Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Short, 52, woman, kind-of newbie

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I am 5' 1" tall, 52 years old, out of shape, overweight (still well under 200 lb tho) and looking for a bicycle. I did read some extensive posts on here about how to choose a bicycle, but there wasn't any mention of bikes for those of us who are pretty short. Is it okay, since I am 50+, to ask for help in considering brands here? I hope so! If not, please feel free to move the post or just PM me with a better suggestion or just point me to where this has already been addressed. Thank you.

All that said, I live in the city of Baltimore, MD (USA). My bike requirements are:

. Terrain would be mostly pavement, perhaps occasionally a smooth dirt path, some hilly streets but not in the extreme.
. Bike not too heavy; I'd say under 35 lb.
. Prefer a step-through style, but I am pretty agile and can handle just a lower bar
. Would like to be able to ride up hills, some of which are fairly steep, but not San Francisco/Seattle steep.
. Need bike to be comfortable, probably a straightforward comfort bike. I need to sit upright and the seat needs to be comfortable.
. Budget is $500 or less, definitely less if possible!

I should add that I am out of shape and looking for a practical, fun, and healthy way to get healthier. My experience level is the usual for a newb, rode when I was a LOT younger and haven't ridden steadily since about age 22. The last bike I rode, for about two blocks' length, was my nephew's BMX-type bike. Not the bike for me, although it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. So, thank you in advance, and I hope you're not entirely tired of this kind of request.
Old 04-26-09, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Hi,
if you can find a good, used Mtn bike in your size, you could put smooth tires on it. You would want what is called a hardtail. A hardtail might have a shock upfront, but won't have one in the rear.

Finding one in your size might take a while.

Call around to the bike shops in your area, and ask what they have in your size.
With some luck, you might find a model leftover from last year that isn't entry level. For example...my bike shop has a leftover in your size for a few hundred less than it was new. My wife rode the same model and size for years, it's a nice bike. With luck, you may find something similar.
Old 04-26-09, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of new bikes that would do what you want. I would suggest a hybrid, rather than a comfort bike if you have moderately hilly streets. Hybrids are just as comfortable, but more efficient and versatile. A hybrid will allow you to start getting into shape, but it will be a better bike in the long run as you ride it more.

Sizing shouldn't be a problem, because you're not looking at a racing bike kind of thing. Just go into any bike shop that has a lot of bikes and try some on. There's no point in me naming any specific brands or models, because there really isn't that much difference between any of them in that price range.

I think it's great that you want to do this, though. On my daily rides around the bike path loops where I live, I often see groups of women about your age, some on road bikes, some on hybrids. The heavier mountain bikes and comfort bike riders would find it takes a lot more effort to keep up even on comfortable, pleasure rides, especially if there are hill or even just wind. That's no fun.
Old 04-26-09, 05:13 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome aboard. It seems we are moving into a kind of golden age of just the kind of bike you are looking for--bikes not built on a racing model but for people who want to ride around town, including hills with some comfort and style.

If you have a Performance Bike shop in your area, you can quickly see quite a number of possibilities up close and personal that match your criteria. But you may also want to go further afield. To my mind, the Bianchi Milano is the ultimate in city bike style and function, just great looking and nice to ride.

https://www.bianchiusa.com/603.html

Here are a few other options (among many):

https://www.electrabike.com/

https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.cfm

https://www.abikestore.com/city-bikes.htm
Old 04-26-09, 11:33 AM

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for much for your replies, this helps a lot. I will make a trip to the LBS in my work neighborhood. Thank you for your support in this endeavor, too!
Old 04-26-09, 02:58 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure of the prices right now but a Giant Cypress seems like it would fit the bill. My wife has one, does the type of riding you describe, and is about your height, check one out.
Old 04-26-09, 05:26 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'3" and have similar problems with bikes fitting I have two Trek WSD (women specific design) bikes and I love them. Other brands have women specific bikes. I would suggest taking a look at them as they fit the smaller woman much better. Good luck with your hunt for the bike

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-26-09, 07:04 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'd like to add an idea: look for a used ladies' Raleigh or other English 3-speed. There's a lot of them around, and in real good condition should go for $200 to $300. A woman here, Erasergirl, restores them and wants to sell them as "mombikes." I haven't seen here for a while, however.

