Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Livestrong (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/574603-livestrong.html)

semsd 08-15-09 09:01 PM

Thanks Livestrong

Some eight months after a horseback riding accident in August 08 I found myself back at nearly 270 lbs. I had fractured my scapula and broken five ribs, and been unable to get much exercise. Anyway in April I decided to get back on my bike and at lest commute the four miles to work maybe three times a week. Somehow I stumbled upon Livestrong.com and in May started tracking my food intake and exercise. Being accountable is working very well for me, also its free. My wife has joined me and even some friends. Anyway check it out and try it maybe it will also be a benefit to you.
You're welcome to look me up SEMSD
PS. As of today I’m down to 233 lbs and I"m riding about 125+/- miles a week.

Thanks Lance!

DnvrFox 08-15-09 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by semsd (Post 9494210)
Some eight months after a horseback riding accident in August 08 I found myself back at nearly 270 lbs. I had fractured my scapula and broken five ribs, and been unable to get much exercise. Anyway in April I decided to get back on my bike and at lest commute the four miles to work maybe three times a week. Somehow I stumbled upon Livestrong.com and in May started tracking my food intake and exercise. Being accountable is working very well for me, also its free. My wife has joined me and even some friends. Anyway check it out and try it maybe it will also be a benefit to you.
You're welcome to look me up SEMSD
PS. As of today I’m down to 233 lbs and I"m riding about 125+/- miles a week.

Thanks Lance!

That is GREAT NEWS!! Congratulations

semsd 08-15-09 10:15 PM

I didn't post so I could get kudos. I just wanted other people to know about Livestrong.com
But Thanks anyway.

stapfam 08-16-09 12:01 AM

Even with Livestrong.com- you must have had something to do with the weight loss.

Well done.

cyclinfool 08-16-09 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by semsd (Post 9494633)
I didn't post so I could get kudos. I just wanted other people to know about Livestrong.com
But Thanks anyway.

We'll you gonna get them anyway so sit back and let us pat you on the back a bit.
Thanks for bringing this sit up - I knew vaguely about Livestrong but never gave it a closer look, I do have one of his biking Jerseys though - looks very sharp.

bobbycorno 08-16-09 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by semsd (Post 9494633)
But Thanks anyway.

There's nothing wrong with providing inspiration too. Well done!

SP
Bend, OR

DnvrFox 08-16-09 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by semsd;
just wanted other people to know about Livestrong.com
But Thanks anyway.

You are in the 50+ forum

We do Kudos a lot here!

semsd 08-16-09 09:29 AM

This is what I"m trying to show my fellow 50+ers
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...ary/who/SEMSD/
I think it very cool. :-)

RoMad 08-16-09 05:26 PM

Thanks for sharing a great site and a great job by you too.

Kurt Erlenbach 08-16-09 08:50 PM

The value and inspiration provided by Lance Armstrong and by LiveStrong is immeasureable.

Kurt Erlenbach 08-16-09 09:00 PM

I posted before actually looking at LiveStrong.com, which is different than LiveStrong.org, which is the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I've been involved with LiveStrong.org for some time, but I'd never looked at LiveStrong.com. It seems to be quite a service.

Tex_Arcana 08-17-09 09:00 AM

Okay new convert here.

I thought I had started to make lots of positive changes last year when I turned 50. I even rode my first century on a singlespeed bike last April. Then on July 30th I woke up and felt strange. My entire left side from the top of my head to my toes was numb with that pins and needles tingling sensation. Having seen that PSA with the guy walking around with an arrow sticking in his chest I got myself to the V.A. Hospital. After they released me 5 days later the prognosis was I had a TIA, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

I think Livestrong. com will be a good tool to help me keep better track of my "better lifestyle". Thanks for the recomendation. I was looking for something like this.

By the way I noticed you had a group......

BluesDawg 08-17-09 10:41 AM

Good work :thumb: (whether you want to hear it or not).

I didn't know that Livestrong had grown so much beyond the original cancer support role to include promoting a generally healthy lifestyle. Of course, the two do go hand in hand. Healthy people get cancer less frequently and survive it better than unhealthy people.

semsd 08-17-09 12:14 PM

Yep for me it's helping a lot. If any of you sign up tag me as one of your friends. It isn't exactly facebook but what-the-hay (search 4 me "semsd" )

gtragitt 08-18-09 07:43 PM

I use the site to track my exercise and food iintake. It works quite well, but you need a regular internet connection.