Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Missing Folks??? Different emphasis??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-17-09, 05:47 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

We are missing some long-time 50+ posters.

Digital Gee??
ctreedude??
SKT showed up for a bit recently
Catweazle

And many others??

The 50+ forum is approaching our 5 year anniversary - it was started in August, 2004, amidst a fair amount of grumbling and mumbling, but it got off the ground.

As I have watched the 50+ forum over the last several years, it is interesting to see how the forum evolves from time to time, and how folks come and go.

Sometimes humorous, filled with clever writing.

Sometimes serious, lots of more "intense" posts.

Sometimes scintillating.

And, sometimes, a bit boring.

It would be interesting to know why folks come and leave, how long they stay, what they find lacking. What they find interesting. Of course this varies markedly from person to person. I wonder if there are any trends?

Some folks pop in and out, gone forever.

Some folks lurk, never posting.

We are all getting older, every single day. For some of us (me!!) that getting older has brought some differences in their bicycling intersts and goals.

Not that we should change anything. I think it is great that changes occur - makes it more varied and interesting.

IMHO, a forum is the sum of its participants, no more, no less - WOW, that was deep!!

Any thoughts on the topic??

Why did you start?

Why do you stay?

Why would you leave?

What interests you? What doesn't?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-17-09 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-17-09, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I've never been a prolific poster, but found out about BF while I was still very interested in cycling. I was very much into mtn.biking back east (rode mostly in SE Pa.), and when I moved, found fewer trails, and a different type of trail than what I care for. Also, our favorite trail closed, due to economic reasons. We bought road bikes, and gave that a try, and while I enjoy it, never became overly enthusiastic. So, you could say my interest in bikes has tapered off severely as of late. Still ride occasionally, but don't miss it if I don't ride. Lately, I've gotten back into an old hobby, playing guitar, and enjoying it as much, if not more, than when I played years ago. Still ride for exercise, when time will allow, but the enthusiasm for biking just isn't here lately. I think BF is a great forum, and the people on here are the best! For those who are more actively involved in cycling and the forum, keep up the good work!!
Old 07-17-09, 06:52 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm suddenly really concerned for DG.

San Diego menaced by jumbo squid.
Old 07-17-09, 06:57 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by tsl

Jumbo squid?

Sounds like a Japanese delicacy!
Old 07-17-09, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
This forum pprovides an interesting perspective to me that I like. While I am getting older (as we all are), I find my interests haven't changed over the years in cycling. I like road bikes, do an occassional tri, have a FG that I use mostly for fun rides and variety, and a mountain bike mostly for winter when the roads are gritty.
Old 07-17-09, 07:08 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
This forum pprovides an interesting perspective to me that I like. While I am getting older (as we all are), I find my interests haven't changed over the years in cycling. I like road bikes, do an occassional tri, have a FG that I use mostly for fun rides and variety, and a mountain bike mostly for winter when the roads are gritty.
Thanks for your thoughts and insights.

As I approach 70 (4 months away), I DO find some significant changes in my bicycling interests and activity.
Old 07-17-09, 07:14 AM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DF -

Several months ago, when I was getting back into riding after many years off of a bike, I was searching for a bicycle forum where I could participate, learn about the new bicycling technologies, and hopefully be able to contribute a little eventually. I stumbled across Bicycle Forums. After visiting several of the forums, I was completely turned off by all the flaming and bickering. I was about to delete the bookmark when I saw the 50+ Forum. My immediate thought was this was going to be another forum like the others. WOW - to my surprise, this is a forum of mature adults.

Change can be good but change for the sake of change is not always good. For myself, I hope the basic premise behind the 50+ Forum never changes -

It is a great pleasure to feel that I can participate in a group of people with similar interests.

It is great to feel that I can ask pretty much any question about bicycling and not get flamed for not already knowing the answer to the question.

Not knowing some people, at first, it seemed that they were just grumpy old people but after reading farther I began to realize that they just had a great sense of humor. Even between the lines of their witticisms they were often answering the question and helping. There is a lot of humor here.

