Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need New Shorts?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need New Shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need New Shorts?

I need a new pair of cycling shorts (for Road cycling). I've been fighting one small saddle sore for some time and discovered that the stitching for the chamois in that spot is gone. Also, the material is so worn that it's getting real thin and see-thru in a lot of spots. For the last few days, I've been wearing a really old pair of "Campy's" that have a "real" chamois. I don't even feel the sore with the old ones. They are much tighter than the ones I first spoke of, so I'm wondering if the sore may be related to the chamoi "moving" around while I ride more than the lack of stitching in that spot. Do most of your cycling shorts fit pretty tight? When I say tight I mean I have to kinda pull the Old "Campy's" up kinda like my wife use to have to do with her "nylons". I'm glad this is a 50+ forum.....most youngsters wouldn't have a cluse what I mean!!!

Thanx for any help
Old 07-02-09, 06:12 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You describe a pair of shorts that are well beyond their useful life. I remember doing a group night ride and a guy had on shorts that were basically "see through" in a spot. The spot was located in the middle of the riders butt and you didn't want to be riding behind with the bike light illuminating that certain spot.

Good fitting shorts pull up just as you describe. One thing a rider does not want while riding is the shorts to move in place then cause chaffing.
Old 07-02-09, 06:41 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
You describe a pair of shorts that are well beyond their useful life.
+1
I get a number of years out of a pair of shorts but I throw them out when they are dead. Dead is when the stretch is gone or the fabric is thin or the pad is gone. I have one old pair of half thigh length that I consider shot but because the pad still has some life I use them over my tights in the cold weather - it is the only pair I have that has gotten this far and not gone to the land fill. Get some new shorts before someone calls you Fred
Old 07-02-09, 07:26 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ltmark
Do most of your cycling shorts fit pretty tight? When I say tight I mean I have to kinda pull the Old "Campy's" up kinda like my wife use to have to do with her "nylons".
Shorts/bibs shouldn't be quite that tight - just snug.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-02-09, 08:29 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
The shorts are shot. Buy a new pair or a couple of pair.

With respect to the saddle sore. They are caused by many things and each of us is susceptible in different ways. First defense is cleanliness. Clean bike shorts for every ride. Some riders use an antibiotic cream along with a chamois cream. The second defense is an effective chamois cream. There are a number on the market that work. Some more expensive than others. The third defense is a good pair of modern shorts. They have material that is soft and antibacterial.

The saddle sore itself if it is the hard red pimple thing is an infection. They hurt and take some time to go away. I got one awhile ago because I was at a sprint tournament and forgot cream. I thought this is not a lot of riding and should not be a problem. Since I was doing very high cadence races, it was a problem. I was then going on a bicycle vacation and could not afford to have a saddle sore. i went to my dermatologist and he gave me a shot of cortisone in the swelling and it went away in a couple of days and yes the shot hurt like hell. Good luck.
Old 07-02-09, 10:23 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's hard to throw out otherwise good shorts just because they are see-through. I will also be using the tights-over-those-shorts trick during winter. Should be able to get a couple more years out of them.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-03-09, 05:37 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I have one old pair of half thigh length that I consider shot but because the pad still has some life I use them under my tights in the cold weather
Fixed it for you.
Old 07-03-09, 05:47 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Fixed it for you.
Actually not - I do where the shorts OVER the tights. Because the elastic is so gone, if I did it the other way round the would get bunched up underneath.
Old 07-03-09, 07:24 AM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Shorts/bibs shouldn't be quite that tight - just snug.
Depends. I have large thighs with respect to the rest of my body. I suspect that my bibs (Sugoi and Assos) fit somewhat tighter that for most people. I put them on as described above because it feels like a straight pull puts a lot of stress into the material and stitching. Note that a fair bit of compression is good as it supports the muscles and speeds recovery after the ride.
Old 07-03-09, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with the others, new shorts are in order. When purchasing short, I pay special attention to where the seams fall which is determined by the width of the insert. Keep in mind that these shorts are made the way most garments are. That is someone cuts the portions of fabric that will be sewn together. Hence, it is highly likely that there will be slight variations in inset width/where the seams fall. I suspect it may sound a bit strange, but I have a specific measurement I look for when buying shorts. This measurement was arrived at by taking three pair of my favorite shorts, turning them inside out, and measuring the width of the inserts from seam edge to seam edge at the point where I'm prone to have issues with chafing. I now know how wide the insert needs to be to keep me from having problems. When shopping I do take a seamstress measuring tape with me and use it before purchasing. I used to get strange looks from my LBS personnel, but they got used to it quickly. In fact, several employees now do the same when they buy shorts.
Old 07-03-09, 02:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have always paid sensible money for shorts- or bibs- but last year my LBS advised me to go upmarket- and I paid double what I normally do. It is the best investment I have ever made. They are still low on price within the quality clothing- but I can assure you that quality does pay.

How much are the Lussos- Bibs**********?

Spike Milligan
Old 07-03-09, 03:03 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have always paid sensible money for shorts- or bibs- but last year my LBS advised me to go upmarket- and I paid double what I normally do. It is the best investment I have ever made. They are still low on price within the quality clothing- but I can assure you that quality does pay.

How much are the Lussos- Bibs**********?
+1 on the quality.
I've been buying Giordana for the last few years.