Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New Red Spokes! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/572870-new-red-spokes.html)

jppe 08-11-09 12:02 PM

New Red Spokes!

3 Attachment(s)
Below are a few pictures of the new Fulcrum Racing Zero's I've put on the Pinarello Prince. I had to swap some tires around and buy a new Campy lockring cassette socket-but would have needed that at some point anyway. It just delayed making the change a few days.

The red spokes caught my eye initially. I did a 40 mile ride last night and they seem extremely well balanced. As I suspected the aluminum spokes give a little stiffer/harsher ride feel but I had my tire pressure cranked up pretty high. I'll drop it down 5-10 pounds and I bet the ride feel will improve a bit.

I had a choice of either red or black rims and felt the red rims might be a little too much especially with red tires.......

I don't know that they are any quicker than the Easton wheels I was already riding but there was just something about those red spokes!!

Hermes 08-11-09 01:03 PM

You, Armstrong, Contador and Valverde should get together for a tricked out bike competition.:D

You may find a slightly narrower tire like the Continental Attacks faster. I have the Attacks on a set of track wheels - very nice. Once the tire is wider than the rim, you lose some of the aero benefit of the rim. I use 20mm tubies on my HED tri-spoke for the road and track.

BluesDawg 08-11-09 01:28 PM

Any Dawg fan knows you can't go wrong with red and black. :D

Is your Fulcrum rear wheel as obnoxiously loud as the ones I've heard? It's like they put an amplifier in the hubs. :eek:

Allegheny Jet 08-11-09 01:43 PM

Thou shall not covet thy neighbors bike, thou shall not covet thy....., thou shall.....

OK, I don't want your bike!:innocent:

Now jppe, you are committing a sin for having a bag tucked under the saddle. It's sacrilege I tell you, what do you think jersey pockets are for?, repent before you loose everything!

stapfam 08-11-09 02:01 PM

Didn't think I'd say it to jppe------Flip the stem.

Those bars look high to me- but that comes with being 6" shorter than you I suppose:rolleyes:

Not often that I look at other bikes but That Prince does look like something I could enjoy

jppe 08-11-09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 9464294)
I use 20mm tubies on my HED tri-spoke for the road and track.

As you know I have the smaller Bontrager TT tire on my tri-spoke. So far I have not seen any wear issues but will keep an eye out for that.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 9464455)
Is your Fulcrum rear wheel as obnoxiously loud as the ones I've heard? It's like they put an amplifier in the hubs. :eek:

Mine is the quietest wheel set I have. And comes in at 1425 grams and needs no rim tape!

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 9464545)
Now jppe, you are committing a sin for having a bag tucked under the saddle. It's sacrilege I tell you, what do you think jersey pockets are for?, repent before you loose everything!

I have to allow myself something functional!

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 9464696)
Didn't think I'd say it to jppe------Flip the stem.

Those bars look high to me- but that comes with being 6" shorter than you I suppose:rolleyes:

Not often that I look at other bikes but That Prince does look like something I could enjoy

It does look a little high but there is still 3"-4" of drop between the saddle and the bars. I'm still fiddling with the stuff but I'm much more around comfort with this bike.

Wildwood 08-12-09 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 9464804)
.....but I'm much more around comfort with this bike.

You may be about comfort on the bike, but after you've ridden the bike dressed out like this, I'd be interested in knowing if other fit cyclists see it as a challenge to 'chase you down and drop you'.

John E 08-12-09 01:43 PM

Any mechanical engineering design decision comprises one or more tradeoffs. Reduced spoke count wheels are popular in racing because they generate a bit less air turbulence than their traditional counterparts, but one sacrifices durability and repairability. Perhaps I should paint my 36 stainless spokes per wheel red. :)

clancy98 08-12-09 02:51 PM

awesome ride but enough with the red. there's already like 7 different shades

Niked 08-15-09 03:43 PM

Snazzy!

doctor j 08-15-09 08:54 PM

The burning question is, "were the batteries included?":D

billydonn 08-16-09 01:10 AM

Admirable restraint in not getting the red rims! :)

jimzman 08-19-09 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have to say ; like red too 2008 Tarmac Expert---- Better Red than dead:thumb: