Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Jinx?

Old 07-03-09, 10:17 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jinx?

I've gone 1669 miles without a flat tire. Will posting that information here jinx me?

Edit: Note original post date
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Last edited by Mojo Slim; 09-02-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 10:43 PM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup,make sure you have all your repair equipment with you before you leave on your next ride.
Old 07-03-09, 10:45 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had done 1250 until 3 days ago....then I had 3 flats in as many days. Goatheads twice and a radial wire. So it goes.
Old 07-04-09, 04:24 AM
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
I've gone 1669 miles without a flat tire. Will posting that information here jinx me?
succinctly phrased: yes
Old 07-04-09, 04:59 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your doomed - and it will happen repeatidly at the most inopportune moments!
Old 07-04-09, 05:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Not only that but the seals on your pump will have dried out and it's not going work.
Old 07-04-09, 06:19 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Not only that but the seals on your pump will have dried out and it's not going work.
+1, and to add to that, he most likely has forgotten how to fix a flat, his spare tube is dry rotted and all the glue has solidified in his patch kit. He should probably give up cycling now before it's too late and take up fishing.
Old 07-04-09, 06:32 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Dnvr jumps in here, you're screwed. I went for over three years without a flat until he posted a few weeks back about flats. I posted to his thread and promptly suffered four flats on five rides. I was forced to surrender a large offereing to Kenda, the Lord of roundness in my Quest to return to flat free rides. I think the equilibrium has been restored...but one never knows for sure.
Old 07-04-09, 06:42 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
If Dnvr jumps in here, you're screwed. I went for over three years without a flat until he posted a few weeks back about flats. I posted to his thread and promptly suffered four flats on five rides. I was forced to surrender a large offereing to Kenda, the Lord of roundness in my Quest to return to flat free rides. I think the equilibrium has been restored...but one never knows for sure.
Here I am.

But, I do believe, there was a 50+ poster who rather strongly objected to ANY post about flats, and I was roundly chastised - but, of course, not by name, but by implication.

May that fellow have 1,000 flats within the next year.

And, whoever has posted to this thread is also DOOMED.

BTW, went to the garage yesterday and my "new" 1968 Peugeot, onto which I just mounted new tires and tubes HAS A FLAT - while hanging on the wall. Go figure!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-04-09 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-04-09, 06:58 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
My penance from a few weeks back after a series of flats was to sit down with my bucket of punctured tubes and a patch kit and fix tubes until I couldn't see straight any more. My inventory of tubes is now well stocked again and I will never speak ill to the bicycling gods again.
Old 07-04-09, 07:28 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10093 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still laugh at the flat fairy.
Old 07-04-09, 08:01 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK- I'll take it on myself to get overnight flats in the shed.

As I will be watching the TV nonstop for the next 3 weeks I am safe- but the rest of you have been warned.

We are doomed- but Get shares in Michelin and Continental. Tyre and tube sales are going through the roof next week.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-04-09, 10:59 AM
Retro Grouch 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
BTW, went to the garage yesterday and my "new" 1968 Peugeot, onto which I just mounted new tires and tubes HAS A FLAT - while hanging on the wall. Go figure!
If Denver is in the goat head belt I'm not surprised at all. Those little suckers can be anywhere!
Old 07-04-09, 11:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
As I will be watching the TV nonstop for the next 3 weeks I am safe- but the rest of you have been warned.
This time of year that I wish St. Louis was on GMT. That way I could do a morning bike ride and still watch the Tour in real time.
Old 07-26-09, 03:37 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the post I was going to post last night, but never did:

I have now gone 2060 miles without a flat. Bwaaahaahhaahaa! I am invincible! I will never have a flat again!

I got busy and didn't post it.

I had a super-hissy flat today at 2085 miles. There appeared to be a cut in the sidewall. I had just descended one hellacious downhill, down which I had never been. The flat occured less than 1/4 mile off the hill. Whew.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-26-09, 03:42 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the post I was going to post last night, but never did:

I have now gone 2060 miles without a flat. Bwaaahaahhaahaa! I am invincible! I will never have a flat again!

I got busy and didn't post it.

I had a super-hissy flat today at 2085 miles. There appeared to be a cut in the sidewall. I had just descended one hellacious downhill, down which I had never been. The flat occured less than 1/4 mile off the hill. Whew.
Consider this a warning from the bike gods.
Old 07-26-09, 03:54 PM
Retro Grouch 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
I still laugh at the flat fairy.
I haven't had a flat in a long time either, BUT!

