Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'm losing it (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/571800-im-losing.html)

SaiKaiTai 08-08-09 02:49 PM

I'm losing it

Interesting times. As I mentioned in another thread, I got some new Conti 4000's (not 4000s') for my Giant, making the switch from 28c to 25c... nice. I've been trying them everywhere to get a handle on the differences if any between my old and new tires. Of course, I've taken 'em up and -maybe more importantly- down my two favorite local climbs. They descend great and I've climbed the first mile of one of them 20 seconds faster than ever before. Don't know if that's all down to the tires, though, but they're keepers.

Unfortunately, another thing I've noticed is that I'm fighting harder and harder for air on some of these climbs. Legs feel OK, HR is within bounds... I just can't get enough oxygen in me. I've been going to the allergist for 13 years for immunization and my asthma and I was due for a re-eval. The results were disheartening. My main problem in the small airways and, at best -once, a couple of years ago- I got up to 80% on a PFT. That was after a case of sudden onset pneumonia that they were treating pretty aggressively. They had me on Advair 250/50 -a steroid inhaler- twice a day, later dropping me to 100/50. The last time, a year ago, I fell to 71%... this time: 54%. Well, that explains a lot. So, I'm back on 250/50 to see if it helps. I have some other theories to explain the drop and I expect a lot of improvement when I get retested in 4 months. But, if you want to know suffering in the hills, do them in immediate oxygen debt.

I'll just have to suffer and "stop & go" my way up the hills in the meantime but I have to wonder, if I can do what I'm doing with 54% capacity, how much better will I start to climb if I can get back up to 80%?
The allergist thinks she can do better than that, too. We'll see.

But the big moral is, you have no excuse.
Get out and do it.
Push!
If I don't let 54% lung capacity stop me, what's stopping you?

Still, how demorallizing... :(

I *do* love the tires, though :D

stapfam 08-08-09 03:00 PM

Practice will improve the lungs. Not only the lungs- the legs and the body in general. As many of us have found out.

I did not realise you were that far down on capacity- but in your own words----

But the big moral is, you have no excuse.
Get out and do it.
Push!
If I don't let 54% lung capacity stop me, what's stopping you?

I'd hate to take a ride with you when you do improve- but I am afraid it is going to take some hard work and pain on your part. Just make certain that the pain is not by pushing TOO hard.

And on the tyres--- I ride 23's and a lot of people say that there is no difference between 23's and 25's. All I know is that the 26's I have are a lot more sluggish than my usual 23's. Different make of tyre of course and different compound- but it will be interesting to have you change to 23's sometime and let us know if there is any difference.

jdon 08-08-09 03:17 PM

SaiKaiTai, I was in the same boat due to scarring from athsma, pneumonia and asbestos exposure as a kid. When I started treatment I was at 58% and through hard work and appropriate meds am at 82%. It took 2 years though. Good luck.

SaiKaiTai 08-08-09 10:03 PM

No question, I've seen many, many cardio rewards from the 3-1/2 years I've put in to date.
It just amazes me.

But asthma is just not something that "goes away" with continued conditioning. I wish.

But jdon's words give me much hope. One day, stapfam, I am gonna kick your a** ;)

I know that, with some behavior modifications, it'll be less than 2 years before I improve.
What the meds bring beyond that will be a joy.

Solomander 08-09-09 08:56 AM

It may also be worth exploring whether or not Pulmonary rehab would help you. Sometimes doing some rehab can significantly improve pulmonary function.

Joel

Road Fan 08-09-09 06:38 PM

Stay hopeful, it sounds like you have a good doc, a real go-getter.

cyclinfool 08-09-09 06:48 PM

I seems you could blow the doors of most guys our age with one lung tied behind your back :D

Digital Gee 08-09-09 06:53 PM

SKT, I thought you lost it a long time ago! :lol:

SaiKaiTai 08-09-09 07:24 PM

Oh, Gary, Gary, Gary...
Not discounting your observation, at all, but... really ;)

Gotta say, my doctor -how many should you have at 56? I have 3- is very aggessive with these things.
She flat out will not accept my current limitations... I was 80% once and I will be again.
Or better. She says.
Then, I'd gone my entire life without even knowing I had asthma until she diagnosed it 10 years ago.
Once she did, it all made sense. I'll let you know how I'm doing in a month's time.

big john 08-09-09 07:29 PM

I met a guy on a ride one time and he was dropping me on every hill but he'd wait at the top. I was tired and he looked fit, so big deal. He then told me he had lost a lung to cancer and he was kicking my ass with one lung.
SKT, I have asthma, too, but it has been bothering me a lot less lately. I'm not sure why, but the less I use that damned inhaler, the better I feel.

The Smokester 08-10-09 10:02 AM

SKT, Glad to see you are still riding.

wobblyoldgeezer 08-10-09 10:18 AM

Doesn't sound to me like you're losing it

Sounds to me like you're recognising it and beating it

'Courage' as the French shout whilst watching good cyclists
'Forza' as the Italians
'Yowza' as my good friends DooDooWaa from Sonora (know them?) will insist