Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Happy Canada Day!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Happy Canada Day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 05:54 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Canada Day!

Our country is 142 today. Looks like a good day for a bike ride.
Old 07-01-09, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Happy Birthday to you and the rest of our northern neighbors, Ken.

Our birthday is a few days away. Let the fireworks begin.
Old 07-01-09, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good on Canada Ay Ill BE up for a visit soon If my passport card ever gets here.Have missed my New Brunswick rides but my first trip up this time will be Quebec. Good Canada day to ya./Kenneth
Old 07-01-09, 08:00 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Good fences make good neighbors.......oops! No, that's Mexico.

Happy Canada Day! Do y'all get the day off?
Old 07-01-09, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Good fences make good neighbors.......oops! No, that's Mexico.

Happy Canada Day! Do y'all get the day off?
Well, If the current paranoia propegated by the self-justifying TSA continues, there will be a fence and travel permits required. Just like the good old USSR.

Thank you and yes we do!
Old 07-01-09, 08:43 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Our country is 142 today. Looks like a good day for a bike ride.
And you don't look a day over 120! Keep your sticks on the ice.

Here in greater Detroit Ontario is just a hop across the border of course. We're going to Elora ON next weekend to take in some of the Elora (Music) Festival & visit friends there. Alas, spouse doesn't bike and I don't think I'll have time to ride. Too bad - there are some actual hills there & I could get in some needed climbing practice.
Old 07-01-09, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Well, If the current paranoia propegated by the self-justifying TSA continues, there will be a fence and travel permits required. Just like the good old USSR.

Thank you and yes we do!
Anti-Americanism is so ingrained up here that it occasionally spills over into various Bike Forum threads. Fortunately, graciousness is so ingrained in Americans that our hosts ignore these little outbursts and for that I admire them Happy 4th!
Old 07-01-09, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Anti-Americanism is so ingrained up here that it occasionally spills over into various Bike Forum threads. Fortunately, graciousness is so ingrained in Americans that our hosts ignore these little outbursts and for that I admire them Happy 4th!
It's not "Anti-Americanism" at all NVan. I work in the air transportation world and the changes, restrictions, both in-place and planned are going to cripple segments of the industry. Just recently, the TSA placed a ban on all non-scheduled flights over the US, it's territories whether landing in the US or not, unless 10 days written notice of all crew and passengers was supplied. Non-complying flights had to land in either Bermuda or the Bahamas then proceed to the US. They have since altered that allowing flight that did not land in the US to at least transit their airspace. This even irritated US Customs as it clearly usurped them.

There is no grace associated with the TSA. Now, you probably only know of them at the airport security level so I will forgive the ignorance of your comment. I don't let policies of the TSA affect my feelings towards Americans. Great people and a great nation with a department that has run amok

Way off topic in the rant and for that I apologize. Happy Canada Day and when it is here, Happy 4th to the US members. Lets hope common sense interjects so fences are never required.
Old 07-01-09, 09:44 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Per jdon: The TSA's (and Homeland Security - god I hate the authoritarian ring of that) policies have been aptly called "Security Theater": More about the appearance of security than actual effectiveness. The Atlantic magazine & Website have had some good articles about that.

It's not anti-American or unpatriotic to question apparent knavery and foolishness in one's own government or even the government of a neighboring and presumably friendly nation. It's called freedom.

Now, will you Canucks stop trying to take over our critical donut and coffee ecomomic sector with your !@#$ Tim Horton's outlets around here? We know what you're up to. "R-r-r-r-oll up the rim - to LOSE YOUR NATIONAL SOVEREIGNITY AND FREEDOM TO THE GESTAPO IN GALOSHES!!"

---

50+ obscure nostalgia quiz: Where'd the "Gestapo in Galoshes" epithet come from? No, not the South Park movie.

Last edited by bcoppola; 07-01-09 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bcoppola

Now, will you Canucks stop trying to take over our critical donut and coffee ecomomic sector with your !@#$ Tim Horton's outlets around here? We know what you're up to.
As a card carrying Starbucks customer, I am doing my best to comply with your request.
Old 07-01-09, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Canada Day, Ken!
Old 07-01-09, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gestapo in galoshes equal either a obscure jazz band or the RCMP or very horrific memories for some people. By the way some canucks have a very weird sense of humour which is hard to describe to non-canadians excepting for the odd Brit.
Old 07-01-09, 03:09 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
We're going to Elora ON next weekend to take in some of the Elora (Music) Festival & visit friends there. Alas, spouse doesn't bike and I don't think I'll have time to ride. Too bad - there are some actual hills there & I could get in some needed climbing practice.
Elora is a great town, and there is a good rail trail (no hills on the trail, though):
https://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/webdoc3.htm
Old 07-01-09, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The single greatest day in my family's vacation history was Canada Day 2001. We were in the Rockies north of Lake Louise where we had a wonderful hike, saw a grizzly and a family of black bears, and my kids got their picture taken with some Mounties. We tried to stay up for the fireworks, but, starting at 11:00 p.m., we were too beat. It was a great day.
Old 07-01-09, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Happy Canada Day!

I wish I were in Tofino right now.
Old 07-01-09, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great day - I took an easy 20 km ride to the ice cream shop and back. I also got a new grandson in London UK today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jen&Oliver_1July09.jpg (84.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-01-09, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Happy Canada Day up there. What government agency ISN"T self-justifying?
Old 07-02-09, 07:33 AM
King of the molehills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, for the one or two people who might care: I got "gestapo in galoshes" from a long-ago feature/satire on Canada in the late lamented National Lampoon back in the '70s during the Trudeau era. Stuck in my head for some reason. That and the supposed Canadian coat of arms featuring a p*ssed off looking beaver and the motto "Someday Soon, Maybe". Basically every US stereotype of Canada you could think of taken to ridiculous extremes.

Ken: Mrs. and I have been going to Elora since the Gorge was a gully! We love it - it's our favorite long weekend getaway.

Last edited by bcoppola; 07-02-09 at 07:40 AM.