (101.4 KB, 7 views)

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-20-11, 09:00 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
23 mile ride after work. Most of the usual Wednesday group was missing. Just two of us rode today, the two who live near the start. I think the others were discouraged by the thunderstorms that came through a couple of hours earlier. It was cloudy at 6 when we rode, but no rain and light wind.
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/100612244
Old 07-20-11, 10:03 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
about 34 miles this evening including a 22 mile club ride. Mid 90s and a stiff 15 MPH wind made interesting riding conditions, but the worst of the heat wave is over (heat index only about 102). Much nicer than the ride last night in a heat index of 115.

Riding in this kind of heat is not pleasant and you have to adjust your effort, but it doesn't feel that bad, really. The worst is stopping at a red light when there is no shade. Still, I'm looking forward to some cooler temperatures so I can get back up above 200 miles/week. I don't feel like I'm maintaining strength or stamina when I fall below that threshold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.