Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike computer - which one?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-05-09, 07:20 PM

Bikes: 09 Specialized Cross Trail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm getting very tired of doing the bike route rehash with my truck and I'm mildly curious as to how fast I'm going etc etc. Any advice on what computer to Buy?
Old 08-05-09, 07:23 PM
Fran & Nanette

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've had good success with CatEye models. We gave them away, however, when we made our retirement upgrade which included Garmin Edge 705s for each of us. They track practically anything that might be of interest. (Come to think of it, they don't track the weather for you!)
Old 08-05-09, 07:24 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by edster63
So I'm getting very tired of doing the bike route rehash with my truck and I'm mildly curious as to how fast I'm going etc etc. Any advice on what computer to Buy?
Go to Nashbar.com or Performancebike.com and see what they have.

I just installed a computer on my inherited Peugeot UO8

It was one I got free with a package of lights I bought.

I don't spend much on computers - but then I am not into stats.

I like to know how fast I am going and how far.

I am absolutely bored by average speed, as I like to take my time getting places and really see the sights and smell the roses.

I have one of the VERY expensive Garmin 305's, but have never hooked it up on the bike.
Old 08-05-09, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Go to Nashbar.com or Performancebike.com and see what they have.

I just installed a computer on my inherited Peugeot UO8

It was one I got free with a package of lights I bought.

I don't spend much on computers - but then I am not into stats.

I like to know how fast I am going and how far.

I am absolutely bored by average speed, as I like to take my time getting places and really see the sights and smell the roses.

I have one of the VERY expensive Garmin 305's, but have never hooked it up on the bike.
That sounds like me, just want distance and speed pretty much. And I'm a big smell the roses guy myself. Thanks!
Old 08-05-09, 07:40 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your choices are quite a few. At a minimum get one with speed, mileage and average speed - most if not all do this. Wireless is nice but for just speed I would not pay the extra $$. If you want cadence (and I would recommend it if you are new to road riding and want to get better) then I would go wireless (I have a VDO). On one of my bikes I just use a Garmin Forerunner GPS.

Nashbar has a nice low end unit for $9.99 however if your are looking for a brand name, I have always like cateye but my VDO works great as well.

BTW - if you buy from nashbar or performance check out the coupon forum, they always have a 10% or more coupon listed.
Old 08-05-09, 07:43 PM
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
My suggestion is to keep it simple and cheap to start, that would be basic speed, time, trip distance and odometer functions. Cateye has good, inexpensive products. I have used a Cateye Mity 8 for several years. I have also had good luck with Sigma's.

I just added a Garmin 305. Steep learning curve and, at this point, TMI! But the ride storing/downloading capability is good. I will likely find it more useful as I learn to better use it. That being said, the Cateye is still mounted and used!!
Old 08-05-09, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any comments on the VDO C2 DS digital/wireless computer? On sale for $29.99 at performance bike? Do most of you have a wireless set up?
Old 08-05-09, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have a Cateye (never used) I will send you for nothing if you want it. pm me.
Old 08-05-09, 08:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I have a Cateye (never used) I will send you for nothing if you want it. pm me.
pm sent.....Thanks!
Old 08-06-09, 03:29 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the thread ends. Your a good guy jdon

I have a Cateye Velo 8 and it does what I need well. Speed Average Distance Time.

I however have been intrested in cadence and GPS and heart so Garim has been getting looked at for some time now.
Old 08-06-09, 04:49 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by galyons
my suggestion is to keep it simple and cheap to start, that would be basic speed, time, trip distance and odometer functions. Cateye has good, inexpensive products. I have used a cateye mity 8 for several years. I have also had good luck with sigma's.

I just added a garmin 305. Steep learning curve and, at this point, tmi! But the ride storing/downloading capability is good. I will likely find it more useful as i learn to better use it. That being said, the cateye is still mounted and used!!
agreed +1
Old 08-06-09, 08:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone - yes, jdon is a good guy
Old 08-06-09, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I look for the features I want.
  • Display - I want the numbers to be big and easy to read without my glasses. I like the display to show both the current speed and the tripmeter. On older computers I had to press a button to switch back and forth.
  • I like wired computers. They're simple, cheaper, and there's one less battery. I see no reason to go wireless.
  • Besides current speed and a tripmeter, I want an odometer, average speed, maximum speed, and trip duration. A clock is okay but I always wear my watch so I rarely use the clock on my computer.
I don't feel a need to know my cadence.