I have on a couple occasions asked questions that common sense told me had been hashed over repeatedly but not once did I ever get flamed. Other posters have done the same and not been flamed.

It's interesting to see how the regulars here handle a truly "grumpy old man" who's posts are not really contributing to anything but are just trying to be antagonistic. They are just ignored and if they persist, someone tells them to go away. GREAT!!

I think people keep hanging around here for pretty much the same reason I do, the regulars are truly knowledgeable people who want to help. The comments are helpful, interesting, fun, and often funny. I hope one day I am able to contribute and help others as I have been helped.

Some of the off topic posts are tremendous. At our age, most of us have been exposed to so much in our life experiences that just about everything has meaning to all of us.

Enough rambling - this is my favorite site. I check it several times daily. I hope the type of people it attracts never changes. Thanks to all who contribute and participate.
Old 07-17-09, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 21 year old son and I were talking about web forums in general last night and I brought up this forum.

I appreciate being here because there is so little of the typical ego-posting and flaming found on other forums. Differences in opinion are generally respected and arguments are kept on point for the most part. I think it reflects the age of the participants. Nothing much to prove out of this group. Refreshing.
Old 07-17-09, 07:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I subscribe to the Bicycle Mechanics, Electronics, 50+, Framebuilders, LD, Road Cycling, Training & Nutrition subforums.

There are issues raised on the 50+ forum that are unique and that will never appear in the other forums. Having said that, it is not my "favorite".

My favorite is Training and Nutrition followed by Bicycle Mechanics.

At the age of 60 I find myself riding more now than ever in my life. This is partly because of a change in careers 11 years ago when I became a teacher after a first career as an electrical engineer.

I subscribe to the road cycling forum for the humor - intended or not - and also for the tidbits of good technical information that sometimes percolates through the egotism.

I subscribe to the LD forum because those folks simply inspire me. My longest distances are warm ups for those folks.

Last edited by rodrigaj; 07-17-09 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-17-09, 08:00 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I first got into riding about 4 years ago I became obsessed and spent alot of time here and on my bike. However, I soon realized that riding a lot keeps you away from other things you also like. In my case hiking/nature photography, kayaking on occasion, guitar playing. As it goes there is only so much time in a day. So while I still like riding (it's great exercise) and my wife and I try to get out a couple times a week, I have balanced my interests a little more. Also, this year the weather in New England has been terrible for riding, when you do finally get a good day on a weekend, you have to catch up on yard work! So, with all that said, I will still probably put in about 500 miles this summer, but not stress over it if I don't.

I still check this forum frequently but usually don't have too much to contribute as I am now just a casual rider. Also, it's much less interesting without the Diego's around.
Old 07-17-09, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why did you start?
I bought a bike (actually, recumbent trike) when my arthritis in my lower back put a stop to my 5-mile walks. Then I figured that if I was going to be riding, it would be helpful to at least try to look like I knew what I was doing - a Google search brought me to BFN, and I started going through the various forums. The Clydesdale/Athena forum's OK, but 50+ was the group that seemed more like "home" to me.

Why do you stay?
Mostly because of the somewhat off-topic posts. I get most of my recumbent related information, etc. from bentrideronline.com, but this group's where I find out useful (and usually humorously presented!) information on medical issues (like, say, colonoscopies - although I'd already been there/done that). For example, it's helpful to find out that many blood pressure medications work by slowing your heart, and to find out about things like A-fib without learning through bitter experience. And pie - can't ever forget the pie!

Why would you leave?
I don't know - probably it would be a gradual drifting off/lost interest type of thing, where all of a sudden I'd realize that I hadn't checked BFN for quite a while and didn't really miss it.

What interests you? What doesn't?
Descriptions of trails in areas I might visit someday are one thing I find interesting. Recommendations on various types of accessories are another topic I tend to read regularly.
N+1 type posts aren't particularly interesting to me; I don't mind them, but I generally don't read beyond the first page of posts, if I don't skip them completely.

- Bob
Old 07-17-09, 09:47 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

It struck me the other day we haven't seen him for a while.

Solveg is another.
Old 07-17-09, 09:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a daily lurker who posts once in a while. I like the 50+ forum for the same reason others have noted, mainly that it is a friendly, flame-free place, filled with people my age. I don't post often mainly because most of the time I don't feel like I have anything interesting to add. I don't ride daily, and when I do, there isn't much that seems worthy of a story. Mostly what I'd be able to say is how far I went, and where it fits into my tri-training, and whether that training is going well. I'm not sure anyone really cares about that but me.

I do like being able to ask about trails in other parts of the country--that is helpful. I do enjoy reading other people's reports, especially when they involve pie (or any type of food), but, as I said, I don't have much to offer in response. (I guess I could talk about my post-workout nutrition strategies, but that doesn't have the cache of pie.)

I'm a regular participant on another masters forum, one for runners. I like it for the same reason--friendly, non-confrontational, and filled with people my age with whom I have things in common. We've been together as a group for a long time on that forum, and we have daily posts where we check-in with each other. We post our daily training plans, how the training is or is not progressing, what our kids are doing, graduation photos, what we plan to have for dinner--just about anything that is occurring in our lives that day or week is fair game for the daily post. Over the years we've shared a lot of highs and lows, deaths and births, illness, professional and personal struggles and successes, and through it all, we've also motivated each other to stay fit and healthy.

All of this has created a real bond between us. It's been a rough year for me because of some elder-care issues, and sometimes I wouldn't post, simply because I though the topic too depressing to share. People from that forum would send me emails when this would happen just to check on me and offer me encouragement during the roughest patches, as well as condolences during a period of grieving.

It is a group that is made up of equal parts men and women, liberals and conservatives, and wide-ranging geographic diversity. We are college professors, accountants, computer progammers, teachers, fitness trainers, and stay-at-home moms. The commonalities are: we are all over 40 (the runners definition of "masters"), share a love of fitness (about half are runners, and half are runners-turned-triathletes), and post what is going on in our lives more or less daily, running and non-running alike. These posts are usually short--generally just a few sentences--and people can respond to them as they like. So it isn't really difficult or time-consuming unless you get involved in a "back and forth" banter.

Would any of that work on this forum? Would people be interested in a "daily?" Or would it feel too much like non-cycling clutter?

Last edited by PrairieDog; 07-17-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-17-09, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi DnvrFox Two quick points When I started my [did you ride today] I felt obligated to respond. Maybe folks should do like wise with there interesting forums.//Also now that im rideing every day ,knowing what is going on with rides, fun and fund raisers,in my case [I cant race] or I wouldnt feel comfortable not telling my issues in race situations.//my point I wish there was a activity board dedicated to at least 4 areas of the country and probably 8 would make more sence.for posting rides./Kenneth
Old 07-17-09, 10:03 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
It struck me the other day we haven't seen him for a while.

Solveg is another.
DG was seen lately with his girlfriend working on a new photoessay about the life of an ichthyologist. It is possible that he hasn't noticed the uproar he has been causing.
Old 07-17-09, 12:40 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Jumbo squid?

Sounds like a Japanese delicacy!

Carnivorous! Who would have thunk?
Old 07-17-09, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I foresee a new fishing industry around California...
Old 07-17-09, 02:08 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Keep the noise down around here and get off my lawn.
Old 07-17-09, 02:57 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What He Said

Originally Posted by AdrianL
DF -

Several months ago, when I was getting back into riding after many years off of a bike, I was searching for a bicycle forum where I could participate, learn about the new bicycling technologies, and hopefully be able to contribute a little eventually. I stumbled across Bicycle Forums. After visiting several of the forums, I was completely turned off by all the flaming and bickering. I was about to delete the bookmark when I saw the 50+ Forum. My immediate thought was this was going to be another forum like the others. WOW - to my surprise, this is a forum of mature adults.

Change can be good but change for the sake of change is not always good. For myself, I hope the basic premise behind the 50+ Forum never changes -

It is a great pleasure to feel that I can participate in a group of people with similar interests.

It is great to feel that I can ask pretty much any question about bicycling and not get flamed for not already knowing the answer to the question.

Not knowing some people, at first, it seemed that they were just grumpy old people but after reading farther I began to realize that they just had a great sense of humor. Even between the lines of their witticisms they were often answering the question and helping. There is a lot of humor here.

I have on a couple occasions asked questions that common sense told me had been hashed over repeatedly but not once did I ever get flamed. Other posters have done the same and not been flamed.

It's interesting to see how the regulars here handle a truly "grumpy old man" who's posts are not really contributing to anything but are just trying to be antagonistic. They are just ignored and if they persist, someone tells them to go away. GREAT!!

I think people keep hanging around here for pretty much the same reason I do, the regulars are truly knowledgeable people who want to help. The comments are helpful, interesting, fun, and often funny. I hope one day I am able to contribute and help others as I have been helped.

Some of the off topic posts are tremendous. At our age, most of us have been exposed to so much in our life experiences that just about everything has meaning to all of us.

Enough rambling - this is my favorite site. I check it several times daily. I hope the type of people it attracts never changes. Thanks to all who contribute and participate.

What AdrianL said and then some. I hope it never ends.
Old 07-17-09, 03:58 PM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lurking here for a while mostly because I don't quite qualify to post in this forum yet.(one more year,then I qualify to post.)
Having said that I generally post on the commuting, utility, electric bike,winter cycling, general cyclling discussion, and living car free.(I am doing car lite). I did post once in foo.
I feel that for the most part bike forums as a whole has less flaming and disrespect than a lot of other forums/chat rooms that I have seen online.
Old 07-17-09, 04:01 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dnvr and others...my first paragraph is a repeat of Prariedog(#13 post) I stick around lurking and reading cause there is some good stuff on here...including a pie recipieeee once in a while. But mostly cause I don't want to miss out on the good bike information.. I am still working so do not have a lot of time to linger here and read a lot but I do like to catch the posts that loook catching to me. I spend some time on the Alt bike and recumbent sections too. and once in a while Foo, but I am no fool.
Thanks for asking the question...sometimes I tooo wonder about all you on here but I do not have enough time to read all and get to know you, besides I am not very perceptive to catch what you are llike by what you write. I will probably be around for a while..........................Peace
Old 07-17-09, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PrairieDog
I'm a regular participant on another masters forum, one for runners. I like it for the same reason--friendly, non-confrontational, and filled with people my age with whom I have things in common.
Would you share the URL to this forum. I could sure use some good info to help me with my running.
Old 07-17-09, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Keep the noise down around here and get off my lawn.
Sounds like that Clint Eastwood character, Walter Kowalski in Grand Torino.
Old 07-17-09, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found this forum by accident. I had started riding my mountain bike on the road and was doing a Google seach about biking and found a thread. I read it, liked it, read some more threads and the next thing you know I was doing my cycling searches on the bike forum.
I had never posted on a forum before this one. Now, I don't really post a lot, I just like to read the other posts and learn and share in some of the experiences. I have learned a great deal about biking on this forum and feel like I am among friends here. I also own more bikes than I ever thought I would.
I would love to have been able to meet and ride in Colorado but it didn't work out for me.
Old 07-17-09, 05:48 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by kenkayak
Hi DnvrFox Two quick points When I started my [did you ride today] I felt obligated to respond. Maybe folks should do like wise with there interesting forums.//Also now that im rideing every day ,knowing what is going on with rides, fun and fund raisers,in my case [I cant race] or I wouldnt feel comfortable not telling my issues in race situations.//my point I wish there was a activity board dedicated to at least 4 areas of the country and probably 8 would make more sence.for posting rides./Kenneth

But there ARE regional forums. Check out the main BFN page and find yours. I post in mine at times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.