Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm feeling soggy - how 'bout you?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-01-09, 08:36 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On vacation this week - had plans for many a long bike ride, lots of hiking and canoeing. It was rained every day. Have managed to get a few short rides in but the woods are a muddy mess full of man eating bugs - no decent hiking and don't think about going to far in a canoe - open water and lightning don't mix. Thank goodness I am not stuck in a tent.

Oh well - maybe better weather coming, there is an 80 mile loop I want to do.
Old 07-01-09, 10:49 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did most of my biking on Limestone trails. This means that I share your feelings. Sustained rain will reduce the pleasure on those trails because wheels do not run nice on a soggy trail.
This motivated me to get busy plotting a bike friendly route from my home on paved roads. This took some doing. Thanks to Google Maps and Map-quest I found a 50 mile paved combination of trails and roads with bike lanes starting from my home.
I biked on this route in a light rain yesterday. Temperature was a pleasant F66. I was dressed for the light rain and had fun.
----------------
I used to refuse to ride on roads because of safety. A CC ride across America educated me that there often are alternate routes to be found. This also means that I can use my Madone which I prefer over the trail bike.
Old 07-01-09, 12:13 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend and I beat the rain today by starting at 7am. Got in a leisurely 50-miler and I was home just as the sprinkles began. We'd planned a metric, but picked the wrong place for breakfast. It took 45 minutes for our order to arrive. How long does it take for eggs, home fries and toast?

He likes to ride the Erie Canal towpath, so I put on the cyclocross tires and replaced the full fenders with the Portland's stock "fenderettes", and had at it.

Lots of mud puddles once we were out past the end of the pavement. They were handled best by unclipping, holding one's feet above the spray, and shouting "Wheeeee!"

Jeepers. I've never seen it quite so green in July.

My bike with some mud. John in the background.

John's bike. Full fenders do make a difference!

Some kids rode by just as I spotted this log floating past. "Hey, look! A rare Erie Canal gator!"

EDIT: John just sent this photo of yrs trly.

Last edited by tsl; 07-01-09 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added photo of tsl by bikerjohn
Old 07-01-09, 12:40 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like most places, damp and rainy here in New England too. But the good news is it has not been raining all day, most days. Usually get some rain in the morning then it lets up. Kind of a game picking the time of day for the ride. The last two days leaving at about ten o'clock has worked. The afternoons have been sunny with a sea breeze. A little muggy so the bugs are around, but in general not bad biking weather, without the sun beating down on you.
Old 07-01-09, 12:46 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dry and sunny in Seattle. Almost the driest June on record. My grass is dead.

I miss the rain.

Did I really just say that?
Old 07-01-09, 01:01 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Dry and sunny in Seattle. Almost the driest June on record. My grass is dead.

I miss the rain.

Did I really just say that?
My wife said yesterday that it is wetter here than in Washington, now I believe it.
Old 07-01-09, 04:22 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10092 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm on Cape Cod for a brief vacation. Weather is so bad, the bikes stayed home. I'll be home by friday and the weather looks dry for 3 days in a row there so riding can begin again. Only parts of my trails are limestone dusted (those parts are just wet). The rest of the trail network around my house is gravel at best and farm road at worst. Mud, mud, mud and small ponds in the middle of the trail to wash the mud off. A nice skunk stripe up the back is the result of a good day's ride. In a normal year, I would treat wet riding like a cat would treat a dip in the pool. This year, however, if its warm enough to not get too cold I'll ride in the damp. So far much to my surprise my candy ass hasn't melted. This must be what it's like to ride in Seattle.
Old 07-01-09, 04:39 PM
peculiarplanet
wafer thin dream

Bikes: Bianchi Vigorelli, GT ZuM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's HOT in San Francisco, almost broke 75!
Old 07-01-09, 05:47 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been reading about all the rain in NY this year. Think of the bright side - you could be getting this much precip in January.
Old 07-01-09, 06:09 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
I've been reading about all the rain in NY this year. Think of the bright side - you could be getting this much precip in January.
In January if it came as snow I'd be in hog heaven.
Old 07-01-09, 06:10 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
On vacation this week - had plans for many a long bike ride, lots of hiking and canoeing. It was rained every day. Have managed to get a few short rides in but the woods are a muddy mess full of man eating bugs - no decent hiking and don't think about going to far in a canoe - open water and lightning don't mix. Thank goodness I am not stuck in a tent.

Oh well - maybe better weather coming, there is an 80 mile loop I want to do.
You've had a much wetter June than we have on this side of the State. We're getting hit but the rains are very localized and short lived.

My six days off started Friday evening and ends this Friday at 04:00am. I've ridden dry every day so far....90 beautiful miles on Sat, two rides between rains on Sunday for a total of 25 miles, Two rides Monday between rains for a total of 50 miles, a 30 miler yesterday and this evening I did a 17 mile round trip to an ice cream stand 4 miles from my home. I have not been rained on yet.

