Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tried a new approach

Old 06-30-09, 01:04 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried a new approach

Today, I decided to just go to what felt comfortable, pay no attention to speed or avg mph during the ride. And it worked out to be one of the better rides of the season. Spent most of my time in the middle ring, used the big ring and the granny very sparingly. Just cruised along using some advice I got on this forum to stay in a gear that almost feels too low. When I found myself spinning too much I just slowed down. I tried to roll to the max on downhills and I seemed to eat up most of the uphills.

Result: 39.3 miles, top speed 30+ (downhill) and the average was between 13 and 14 mph. Total ascent 2360 ft, total descent 2298 ft. Alot different than rides where I was in higher gears and working harder, and enjoying it less.

I guess paying less attention to the computer and more to how your body feels, works wonders.
Old 06-30-09, 01:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That sounds like the right approach to me, particularly the part about spinning and using a somewhat lowish gear for the situation. I don't even have a computer on any of my road bikes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-30-09, 01:17 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, riding comfortable has to do with more than just posture... So ?did you come back to the same place where you started 62 feet higher or is that lower??? Just curious. Glad you had a good ride and discovered the joy of ridiing without pressure.
Old 06-30-09, 06:33 PM
Timtruro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Yes, riding comfortable has to do with more than just posture... So ?did you come back to the same place where you started 62 feet higher or is that lower??? Just curious. Glad you had a good ride and discovered the joy of ridiing without pressure.
The descrepancy in ascent and descent seems to happen a lot. Ended in the same place but taking a different route back, the topography etc had to have something to do with it.
Old 06-30-09, 08:16 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried setting my computer to the clock (time of day) screen a few rides back. It was a bit of a relief. I've done this several times since. I enjoy the ride and don't fret over the mileage while I'm on the road. I'll check it within a mile or so of the barn, but that's about it. I record all the data after I'm out of the shower.
Old 06-30-09, 08:23 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
Total ascent 2360 ft, total descent 2298 ft.
The tide must have come in.
Old 07-01-09, 04:12 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
I tried setting my computer to the clock (time of day) screen a few rides back. It was a bit of a relief. I've done this several times since. I enjoy the ride and don't fret over the mileage while I'm on the road. I'll check it within a mile or so of the barn, but that's about it. I record all the data after I'm out of the shower.
+1 I look at stuff every now and again, like I want to see how long a road might be I am taking for the first time or something like that, but most the time it is just the time of day. I am starting to not even look at that anymore too, just ride and go home then check it all out.
Old 07-01-09, 09:52 AM
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's been my approach for past two years. Much better than watching the computer.
Old 07-01-09, 12:33 PM
Timtruro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
That's been my approach for past two years. Much better than watching the computer.
Did it again today, more of a recovery ride than anything else, about 18 miles of enjoyment. Used the Sirrus today (yesterday the Roubaix). It is interesting how quickly we get hooked on the numbers much to the detriment of just riding for the fun and enjoyment. Whassup wid dat?