Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pedal problems

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pedal problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 10:24 PM
Fran & Nanette

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal problems

My wife and I just switched from SPD pedals to Speedplay for her and Look for me (to go with the new Northwave Vertigo Carbon road shoes). The increased surface area should relieve my Morton's Toe and increase power transfer for both of us, as we understand it.

After getting the bikes re-set up for the change in pedal reach etc. we took a 6 mile trip around Rte 66 to give them a test run this evening and encountered a few problems. The Look pedals are somewhat difficult to get into since they hang almost upside down, Not too terrible, though I did have to pedal uphill one-legged until I could get my right foot clipped in - attempts to apply any pressure before getting into the clip resulted in a foot slip. What's the secret?

Of more concern is my wife's trouble just getting clipped into the Speedplays! We started out with her on the trainer practicing getting clipped in and out. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for tension, the instructions just say to push down. Sometimes jumping up and down on the pedal doesn't seem to be enough pressure. She managed to feel like she was getting the hang of it before we took our little trip, but it took her about a minute to get clipped in before we pulled away from our house and when we had to stop for an adjustment, there was another struggle to get re-hooked in.

Is there a secret to getting into the Speedplay pedals? Do they break in over time? She is getting really frustrated! These were touted as the best for her knees and even if it is true, she could tear a ligament just trying to clip in!

Thanks,
Fran
Old 07-06-09, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
In terms of your pedals, the secret is practice. It takes a few rides, but eventually flipping the pedal over to click in does become second nature. As far as your wife's Speedplays, if the cleat are tightened down too much they are very hard, almost impossible, to easily clip in and out. Did you install the cleats, and if so, the directions are spot on in terms of how tight you should make the screws. Back them off just a bit, put her back on the trainer and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-06-09, 09:20 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by McQz
The Look pedals are somewhat difficult to get into since they hang almost upside down, Not too terrible, though I did have to pedal uphill one-legged until I could get my right foot clipped in - attempts to apply any pressure before getting into the clip resulted in a foot slip. What's the secret?

Thanks,
Fran
Clipping into Look pedals becomes easy once you learn how to do it. While the crank arm is up in about the 2 o'clock position (right foot - 10 o'clock for left), take advantage of the way the pedal hangs and put the front of the cleat into the front catch of the pedal. Keeping pressure on the front of the cleat, let the rear of the cleat fall into place as the crank rotates forward. By the time your foot has reached the bottom of the circle, you should be clipped in. Then repeat with the other foot.
Old 07-06-09, 06:00 PM
Fran & Nanette

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
N took a ride this morning and felt that it was even harder to get clipped in! Based on the advice to "practice,practice,practice" and the same insight from the Speedplay site FAQs, she will be riding the trainer for a while, practicing. She needs to log some spin time anyway.
Thanks,
Fran
Old 07-06-09, 07:55 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by McQz
Is there a secret to getting into the Speedplay pedals? Do they break in over time? She is getting really frustrated! These were touted as the best for her knees and even if it is true, she could tear a ligament just trying to clip in!
If the cleet has any (and I mean any) crap in it it is difficult to snap in, I had one time where I walked on across a muddy spot and ended up having to take my shoe off and clean out the cleat really well before they snapped in again. Also - adding some white lightning lube to the pedal and cleat helps alot. I have been using speed plays for years and I will have some trouble from time to time - but when I do it is mostly due to the above two issues.
Old 07-06-09, 08:21 PM

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine for about a week; my first clipless pedals. It's taking me a while to get used to them. I get it right about half the time but it's a little easier each ride.