Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tour of Washington: Done!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 09:26 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I haven't posted much lately. I've been too busy riding!
My wife and I just got back to California from our Pacific Northwest cycling vacation.
Bracketed by our overnights in Ashland Oregon, and the nice rides in the nearby hills, we went on a six-day Cycle Washington trip run by Adventure Cycling.

We joined 60 others in a ride fest camping trip. I won't bore you with all the details, but basically we rode every day, usually around 6o miles, but 98 on one day. We lived in our tents that were transported by Adventure Cycling. We ate like kings. The ride was catered by a hard working genius woman who's been doing this for years. Every night was a delight.

The riding was grand, and the scenery was.... well, if it was in a movie you'd have said "Overdone. Not realistic." Really. It was amazing.

I wore a bunch of my cool jerseys, but the 50 Forum one got by far the most interest and comment. Maybe we'll get some new visitors!

Headed to Washington Pass

Tricia (MyLilPony) and I, on the beach at Deception Pass State Park, where we camped.

Tricia, on her birthday, right as she hits her birthday mileage!

One day, when we only had a few miles to go, we stopped at a winery. I was quite a hit for carrying two bottles back to camp in my jersey pockets.
Old 07-24-09, 09:41 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Looks like a great trip - good to hear that Adventure Cycling does such a great job.

The Adventure Cycling Washington trip looks great - other great trips in this area include Bike Across Washington (BAW) which sells out in January every year, and Cycle Oregon.

Thanks for posting the pics; looks like you had fun.
Old 07-24-09, 10:02 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I just found a map from their magazine, complete with an elevation profile.
Don't let those little elevation squiggles fool you, the up and down add up to a ton of climbing.

Last edited by cccorlew; 07-25-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-25-09, 06:12 AM

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome!!!!

Your pictures make me want to plan something like that for next year.
Old 07-25-09, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wonderful! 60 people huh? Sounds like quite a party. I'm jealous. I'm an old Washingtonian and those are my old stomping grounds. I've ridden most of those roads, but never supported with catered meals. Wow! Maybe next year.

Incidentally, my 50+ jersey also gets the most comments of any jersey I wear. My 21-year-old daughter asked, "Why would you want to advertise that you're over 50?" She doesn't get it.

I think my reply was something like, "Because I'm proud of the fact that I'm out here riding long-mileage days at age 58, and many of my contemporaries are sitting on the couch watching QVC, or riding electric shopping carts at the grocery store like those people in Wall-E."

I think she said something like, "Oh."

Old 07-25-09, 10:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures Curtis. What a wonderful vacation. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-09, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Don't let those little elevation squiggles fool you, the up and down add up to a ton of climbing.
+1

Days 7 and 8 have lots of rollers...
Old 07-25-09, 12:39 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a really great trip - maybe someday.