Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rides near Waynesville, NC?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our long time dream has come true and we now have a house in Waynesville, NC. Unfortunately, Mr. Economy and Mr. Obama are going to make me work a few more years, but we will get to spend time in NC. Our full time home is in South Florida, where I get in about 100 to 150 miles a week, pretty much year round. A lot of those miles are on Jupiter Island, Jupiter and up to Jensen Beach.

Does anyone ride around Waynesville? I saw some riders packing up near our new house and should have talked to them. Last time we were there, a couple of weeks ago, I had just finished BRAG and our house wasn't quite done. The only ride I managed was out 209 to Crabtree. We are actually on the other side of town, off of 276 South.

We are going up July 4, but I probably can't get my bike up there.

If anyone is riding up there, I would love to know some good rides in the 20 to 50 mile range.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-09, 06:13 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ask the folks in the Southeast Regional subforum. Lots of NC folks there.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-28-09, 06:24 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
BF member JPPE is closer to you than I am. You'll have fun keeping up with him.
Old 06-28-09, 06:46 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live on the other side of the Balsam Mtns. and ride almost everyday, well when I can anyway. I don't ride around Waynesville because it has traffic issues but I'm up on the BRP a lot and ride in Jackson and Macon Counties most.
Old 06-28-09, 08:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Western NC is a great place to live, play and ride. My wife and I will be looking for a place to call home one of these days so I'd love to hear how you like the area when you've settled in.

I hope you have either or a triple or a compact crank!!
Old 06-29-09, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Triple, with a 27-12 in the rear. I rode BRAG this year and the first 2 days were in the mountains. 1st day had a 5.5 mile climb up Unocoi. The triple worked great, I just went real slow at times.

Thanks for the tip on the regional subforum.
Old 06-29-09, 01:56 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode up on the BRP this afternoon doing big gear low cadence intervals on about a 7% grade. It was an awesome 65º.
Old 06-29-09, 06:57 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I rode up on the BRP this afternoon doing big gear low cadence intervals on about a 7% grade. It was an awesome 65º.
It was 65 here too but I think that was the humidity!! Seriously I find it amazing-and refreshing-the difference 3000'-4000' in elevation can make. Last Saturday got a little warm in spots but nothing like around these parts......
Old 06-29-09, 07:51 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I live in Waynesville myself about half of every week, and South Carolina the other half. We bought our retirement home there a few years back. We live right downtown, just off of US276.

My "motor" is better suited to SC. I keep my modified rigid mountain bike in Waynesville, as it gives me a lot lower gears than my road bike. The rest of my bikes are in SC, where I do 99% of my riding.

Waynesville is a great town! The city's rec center is pretty nice too.

+1 Traffic and narrow roads not too conducive to riding in town. But many brave riders do it all the time.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-29-09 at 07:53 PM. Reason: comment