Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   She actually understands !!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/574330-she-actually-understands.html)

cranky old dude 08-15-09 02:29 AM

She actually understands !!!

A couple days ago I took a 56 mile after work ride through a couple of the Canal Towns in the area and then headed North and came home along the lake shore. As I was approaching my house I rode past the neighbor lady and we exchanged pleasantries. I happened to mention that there seemed to be a Street Fair taking place in Brockport (a town about 20 miles away). When she asked me how I knew I mentioned that I had just ridden through there about an hour ago.

She was aghast. How could one ever ride a bike so far? Why would one ever ride a bike so far? I just mumbled some polite goodbyes and continued on home and to bed as I had worked all night and it was approaching 10:00 am.

Last night the same neighbor came by to borrow our phone. She needed to report that the cable was out of service and with her phone plan being linked to the cable service, she had no phone. She then sat and visited for a spell. After some time the cable came back on and while booting things up in the other room I could overhear her talking with my wife. She was expressing her suprise that I would ride my bike to Brockport. My wonderful wife responded with the following. "That's just a short ride for him. He's ridden four 100 mile rides already this summer!" When the neighbor asked why on earth do I do such a crazy thing as ride my bike those insane distances my wife replied, "The exercise does him good and it helps him to unwind and de-stress." There is no doubt in my mind that my bride is 'With the Program'.

Sixty Fiver 08-15-09 02:39 AM

I have one of those... being a car free commuter and utilitarian cyclist she understands how important riding is to me and how sometimes I need to lay down some serious distance even though she is not able to do this with me.

Most people don't get it.

Floyd 08-15-09 09:35 AM

Yeh, I am not sure the people in the parish I serve understand my long rides...however, most of what i do is for exercize and they can get that part. I got a good report from the doc the other day so was a great incentive to keep the pedals moving. (and eating less, eg. watching the diet)

Wildwood 08-15-09 11:40 AM

If every American over the age of 50 could ride just 50 miles per week the "lifestyle diseases" could be lessened and many of the expenses of our nation's healthcare burden reduced.

But you're right, most people just don't get it.

Mojo Slim 08-15-09 05:22 PM

After a grueling 100 mile ride in 100 degree heat Monday, I came home sweating, limping and looking very bedraggled. The lovely and understanding Mrs. Slim said, "Serves you right".

CbadRider 08-15-09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim (Post 9493150)
After a grueling 100 mile ride in 100 degree heat Monday, I came home sweating, limping and looking very bedraggled. The lovely and understanding Mrs. Slim said, "Serves you right".

Tell her you'll ride your bike to visit her when she goes to the old age home. :D

billydonn 08-15-09 07:05 PM

Health... check
Weight loss... check
Stress reduction... yeah okay, that too
Riding is also just fun... yes?

cranky old dude 08-15-09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 9493607)
Riding is also just fun... yes?

Shhhhhhh. Don't be telling everyone about that secret. Do you want the whole world out there riding their bicycles and clogging up all the good routes?

Cycling is hard work everyone. It's brutal, gruesome, dangerous and just really, really hard!! Don't be tempted, just don't do it. :D

doctor j 08-15-09 08:31 PM

The lovely and charming Mrs. doctor j is beginning to "get it", but she says my bike tan makes me look like an Oreo cookie.

asabike 08-15-09 09:20 PM

I have Hepatitis C with cirrhosis,most days just getting up is hard. A few months ago I quit doing all the drugs "they" were giving me and started riding my bike more. I found that I was feeling better, I went from 10 miles a day to 18. Now I do 30 miles twice a week and 18 a day 3 more days. My wife not only supports my ridding, but yells at me if I don't ride at least 5 days a week. I grow more in love every day.:love:;)

one_beatnik 08-15-09 09:23 PM

my bike tan makes me look like an Oreo cookie
So what would it look like if you were African/American?!? That's a great line, though! I gotta remember that one.

Oh, wait I'm over 50. I'm not supposed to remember things!

It is amazing how few a number of miles amazes people. My commute is 12 miles and people just cannot imagine! Then again, the national average miles per YEAR is 16 in the US!