Breezer would be my main recommendation, but they'll cost over $500 easy.

But being a man I can't really speak to fit as well as the women here.
Old 04-26-09, 09:02 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take your time in selecting your bike, ask lots of questions at the LBS then pose the same questions here on BF and get many opinions. Don't let the LBS railroad you into something you will not like in a month. Do lots and lots and lots (did I just repeat myself) of test rides. Just In case I didn't say do lots of test rides, let me say it now. DO LOTS OF TEST RIDES. Congratulations on your decision what ever it is.

Jim
Old 04-26-09, 10:56 PM

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. I am hoping that specified dealers at the LBS can order what I need, should it not be in stock. Is that usually the case? I'm so short, I doubt very much that I'll be happy with a bike off the rack.

I am hopefully checking out at the very least some of the Giant women's models this week; these bikes seem to come with decent components, from what I've read, for the price ($350-$500). I'm hoping they'll not be particularly heavy, as I will have two sets of about five steps to take the bike up and down. I really am trying to do my homework before visiting the LBS--I agree, it's best to be able to test, test, test before you buy, and go in armed with as much useful info as possible.

I've been looking at used bikes, too; unfortunately, due to my very short stature, I can't be as versatile as an average-height woman, but I'll keep looking anyway. I like the idea of recycling and saving money as well.

With regard to 3-speed bikes, I think those days might be behind me. I will have hills to climb and am not sure three speeds will cover this. Some of the hills are long and gradual, others are a block or two of steep incline. I intend to take the flatter way whenever possible at this stage of my fitness (or extreme lack of!) but will need to conquer hills if I want the bike to be useful beyond recreation.

Having so many choices is wonderful, but sure can be overwhelming. Thank goodness for forums like this one!
Old 04-27-09, 03:16 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just how short are you? Maybe this will do.

( just joking around )

I hope you can find and be happy with your new bike! Sounds like you are doing your homework and a very motivitated and smart lady. Happy riding
Old 04-27-09, 04:59 AM

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32

Just how short are you? Maybe this will do.

( just joking around )

I hope you can find and be happy with your new bike! Sounds like you are doing your homework and a very motivitated and smart lady. Happy riding
Hey, if I thought it would do the trick and wasn't terribly expensive . . . Actually, I'm 5' 1", right below that 5'3" cut-off when you look at a lot of those frame size charts. Whatcha gonna do, though. But I've seen some XS frames online, so there has to be something for me.
Old 04-27-09, 05:35 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
What is your biking inseam height. (The one you get when standing up against a wall with a book or some other right angle block pressed firmly up into the body). This, along with a 61" overall height will give us a guessing point to start on for bike size. There are some companies that make frames down to a 47. I have seen one in use by a 4'10" tall woman.
Old 04-27-09, 05:41 AM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Berta
I I am out of shape and looking for a practical, fun, and healthy way to get healthier. My experience level is the usual for a newb, rode when I was a LOT younger and haven't ridden steadily since about age 22. The last bike I rode, for about two blocks' length, was my nephew's BMX-type bike. Not the bike for me, although it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. So, thank you in advance, and I hope you're not entirely tired of this kind of request.
You've gotten a lot of good advice on bike selection already. If it hasn't been said, I really suggest test-riding a lot of bikes (give 'em a good spin, at least a mile or two, more than just around the parking lot) and find what feels comfortbale for you. You have a challenge as far as your height and finding the right bike is going to (obviously) be very important in aiding your committment to sticking w/it.

Best to you in your endeavor, I applaud your efforts!

