Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fred

Old 06-26-09, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3, P2C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fred

So, it took me a year since I started riding (July 2008) to hear the term Fred which I had to Google. Ouch. If you are over 50, own 2 fancy carbon bikes but ride them lots, do centuries and charity rides, does that remove the Fred designation?
Old 06-26-09, 02:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cervelo-van
If you are over 50, own 2 fancy carbon bikes but ride them lots, do centuries and charity rides, does that remove the Fred designation?
Only if you are OCP enough to wear the red shorts with your 50+ jersey

Spike Milligan
Old 06-26-09, 02:33 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
A lot of people - including the FredCast guy - like to think that Fred means somebody who likes the latest techie bike stuff... GPS, Di2, powertaps, etc.

But Fred simply means a dork or a geek on a bike... doesn't matter how much of that stuff you have or don't have but it does sort of imply that you act as though you're a better or more serious rider than you really are.

So to not be a Fred - don't act like one, don't look like one, and it doesn't much matter what you ride (within reason).
Old 06-26-09, 02:40 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
There are several definitions of Fred. Another is the biker who is very good but chooses to ride "whatever" and dress "whatever" and shows up at A rides and even races kicking the club riders' butts. I have not seen this to be true. The elite cat 1,2 guys that show up at club A rides kick everyones' butts and they look like pros doing it. Any of these so called Freds are blown off the back.

As far has having great equipment and clothes that function and fit to reduce aero drag, it will benefit weaker riders the most. That is due to the limited power that beginners / recreational riders produce. The better equipment and clothes reduces weight, rolling resistance and aero drag which is a greater percentage of their power. For advanced riders producing more power the percentage benefit is less.

However, your post about average speed was very Fredelicious.

Last edited by Hermes; 06-26-09 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 02:43 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am with the OP, been riding again almost a year before I had heard the term Fred. I have no issues being called a Fred (much nicer than some of the other things I have been called)
BTW what is OCP?
Old 06-26-09, 02:51 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by xtrajack
I am with the OP, been riding again almost a year before I had heard the term Fred. I have no issues being called a Fred (much nicer than some of the other things I have been called)
BTW
what is OCP?
Obsessive Compulsive Poseur. Someone who must have everything match. A slight variation is just a Poseur who has all the right clothes and equipment but no power.
Old 06-26-09, 02:52 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
BTW what is OCP?
I believe it's Obsessive Compulsive Poser (or Poseur, to give it a faux French spin).

OCP = bar tape matches seat color matches sock color matches jersey matches gloves matches water bottles.

Sometimes implies that the rider spends more time detailing his bike and kit than he/she does actually riding.
Old 06-26-09, 02:56 PM
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been called a Fred (at least, not where I could hear it), but wouldn't care if I were. I ride in street clothes on an '80s-vintage Univega road bike and if that makes me look Freddish, so be it. My riding is for my own pleasure, not for making a fashion statement or trying to impress anyone.
Old 06-26-09, 02:59 PM
Version 7.0

If anyone is bothered by this thread here is a solution.

Courtesy of Pcad.
Old 06-26-09, 03:08 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
So, it took me a year since I started riding (July 2008) to hear the term Fred which I had to Google. Ouch. If you are over 50, own 2 fancy carbon bikes but ride them lots, do centuries and charity rides, does that remove the Fred designation?
You are not a Fred. But it sounds like you may be well down the road toward OCP.

My concept of Fred has nothing to do with being fast or slow and is definitely not about being geeked out about the latest teckie stuff.

Someone who pretends to be a better rider than he is is a poseur, not a Fred. A poseur who rides the latest tricked out bike while wearing all the right color coordinated bike clothes is an obsessive compulsive poseur (OCP).

A Fred is a clueless dweeb on a bike. The kind of guy who thinks the Huffy he rides with polyester slacks, construction boots, a button up shirt and a BMX helmet will make him fit right in with the A group. It's not that he doesn't care that he looks like a misfit. He doesn't know it.
Old 06-26-09, 03:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A true Fred never knows he is a Fred. The term has several meanings, but the most common is an individual who rides - likely fairly well, wearing whatever - generally not OCP, riding whatever, and, just maybe, riding better than a whole lot of other people, and totally oblivious to the "standards" of the rest of the bicycle world.

So, if you think you are a Fred, you aren't. However, one can also be Fred-like.
Old 06-26-09, 03:46 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From all the definitions people have suggested here I have to say - STOP IT!

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!!
Old 06-26-09, 03:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
https://www.bicyclesource.com/bicycling_glossary

fred 1) n. a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney".

2) n. a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. This term is from road touring and, according to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.
Old 06-26-09, 04:22 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Help! My middle name is [Al]fred. I had enough trouble w/ Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Newman when I was a pre-teen.

