Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A 50+ Bicycling Neighborhood - almost!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 10:30 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

When we moved in to our current neighborhood in 2001, we were the only bicyclists.

Now, across the street:

3 houses down - a fellow there does team racing - they moved from down the street on the other side, which they moved to about 3 years ago. He is not yet 50, but is in his 40's.

2 houses down - Walt and Carolyn (in their mid 60's and retired) started bicycling 2 years ago 1.5 miles. Now they are up to 7 mile rides.

Directly across the street - the fellow (late 50's and semi-retired) who hates exercise has taken a few rides lately. His formerly rotund son is now heavily into mountain biking - with his girl friend and her father, and is looking at $5,000 mtn bikes. He gets his dad out on the bicycle, and, just the other day dad took a ride by himself!

Next door on the west. Yesterday, he took his mtn bike to a place I had suggested and had a BALL, and now is going out again today. He is about 52

Next door on the east - no luck there, but the guy runs all the time, and lifts weights - he just turned 50

I don't know if I had anything to do with some of this, but I like to think I did!

Anyone else got a bicycling neighborhood?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-27-09 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-27-09, 11:15 AM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have one, but I cheat because I live in an over-55 settlement (Del Webb). EVERYONE here who rides is over 55. My next door neighbor just moved in, rides around the neighborhood. Two doors up are a tandem couple who often ride with us. They also have matching Ti Litespeeds. A friend from my former town lives up the street. Bought his first road bike last summer, with my help. Our bike club has 160 members.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 06-28-09, 10:45 AM

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a lot in my neighborhood.I am 64 my wife is 60 one neighbor is 92 and yes still rides a two wheeler.My best friend here is 73 and does five to six miles around here.Quite a few more.from 5 years up.
I do up to 60 miles on a good day.My wife will make 15 miles some times.
Old 06-28-09, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a 55 plus neighborhood and am the only only one who does anything more strenuous than walking. They look at me strangely when I ride out in my lycra, helmet, etc. Some over 55 communities are "older" than others it seems.
Old 06-28-09, 04:58 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The youn couple (DINKS under 30) ride from time to time. I see a few of my other neighboors out from time to time - nothing serious. There are serious riders (including my riding buddy) within a few blocks. It's not what I would call a cycling community, but I am not alone either.
Old 06-28-09, 08:28 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

When we moved in to our current neighborhood in 2001, we were the only bicyclists.

Now, across the street:

3 houses down - a fellow there does team racing - they moved from down the street on the other side, which they moved to about 3 years ago. He is not yet 50, but is in his 40's.

2 houses down - Walt and Carolyn (in their mid 60's and retired) started bicycling 2 years ago 1.5 miles. Now they are up to 7 mile rides.

Directly across the street - the fellow (late 50's and semi-retired) who hates exercise has taken a few rides lately. His formerly rotund son is now heavily into mountain biking - with his girl friend and her father, and is looking at $5,000 mtn bikes. He gets his dad out on the bicycle, and, just the other day dad took a ride by himself!

Next door on the west. Yesterday, he took his mtn bike to a place I had suggested and had a BALL, and now is going out again today. He is about 52

Next door on the east - no luck there, but the guy runs all the time, and lifts weights - he just turned 50

I don't know if I had anything to do with some of this, but I like to think I did!

Anyone else got a bicycling neighborhood?
Well, there go the home values in your neighborhood........................
Old 06-28-09, 08:40 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by JanMM
Well, there go the home values in your neighborhood........................

Old 07-11-09, 07:25 PM
Banned.

And, to top it all off, the wife of the neighbor across the street just today did a 4 mile ride, and her husband - the non-exerciser - did 8 miles!!