Colleen
Old 04-27-09, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A couple of years we bought our daughter a bike for college that sounds like what you're after. It was a TREK, a Navigator, I think. It's very light (aluminum frame), has a triple chainring for going up hills, it's a step-through, has very upright seating, and a very cushiony saddle. They had different versions of the same bike at the time. The difference was the quality of the components. I'd recommend going for good-quality components because they'll work better and last longer, but that might put a bike out of your price range.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-09, 11:15 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a hit-or-miss option. Bike Cooperatives don't have every size in every model, but the do have re-conditioned, or even better they teach you to recondition the bike yourself. That makes it a 2 for 1deal, bike and mechanics course. The first one that came up in the Baltimore area is
https://www.velocipedebikeproject.org/
Old 04-27-09, 09:23 PM

Bikes: 2009 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Berta,

Welcome to the club of 50+ looking for a bike and being slightly overwhelmed with manufacturers and their models. I am currently looking for a bike for me and my wife. When I last had a bike there was only Schwinn and Huffy. If it was a road bike it had 10 speeds, otherwise, it was only a "pedal as fast as you can" no speed. Anyway, I'm glad you're interested in the sport as we are and, as I've been reading the previous post on this web site, we can learn from they're experience. Happy pedaling to you.

Coach50
Old 04-28-09, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Not sure of the prices right now but a Giant Cypress seems like it would fit the bill. My wife has one, does the type of riding you describe, and is about your height, check one out.
Another vote for the Giant Cypress.
Old 04-28-09, 07:24 AM
Just Out for a Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
If it hasn't been said, I really suggest test-riding a lot of bikes (give 'em a good spin, at least a mile or two, more than just around the parking lot) and find what feels comfortbale for you. You have a challenge as far as your height and finding the right bike is going to (obviously) be very important in aiding your committment to sticking w/it.
I found that I needed to visit many different bike shops. You may also find that they do not have bikes on the floor that fit our size. I am 5'3", so actually test riding bikes may be a bit difficult. One shop I visited, had me sit on the kind of bike that I wanted, in the smallest frame and told me how good of a fit it was. It was obviously to big and I felt very stretched out. So remember that if they have it on the floor they do want to sell it. However, a WSD bike might just be your ticket or the mixtel bike that others have mentioned.

-Sue
Old 04-28-09, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might even consider a folding bike if you are having trouble finding a small enough frame. Bikes that have the pedals forward, Electra Townies, Trek Pure, Giant Suede, to name a few, make it easier to touch the ground while still seated. There are a lot of possibilities.
Old 04-28-09, 07:39 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Berta
I am 5' 1" tall, 52 years old, out of shape, overweight (still well under 200 lb tho) and looking for a bicycle. I did read some extensive posts on here about how to choose a bicycle, but there wasn't any mention of bikes for those of us who are pretty short. Is it okay, since I am 50+, to ask for help in considering brands here? I hope so! If not, please feel free to move the post or just PM me with a better suggestion or just point me to where this has already been addressed. Thank you.

All that said, I live in the city of Baltimore, MD (USA). My bike requirements are:

. Terrain would be mostly pavement, perhaps occasionally a smooth dirt path, some hilly streets but not in the extreme.
. Bike not too heavy; I'd say under 35 lb.
. Prefer a step-through style, but I am pretty agile and can handle just a lower bar
. Would like to be able to ride up hills, some of which are fairly steep, but not San Francisco/Seattle steep.
. Need bike to be comfortable, probably a straightforward comfort bike. I need to sit upright and the seat needs to be comfortable.
. Budget is $500 or less, definitely less if possible!

I should add that I am out of shape and looking for a practical, fun, and healthy way to get healthier. My experience level is the usual for a newb, rode when I was a LOT younger and haven't ridden steadily since about age 22. The last bike I rode, for about two blocks' length, was my nephew's BMX-type bike. Not the bike for me, although it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. So, thank you in advance, and I hope you're not entirely tired of this kind of request.
Back in 2005 my wife was in your present state so we bought "FUJI Comfort Bikes", (Monterey 3.0) and she had the "step thru" "S" frame and really enjoyed it! To be honest I didn't think she'd ride it long but she suprized me. This bike was $450 and at the time the TOP of the FUJI Comfort bikes line. There are MANY "S" framed comfort bikes by all the Major Mfg'ers (Specialized, Raleigh, FUJI, Jamis, Trek, etc.) that would give you a "GREAT" starting out bicycle experiance. I know a lot of the "hardcores" here will do a "POO-POO" statement on the "Comfort Bike" but in your case I think you'd be happy.

My wife now rides a Mountain Bike (Jamis Trail-X 3.0) so we can do some easy "Singletrack trail" riding but I don't think she'd have kept the "will to ride" if we'd bought her the MTB style bike as her first "Return to Riding" machine, JMHO, YMMV

Old 04-28-09, 11:04 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
...I know a lot of the "hardcores" here will do a "POO-POO" statement on the "Comfort Bike" ...
You must have us confused with the Road Biking forum! Lots of us skinny tire ridin' "hardcore" (loosely defined in my case) 50+ers re-entered biking with a comfort bike. Or "gateway drug" as I like to call them. Mine was a Trek 7200 hybrid w/suspension fork & seatpost.

If it gets you back to pedaling on two wheels, it's all good.
Old 04-28-09, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to do a test ride on the hills, not the parking lot. If not possible, get a bike with a triple-ring granny gear (28) in front and a 32-34T largest rear cog. This is common, e.g. Cypress.

Find out about tire widths your wheels will accommodate. The usual stock 38 is good all around, but a narrower 32 semi-slick is faster, and will handle a bit of smooth dirt/gravel. A 28 is even faster on pavement. (Tires are cheap, and you can interchange them in 10 minutes for different planned rides.)

Being able to keep up with other riders comfortably will encourage more riding. If you really get into it, then you'll probably get the bug to acquire either a road bike or MTB (or both!) before you know it.
Old 04-28-09, 02:59 PM

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, what motivators you all are! Thanks for that.

At this stage, I'm considering many options. I appreciate your recommendations a LOT here, especially pertaining to my size, and how to make the bike faster/climb hills better etc. Just excellent advice here!

I really like the Giant Cypress, Trek Navigator, Trek 7100 and a few others I've bumped into online so far, and will definitely consider a folding bike, should my options be poor for finding a proper frame. It seems a lot of the Giant and Trek models come in small sizes (marked 13.5 or 14, XS), so I'm optimistic. Standing erect, my inseam from crotch to bottom of running shoe (this is probably the wrong way to measure for a bike) is around 27.5. Yep, a true shor-tee, but I'm evenly proportioned. Can't wait to get to the bike shop, hopefully some time this week!

Edited to add: Good luck with your own bike quests, Coach. Let us know what you end up with and I'll do the same.
Old 04-28-09, 05:22 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Wow, you calculate out for a size 47cm traditional road bike, possibly a bit bigger but probably not for a returning cyclist. For other styles of bikes, this means that you are looking for a virtual top tube (where a level top tube would be if there were one) of about 47cm length.

The good news is that there are bikes available in this size. For example, if you are looking for a road bike, the Trek 1.2 WSD is available in a 43 with a 48cm effective top tube. To get to this size, the bike is outfitted with 650c wheels instead of 700c. If it turns out that your actual bike fit inseam is larger than you specified (a possibility) then the next size up is a 47 with a 49cm top tube and 700c wheels. Most of the rest of the Trek line including such relaxed fit bikes as the Naviogator, 7100, Pure etc tend to be a little larger and might not actually be comfortable even though some of them come in step through frame designs. It's not the standover height that you need worry about but how long the bike will be saddle to handlebar.

It is one of the strange things in the bicycle world, that true road bikes are actually available in sizes for smaller women even though the step through and cruiser bikes aren't. It seems to be true because of the availability of 650c wheels this happens.

I don't know if road bikes are what you are interested in but the Trek 1.2 provides another option for a test ride that you can check out for feel. Given that there are Trek dealers all over, it should be slightly easier to find one in the smaller size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.