I guess I often dress like a Fred, with a big klunky Giro Xen helmet, a t-shirt, expedition shorts, and either BMX or mountain biking shoes. One of the club regulars looked quite surprised when I wore one of my few real jerseys a couple of weeks ago.

I have always believed that the saying, "the clothes make the man," is backward.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-26-09, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Hey! This is 50+. Most of us, having lived this long, have figured out that there's no way we can please everybody else so we just do whatever makes ourselves happy. Don't worry about the "Fred" and "Poseur" designations.
Old 06-26-09, 04:45 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Nope. You are a Fred.
As JFK said in his famous speech
"Today, we are all Freds!"

Actually, your self description is perfect description of a Fred.
Old 06-26-09, 05:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A true Fred never knows he is a Fred. The term has several meanings, but the most common is an individual who rides - likely fairly well, wearing whatever - generally not OCP, riding whatever, and, just maybe, riding better than a whole lot of other people, and totally oblivious to the "standards" of the rest of the bicycle world.

So, if you think you are a Fred, you aren't. However, one can also be Fred-like.
I think you almost nailed it except for the part about being likely to be a good rider. Might be, might not be. Doesn't matter.
Old 06-26-09, 05:10 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling is full of wanna be pros and fashion police. It's a shame really. Who cares? I remember some called Floyd Landis a Fred for having his stem flipped up. Come on? Really? Why must people always typecast others? LOL. If you want the deep rim carbon wheels, get them. Don't worry what anyone else thinks. They're probably envious because they can't afford them. Perhaps they're the Freds of the labor market? There I go with the stereotypes again.
Old 06-26-09, 05:39 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I remember some called Floyd Landis a Fred
Landis was a doper not a Fred - Don't denegrate us Freds!

Don't take that the wrong way though - IMHO because of his rotten hip the drugs probably leveled the field so I give him full credit for what he accomplished.
But justice prevailed.
Old 06-26-09, 06:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I believe it's Obsessive Compulsive Poser (or Poseur, to give it a faux French spin).

OCP = bar tape matches seat color matches sock color matches jersey matches gloves matches water bottles.

Sometimes implies that the rider spends more time detailing his bike and kit than he/she does actually riding.
My saddle is black but everything else is red.

However, the "Plus 50" won't get you very many poseur points, which is one reason why I like it.

I compensate my wearing a bright red do-rag.
Old 06-26-09, 07:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey I resemble a slob

HI,
I don't wash my bike every day its older birght yellow bike 2001 cad 4 and its my best bike My older bike is a Pinkish 1986 Ironman.., My chain is a little dirty ..And I have a leather seat for comfort
I may have a smudge on my left calve when I dismount, I do wear suspender under my Jersey with a undershirt to wick moisture and I usally wear a skull cap for the same reason.
and none of my bike parts make sense, Atlas Helmet.
Old fart Jersey, black pants, I like the butt butter.
And I usally wear a mirror on my helmet.
and I have at least 2 blinky light one on my helmet and on on the seat. And Good blinky white light on the bars aimed at oncoming.
I have a cadance speed ometer and a heart rate monitor that tells me I am slacker..
And I ride average 32mile per day , for a guy pushin 59.
I hope I am not a Fred. but I may be a poser trying to look like a Fred who
may think he's better than he is. is that a Fred ???
Doug

Last edited by djnzlab1; 06-26-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 07:04 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by djnzlab1
HI,
I don't wash my bike every day its older birght yellow bike 2001 cad 4 and its my best bike My older bike is a Pinkish Ironman.., My chain is a little dirty ..
I may have a smudge on my left calve when I dismount, I do wear suspender under my Jersey with a undershirt to wick moisture and I usally wear a skull cap for the same reason.
and none of my bike parts make sense, Atlas Helmet.
Old fart Jersey, black pants, I like the butt butter.
And I usally wear a mirror on my helmet.
and I have at least 2 blinky light one on my helmet and on on the seat. And Good blinky white light on the bars aimed at oncoming.
I have a cadance speed ometer and a heart rate monitor that tells me I am slacker..
And I ride average 32mile per day , for a guy pushin 59.
I hope I am not a Fred. but I may be a poser trying to look like a Fred who
may think he's better than he is. is that a Fred ???
Doug
Helmet mirror= Fred.
i don't make the rules, I just report.
Old 06-26-09, 07:15 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Helmet mirror= Fred.
Yup, that's one of the absolutes.
Old 06-26-09, 08:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought sooo

Argghhh Now I know the truth,
I feel so Freddie.
Doug
Old 06-26-09, 10:01 PM
just keep riding

If you think you might be a Fred, you aren't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.