Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Got the dreaded call from the Emergency Room

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 06:18 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Don't you just hate those??

My brother is 12 years younger than me and also rides. He was out with a group of 5 others this morning and it started to rain. He took a right turn at a very moderate speed (about 15 mph) and radius but still went down-hitting his right hip very hard. There wasn't any gravel or sand on the road and he did not hit the striping. We haven't had any rain in a while so he figures the asphalt was just slick from accumulated stuff.

He had broken the same hip about 5 years ago when he was hit by a car while out riding. He still sports 2-3 screws in the femur and has a slight limp from that episode.

He got back on the bike after crashing this morning and rode a good while until the hip began to seize up. He said it swelled as large as a soccer ball and decided it best to just stop riding. He is single and I live about 40 minutes away-so he called a cycling friend to come out and pick him up and take him to the ER. Needless to say he was very concerned he had rebroken the hip.

Fortunately he supposedly just has a very sore and very, very bruised hip. Tomorrow will most likely be even worse. He's going to have his Orthopedic Surgeon review the xrays tomorrow just to make sure there wasn't any other damage.

On the plus side, the xrays did not show any signs of deterioration of the ball of the femur which he has continued to be worried about (loss of blood flow like Floyd Landis' injury).

He had also just put a brand new tire on the rear wheel. It was a different brand than he normally uses and thinks the new tire just didn't have much stickiness to it-felt more like a hard plastic......

I'm guessing he'll go back to the brand of tires he's always used before??
Old 07-05-09, 06:24 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope it all works out OK.
Old 07-05-09, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always take it easy on new tires for the first few rides regarless of brand, whether its my bike or motorcycle. They always seem a little slick initially.
Old 07-05-09, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best wishes for your brother....and a good recovery. Now I'm wondering what tire he was riding.
Old 07-05-09, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Man, you are having a lot of bad luck over there. Good luck and a speedy recovery to your bother. How's the other rider doing, that got hit by the truck. I hope OK.
Old 07-05-09, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope your brother will have a speedy recovery.
Old 07-05-09, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, those calls can give you a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Hope your brother weathers the recovery quickly, but you've got to tell him there are better ways to get his xrays to see how his hip is doing!
Old 07-05-09, 10:30 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not knowing the details I can't speak to any of this except to say that a bruise is better than a break, and I hope his surgeon gives him the all-clear to ride when the swellling subsides.

No matter, this sucks, and I, too, dread those calls. Glad he escaped with so little damage.
Old 07-05-09, 10:46 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best wishes for a complete recovery for your brother. I know what he's concerned about in regard to his hip blood circulaton. I broke my hip in 2000 and they opted to bolt and pin it together but warned me that it might not get enough blood flow for the hip ball to live. The surgeon said if it was healthy after 2 years, chances were greatly improved that it would be alright....that was 9 years ago and my leg/hip feels great. You say that your brother broke his hip 5 years ago and his x-rays show no signs of dying bone mass....sounds like he has good blood flow through the break, that's great! and should lessen his anxiety and worry about the bone dying. It's also wonderful to hear that he never let his first incident make him give up, that he continues to go out and enjoy life. You can miss so much if you sit home and feel sorry for yourself.
Old 07-06-09, 05:58 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by George
How's the other rider doing, that got hit by the truck. I hope OK.
He's still very much on the mend-still unable to walk without using a walker. Getting back on his bike is his motivation to push through the ongoing therapies to help him recover. We're all really pulling for him but his progress seems to have really slowed down. It's certainly not because he is not making the supreme effort though.
Old 07-06-09, 06:52 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
He's still very much on the mend-still unable to walk without using a walker. Getting back on his bike is his motivation to push through the ongoing therapies to help him recover. We're all really pulling for him but his progress seems to have really slowed down. It's certainly not because he is not making the supreme effort though.
PT is like any other form of excercise, you will plateau from time to time. If your friend has a good working relationship with his therapist, he may be able to work with them on a change in the program that will get him past the plateau sooner. Sometiems all it takes is just some different ways of excerising the same area.
Old 07-06-09, 11:27 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
JPPE,

Very sorry to hear about your brother's crash. We hope for the best and a fast recovery.
Old 07-11-09, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Sorry to hear of your brother's crash and injuries - best wishes to him for a good recovery.

I often find that new tires, whether the bike or car feel a bit "greasy" for lack of a better term for a while.

Jeff, still fat