Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Got My Official Birthday Ride taken care of…with pics

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-27-09, 07:29 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A local group of recumbent enthusiasts conduct an annual ride in late June. It’s generally about 75 to 85 miles long and includes lunch at a Bar-B-Que restaurant downtown. The ride starts at Hamlin Beach State Park and many out of town participants camp in the park the night prior to the ride. (I slept in my dry, air conditioned home as I only live 20 minutes from the park by Van.) The ride is a relaxed group ride…no leader, no sweep, if you want to stray off course it’s fine as long as someone knows it’s intentional and you’re not lost. The night before the ride I put the Tour Easy into the Van along with everything else I wanted to bring, as my mind is a terrible confused mess early in the morning. Doesn’t it look cozy all bungied down in there?

After stopping at my local eatery for a nice hot breakfast of French Toast and Sausage Links, a tall O.J. and plenty of coffee, I drove out to the Park and pulled Black Bike from the Van. It was 30 minutes before ride time and several people were unloading their vehicles already. I just turned my back for one minute and while I wasn't paying it any attention, Black Bike found a friend.

Here’s our “Long Ride” bunch all lined up for a group photo. There is a short loop ride that meets us in the suburbs of Rochester and then breaks off after lunch.

Finally we’re rolling out of Hamlin Beach State Park. It’s a Sunny day with cooling Lake breezes and no threat of rain at all.

This is the last time, other than during lunch, that this many of us will be within a quarter mile of each other. As we find our individual pace the group spreads out quite a bit.

About 45 miles into the ride we stop on this reclaimed old bridge. No more cars for this baby, just bikes and pedestrians. Renamed the Pont de Rennes, it provides a great view of the Upper Falls of the Genesee River in the heart of downtown Rochester.

Here’s a few riders rolling into Basil Marella Park in the town of Greece, the start / stop point for the “Short ride”.

Here it is, 88 miles into a 90 mile ride. The road is smooth, traffic is non-existent, the lake breeze is refreshing and life can’t get much better!
Old 06-27-09, 07:40 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
A local group of recumbent enthusiasts conduct an annual ride in late June. It’s generally about 75 to 85 miles long
OK, Cranky. You got the birthday ride covered, congratulations The report was nice as well as the pix. You always do a great job in this regard, but inquiring minds want to know, are you 75 or 85 or something in between????
Old 06-27-09, 08:09 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's to ya Lenny!
One thing though, How can you pass that close to Dino-BBQ and not stop! Were going to get one in Troy soon, I'll probably gain 10 lbs... I'll have to ride over to Troy for lunch just to break even.
Old 06-27-09, 09:18 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is something strangely odd/romantic about recumbants. I love those three wheelers. The guy on the road bike in the 4th picture looks out of place. Nice pics. thanks.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 06-28-09, 10:31 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a nice in in R-town yesterday. I took the long loop to work, then did it again on the way home.

I recognize a couple of guys and a couple of bikes in your photos. Always nice to see.
Old 06-28-09, 10:32 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
OK, Cranky. You got the birthday ride covered, congratulations The report was nice as well as the pix. You always do a great job in this regard, but inquiring minds want to know, are you 75 or 85 or something in between????
Funny man! I turned 58 back on the 19th.

Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

Here's to ya Lenny!
One thing though, How can you pass that close to Dino-BBQ and not stop! Were going to get one in Troy soon, I'll probably gain 10 lbs... I'll have to ride over to Troy for lunch just to break even.
That is exactly where we had lunch. You're right, it's darned good food!

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
There is something strangely odd/romantic about recumbants. I love those three wheelers. The guy on the road bike in the 4th picture looks out of place. Nice pics. thanks.
That guy rode alongside his dad who piloted one of the trikes. I rode on and off with them to about the 70mile point at which time they slowly dis-appeared into the distance as they rode on up ahead of my slowing fat self. They are both very strong riders.

I had kind-a sort-a trained for this by doing a few 60 miles rides on my heavier LWB Recumbent and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to hole the group pace during the first 3/4 of the ride. I must have trained properly as I had no issues at all. Even dragging my butt in at the end, I finished ahead of a lot of other riders. I'll be much less nervous going in to next year's ride.
Old 06-28-09, 10:37 AM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride report and pics, you rule Crank!
Old 06-28-09, 07:08 PM
bikerjohn
a fat old bus driver

Location: Spencerport, NY; on the Erie canal, a great towpath for biking!

Bikes: Specialized '05"Globe"; Royce Union "Express"; Dahon "Cadenza"; Bianchi "Castro Valley commuter"; Cruzbike "Sofrider" FWD recumbent;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lenny, Happy Birthday! You looked to be in fine form for the ride!
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bikerjohn; 06-28-09 at 07:11 PM. Reason: photo
Old 06-28-09, 08:22 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Terrific!! Are most of the riders from close by?

I find it interesting there are that many bents in one area. For whatever reason, we seem to have very few around these parts.
Old 06-28-09, 08:46 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy birthday, COD! I really enjoyed your report and pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-29-09, 08:48 AM
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranky, aren't you a little old to be driving a shag wagon?
Old 06-29-09, 02:20 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjohn View Post
Lenny, Happy Birthday! You looked to be in fine form for the ride!
Thank You. I very seldom get into a group ride and was a bit nervous, but you all took good care of me. You're all a great pleasure to ride with and I'm already looking foreward to next year's ride. I'm hoping to catch a couple of Hell 'bent for breakfast runs too.

Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Terrific!! Are most of the riders from close by?

I find it interesting there are that many bents in one area. For whatever reason, we seem to have very few around these parts.
I think many are from nearby, though we had several of our Canadian neighbors on the ride and I'm sure others from other parts of the nearby Northeast. I understand one of the ride regulars from Pa., the man I bought my Volae from, was busy riding RAAM. He's one of the eight riders on Team Type 2.

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
Cranky, aren't you a little old to be driving a shag wagon?
Are you kidding. With the amount of money I've put into that P.O.S. just to get the first 50,000 miles out of it, I'm negotiating to use it as my casket.
Old 06-29-09, 04:03 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great photos, thanks Lenny. I was there, and show up in a few of the photos (in the bright pink Southern Tier Bike Club shirt). I drove up 2½ hours to Hamlin Beach park, tented there both nights and did the century ride.

What a beautiful ride it was, perfect weather, great folks. And the Dinosaur was exactly what I needed midway through my ride.