The weather dude said we can blame active Alaskan Volcanic activity combined with a weak El Nino for a cool Summer this year. Yeh, O.K., so we'll save money on air-conditioning.
Old 07-01-09, 08:26 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

The weather dude said we can blame active Alaskan Volcanic activity combined with a weak El Nino for a cool Summer this year. Yeh, O.K., so we'll save money on air-conditioning.
Yea - I feel like we live in the NW rather than NY. As far as AC goes, being a native Virginian, I rarely use the AC here - last year it was 7 days, I think our hottest summer it ran for only 2 weeks. I just hope I don't grow mold.
Old 07-02-09, 06:37 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
right and here in HotLanta it's running 90's for highs so we're very glad to have the AC. sunrise morning rides have been upper 60 low 70 very nice . the commute home is tough when it climbs over 90 with the humigity.

me thinks the weather map just shifted 180 degrees. Seattle is now New England and vice versa while the southeast is more like the southwest. how's the weather in Arizona, New Mexico by the way? No one from that quarter has piped up lately?
Old 07-02-09, 08:09 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather in SoCal has been dry, as expected this time of year. Of course I got my share of rain (and snow!) on the Eastern Sierra Double Century, but totally dry since then. Highs in the 70's, lows in the 60's.

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-02-09, 11:01 AM
Hermes 
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Our rainy season ends in mid April and returns in November. In general, we do not get any rain during that period. This year, it has been a little cooler and I have noticed rain directly east over the Sierras. On the surface this sounds good for our water supply situation but it is usually more complicated. We may be getting too much rain and run off creating other problems.

New York has been under siege by the rain. You need to install a bilge pump for your bottom bracket.
Old 07-02-09, 11:37 AM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two days of rain here on the 'Suncoast' of Florida. I received approximately 8-9 inches in those two days. Thankfully it drains here real fast. Nothing like the 40 days and nights in the Northeast this year. :-)

Now it is going to be nice for the three day weekend. Near 80 at daybreak with 90% humidity, doesn't take long to 'warm up'. :-)

I plan to ride all three days, we will see what the legs say on day three.

Mark
Old 07-02-09, 05:32 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
New York has been under siege by the rain. You need to install a bilge pump for your bottom bracket.
Your right about that - and since I have been riding steel all week I have been wondering what unseen corrosion might be occuring. The bike is completely nickel plated so I would hope that keeps the rot at bay. Other thing is that my helmet and shoes are not drying out between rides, I might come down with trench foot - my shoes smell like some cat urinated in them - I know - TMI
Old 07-02-09, 05:48 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boston has been stuck in the same cloudy/rainy/cold pattern since may. I shows no sign of breaking up. The TV weather people are all pointing to next week being sunny. Still, no really summer like temps. Me, I Love a ride on a hot, humid summer night. (also wonderful for babe watching. Yep, dirty old man subroutines running. )

Today, it was steady rain, with periodic monsoon like downpours and thunderstorms. "Street flooding" is an expression being tossed around a lot. Local reservoirs are as full as I have ever seen them. Is this what seattle is like?

Part of a government experiment in weather control gone horribly awry?
Old 07-02-09, 07:45 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took off early Wednesday for home to beat the storm the radar showed approaching . I missed the downpour but got sprinkled on the entire ride home. It's been a wet spring. At least the grass is green.
Old 07-03-09, 04:07 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10092 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone know what size crankset should be used on a paddle boat?
Old 07-03-09, 04:29 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Does anyone know what size crankset should be used on a paddle boat?
Would that be the latest paddle boat drive drain with the 11 speed cassett?
Old 07-03-09, 07:32 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hyperbole Channel™ has alleged that tomorrow just may be rain-free.

Even better, the ten-day forecast is rain-free.

I sure hope tomorrow is nice. I got Yellow Bike back from the LBS today all nice and repaired from getting hit by that car. I'm thinking we should take a spin with the club tomorrow--especially since I usually work on Saturdays and can never make the ride. It's a nice 47-miler out in horse country. Ice-cream stop in the middle and six or seven miles from home to the start.

It'll be a nice day to get reacquainted with my old friend, and see how we like that nice, new carbon fork.

Oh, and picking up Yellow Bike today was delayed a bit because a friend was getting her new Seven Axiom Steel, and she got to the LBS first. She's doing tomorrow morning's ride too.
Old 07-04-09, 10:27 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it appears the low pressure is moving a little further east today. More rain this morning dashed plans for a long ride, now its in the low 60's with 30mph gusts. Maybe I can do another 30 miles later today. Tomorrow is finally going to be nice - just in time to pack up and go home.
Old 07-04-09, 10:45 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
So it appears the low pressure is moving a little further east today. More rain this morning dashed plans for a long ride, now its in the low 60's with 30mph gusts. Maybe I can do another 30 miles later today. Tomorrow is finally going to be nice - just in time to pack up and go home.
Well then hurry up and get home already....my daughter is drowning waiting on those Albany buses. She could use some dry weather. Call and end to your vacation for the good of the State!
Old 07-04-09, 11:01 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite cool temps and threatening clouds, it remained rain-free for this morning's ride. I got in 56 miles and change, and my fastest time on this route, in winds that had even the 'bent riders complaining.

I love my Yellow Bike!

Now with a belly full of recovery Ovaltine and tunafish sandwiches, I think I feel a nap coming on...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.