On our way home from our breakfast ride this morning I heard a "ping" from my front wheel. I assumed that I had broken a spoke. No such luck. A section had broken off of the hub flange and I have 2 spokes flopping loose. It's a pretty high end hub ($140.00) but it's 10 years old so any warranty has expired. [sigh]. Good news is it's a 40 spoke wheel so Mrs. Grouch and I were able to ride it the last mile and a half home.

I'd rather have had a flat tire.
Old 07-26-09, 07:13 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, but I will. I don't keep an accurate cycling log anymore, but for the five or six years that I did, my longest distance without a flat was just over 100 miles. I had nine on a single century (ran over a thorny branch and didn't get all the little points out, so I had to stop five more times) and six on my 25-mile RT commute (went through a patch of VERY sharp little glass shards). In summer I commute three or four times a week, and it's a good week when I don't have at least one flat (major problem here in the desert is thorns coupled with lots of construction--the trucks drag crap from the desert onto the roads. we have burrs that will go through Mr. Tuffy like he wasn't home.
Old 07-26-09, 07:43 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got 640 miles and have had three flats, two of which were on the road (found the other was a slow leak and it was flat the next day). So either I've had all of YOUR flats (Thanks A LOT!) or you're due BIG TIME! So plan on both tires going flat, and then a third on the way back home.

Always plan on the worst.
Old 07-26-09, 07:59 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 6 flats in 8 days. I don't laugh at the FF; I figure I've done penance and I'll be left alone for a while.

But it's star thistle and goathead season, and unemployed young(er) folks driving around throwing bottles out of windows. I carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges and a frame pump in one of my back pockets, because I've been caught short and I hate calling someone for a ride.
Old 07-26-09, 10:26 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t believe in a jinx. However last year I changed to Armadillo tires because my other tires had two flats in three weeks. I managed to go a bit over 3400 miles on the Armadillos and was thinking about how the tire was looking a bit worn, well ok a lot worn. I would order some Gatorskins and before I could get them I got a flat. A few days later another flat. Got the new tires and decided to mount tires on my backup rims. So I had all new tires and new tubes on my bike and new tires and tubes on my backup rims, and I was feeling pretty smug. Then I got a deal on a new Aksium Race rear wheel and decided to mount my Continental attack folding tire on it. Now I was all set.

However it seems because the folding tire is a bit harder to get on than the Gatorskins it seems as if I pinched the tube and a few hours later the tire was flat. Darn the luck it was my last new tube other than the spare I keep for my bike rides. No problem I thought because like one of the other posters I have a bunch of old tubes with only one patch on them and I quickly changed the offending tire. Then as I was sitting watching TV a few hours later and my wife and I heard what sounded like cork popping on the sun porch. The old patch gave up the ghost and the tire was flat again. I looked at all of my old patches and every one of them looked like they had lifted just a bit on at least one edge. Still I just tossed all the old tubes in the trash and picked up two new tubes on the way home from church. Put a new tube in and decided to take the second tube out of the box to repack it in a plastic bag. As I examined the tire, clearly labeled 700c and Presta valve I discovered it was a 27 with a schrader valve.

What pleases me most however is the knowledge that this is all DnvrFoxs fault.
Old 07-27-09, 01:15 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have surprisingly few flats - but last week I had one while commuting home from work that showed me how lazy I've gotten about flats:

- I did have the stuff with me to fix the flat, but the pump I had thrown the bike was set up for presta valves, and my commuter bike has Schraders. So quick - while you're standing by the side of the road, how exactly do you take the head of your pump apart and flip all the little bits apart so it now works for a Schrader valve? Took me two tries to get it right.

- I decided to patch the bad tube when I got home. I pulled some old patch kits out of my took box and found that the first three little tubes of glue I tried were all dried up. First two patches were so old they didn't work. Finally found some good glue and a good patch, fixed the tube, and then went online and bought a couple of new patch kits.
Old 07-27-09, 05:01 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, so it's you guys' fault! I haven't had a flat in nearly two years, probably close to 15000 miles.

Yesterday I had a flat on a local MUP I've ridden on hundreds of times.

I've been carrying the same CO2 cartridges around for the last two years. This is the first time I ever used it, and it mostly went pretty well. At least after I realized the cartridge was reverse-threaded and I need to UNSCREW the damn thing

Let's hope it's another two years till the next one, if I can keep you folks from JINXING me!
Old 07-27-09, 05:40 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
What pleases me most however is the knowledge that this is all DnvrFoxs fault.
Can I also take credit (and get a percentage of) everything good that happens in your life?
Old 07-27-09, 08:08 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Can I also take credit (and get a percentage of) everything good that happens in your life?
I don't know? Is that the forum rule? I just assumed you were the one getting credit for inventing goatheads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.