I've also had good luck with Cateye.
Old 08-06-09, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I would stay away from cheap wireless computers as they pretty much all have issues (like showing your speed as 75MPH sitting outside a grocery store). I have a cheap Schwinn branded one from Walmart on my commuter ($10) and it works fine. I went with a Cateye Strada w/ cadence for my road bike ($35 at Performance) and it is great. The Cateye is small, mounts to the stem or handlebars (stem mounting looks much cleaner IMHO) and the speed and cadence pickups are on one wire going to the chainstay.
Old 08-06-09, 10:22 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
+1 for Cateye. I don't use wireless. To me, a bike just doesn't look right without a wire wrapping around the front brake cable housing.
Old 08-06-09, 11:31 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Never had much success with Cateye so gotta put in a plug for Vetta.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-07-09, 04:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the VDO MC1.0. NOT the MC1.0+ which is wireless and unreliable. I have used various wireless computers and found the ones I have tried to be unreliable, awkward to use, without required features or otherwise unsatifactory for various reasons.

I also use the Garmin 305 on most bikes (in addition to cyclometers) and it works great.
Old 08-07-09, 10:19 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by galyons
Cateye has good, inexpensive products. I have used a Cateye Mity 8 for several years. I have also had good luck with Sigma's.
Ditto on the Mity 8--going into my third season with it, I've been very satisfied. And Sigma computers are highly regarded around here, too.
Old 08-07-09, 11:06 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I use a Garmin 705. As a noobie rider, I find a lot of the features very helpful. Cadence, speed, avg speed. distance hr, hr zones, preset alerts for drinks and ascents.

Total wireless and very easy to move between bikes.

I haven't yet used route planning, straw man or the gps function much yet.

But I will.

I've used Garmin on motorcycles, boats, cars and international travel. Best around.
Old 08-08-09, 08:31 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by edster63
Any comments on the VDO C2 DS digital/wireless computer? On sale for $29.99 at performance bike? Do most of you have a wireless set up?
I've used one of those for about a year now. No problems. First used it on a long wheelbase recumbent with a looong way from sensor to receiver. No problem with that.
Old 08-08-09, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get wired cycle computer, much accurate in taking measurements compared to the wireless. Wireless has a tendency to pick up electronic signal interference from all sources such as cell phones, overhead power lines, wireless computer signal. My wireless gives me false reading with my max speed always at 76MPH. Before the bike computer, I used my Garmin and was reading 100 MPH max speed. So no more wireless for me.
Old 08-08-09, 11:35 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have used bike computers since they first came out in the 80's. Used Avocets for the first few years until I found they were not waterproof, and they had an annoying habit of resetting completely when tossed in the miscellaneous compartment of a knapsack with other metal things...

I have tried Cateyes, but I don't like them for two reasons: 1. They are far too easy to reset, and 2) the mode change button is usually on the wrong side if you're righthanded.

I have found Sigmas to be the best for reliability. They take a tiny bit of extra effort to reset, they seem to be OK mixed in the miscellaneous compartment with metal objects, they are impervious to water. The only problem is that they redesigned the attachment in 2002/3. I'm still using pre-2002 Sigmas. The older wireless Sigmas don't work next to a powerful LED headlight, but no problems with the wired units. I've got a newer wireless Sigma on my track bike (wireless is the perfect application for track bikes, where there's no brake cable to wrap the wire around, no supermarkets you're going to ride past, and no headlights to mount, and you sometimes have to change to aero bars for timed events. You just mount a second holder onto the aero bars; saves a lot of time removing the holder from one bar and mounting it onto another.

The only problem with most bike computers (at least with most Sigmas) is that they're not ideal for doing long randonneur-type rides. The clock only goes to 9 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds and then completely resets, so you lose distance/day and average speed, stuff you're likely to need when trying to complete any brevet of over 300 km. The Sigma ROX has enough capacity for the full 90 hours of Paris-Brest-Paris, but it's a $200 wireless unit that records EVERYTHING (heartrate, elevation, etc.).

L.
Old 08-08-09, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Ditto on the Mity 8--going into my third season with it, I've been very satisfied. And Sigma computers are highly regarded around here, too.
Was away from cycling for a bunch of years and recently got back in the saddle. Put a new battery in my old unit and it still works great. Cateye Mity 2.
Old 08-08-09, 04:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike computers

i got rid of all my computers and now just use a garmin forerunner. no calibration nessesary. use the same one one all my bikes, and when i go walking or running'
Old 08-08-09, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerjack1610
i got rid of all my computers and now just use a garmin forerunner. no calibration nessesary. use the same one one all my bikes, and when i go walking or running'
+1

Best of all, I end up leaving at home most of the time which improves the ride.