Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Helmets

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycle Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 02:41 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle Helmets

Is there any reason that no one will use a 1/2 motorcycle helmet the price is better and I would think you have a little better head gear too.I use one for years when I was riding my motorcycle.But now days I ride bicycle gas price is way out of control now days and its not going to get any better either.Seems to me that a 1/2 helmet for motorcycle would work good to save our heads when we take a bad fall.Or is it that we don't go fast enough to keep our heads cool off with this kind of helmet.Or maybe we would look like a DORK with them on huh lol.

Last edited by KDC1956; 08-19-09 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 03:36 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Weight and airflow for cooling are probably the biggest reasons.
Old 08-19-09, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
and the dork factor is pretty high, too.
Old 08-19-09, 06:56 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took out my cross bike on Sunday and rode around our back yard and in the woods behind our property. After falling 6 times and getting hit in the head with low branches the full helmet for motorcycles and might have been a good selection.
Old 08-19-09, 07:44 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I use what I believe to be the best head protection for the job at hand, a Giro Xen. It provides better coverage than most road bicycling helmets, it lacks a neck-twisting aerodynamic taper, it fits my head extremely well, and it is designed to absorb and to spread impact energy under typical bicycling conditions.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-19-09, 08:07 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
How cheap are these 1/2 helmets? I would think the dork factor would be as high as the ventilation would be low. You can get a perfectly good bicycle helmet for under $30.
Old 08-20-09, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My mom bought me one of the first bicycle helmets manufactured - the white Bell from the 1970's. She meant well, but I never wore it. Why? The thing weighed a ton! Years later I picked up a more "modern" helmet and discovered it weighed next to nothing. Now that was something I would wear!

Lightness is a crucial factor in deciding on a bike helmet - especially if you're on a road bike. Ventilation is also key. Your head can get awfully hot on a hard ride on a hot day. Those ventilation holes are necessary.

Comfort is also big. I have my helmet on my head for a lot of hours, day after day. I want something comfortable.

The prices of bike helmets can get pretty exorbitant, but I'm willing to spend some money for something good. When it's going to be on my head that much, I want to love it.
Old 08-20-09, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I have to second what BigBlueToe said. Hemet weight is critical on a road bike. On long rides the neck and shoulder muscles can really start to feel it just holding your head up. A heavy helmet just adds to the pain. Ventilation is also an improtant factor.

PS. I also had one of those "white mushroom" helmets. Also, did not wear it very much.
Old 08-20-09, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
I use what I believe to be the best head protection for the job at hand, a Giro Xen. It provides better coverage than most road bicycling helmets, it lacks a neck-twisting aerodynamic taper, it fits my head extremely well, and it is designed to absorb and to spread impact energy under typical bicycling conditions.
x2 definately, very comfy.
Old 08-20-09, 09:23 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Weight and airflow.
Old 08-20-09, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Personally, as I don't cycle for speed, a multi-sport helmet (which is also rated for biking) works for me.

First bike helmet I've owned that doesn't make me feel like a mushroom (up until this one, I've never owned a helmet that hasn't looked/felt like it's been perching on top of my head--and yes, my helmets have been correctly fitted). This one actually feels like my head is IN it (and I feel like more of my head is covered).

Perhaps that's more similar to the look you're thinking of, without the weight of an actual motorcycle helmet?
Old 08-20-09, 11:23 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Kat12
Personally, as I don't cycle for speed, a multi-sport helmet (which is also rated for biking) works for me.

First bike helmet I've owned that doesn't make me feel like a mushroom (up until this one, I've never owned a helmet that hasn't looked/felt like it's been perching on top of my head--and yes, my helmets have been correctly fitted). This one actually feels like my head is IN it (and I feel like more of my head is covered).

Perhaps that's more similar to the look you're thinking of, without the weight of an actual motorcycle helmet?
So, what helmet do you use?
Old 08-21-09, 05:49 AM

Haven't a clue. It's just some cheapie I got in the kids' section at Wal-Mart or something (small heads unite!).
Old 08-21-09, 06:54 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Kat12
Haven't a clue. It's just some cheapie I got in the kids' section at Wal-Mart or something (small heads unite!).
Could you post a picture of the helmet? I have no idea what a multi-sport helmet is.
Old 08-21-09, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Giant TCX, Schwinn Sierra, Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having had a few motorcycles, I can tell you that even a shorty helmet on a hot day was uncomfortable enough to keep me from riding some days. On others, it certainly took some of the enjoyment out of the ride. That said, I've never felt really uncomfortable even in a cheapier $20 Bell bicycle helmet. IMHO, they are light enough, breath well enough and protect well enough for anything i'm doing on anything with pedals.. Of course they do come with their own flavor of "dork factor" but I'm well past wowing the ladies anyway. ( That went with the motorcycle come to think of it )
Old 08-21-09, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I read somewhere that the price of a bike helmet does not necessarily indicate how well it protects. They all have to meet a safety standard ( not sure what it is, but someone will know). My helmet label says, "Comply with US CPSC Safety Satandard for For Bicycle Helmets". One of the most comfortable helmets I have used was $19.95 on sale. It was also comfortable. I retired it after the yellow faded to almost white from UV exposure.
Old 08-21-09, 12:04 PM
Fran & Nanette

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bride and I ride bikes of both types. One of the biggest complaints of bikers is the discomfort factor, in spite of the upright riding position. You don't see many bikers wearing their helmets for more than a few moments after the engine has been killed. It doesn't matter whether it is a full-face Arai or a non-DOT skid lid.

The heaviest bicycle helmet will be more comfortable than the lightest motorcycle helmet. They don't breath, they are heavy, and they obstruct peripheral vision.

IMNSHO
Old 08-21-09, 01:04 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
My mom bought me one of the first bicycle helmets manufactured - the white Bell from the 1970's. She meant well, but I never wore it. Why? The thing weighed a ton! Years later I picked up a more "modern" helmet and discovered it weighed next to nothing. Now that was something I would wear!
<-----Can't believe anybody but Fools ever wore those Bell Bikers!
Old 08-21-09, 02:49 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
<-----Can't believe anybody but Fools ever wore those Bell Bikers!
The Police over here wore them- and I bought one. Never wore it though as it was heavy.

Two points about a helmet- It has to do the job of protecting you- and it must be comfortable. Without it being comfortable- it will not do the job of protecting you as you won't wear it.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-21-09, 03:52 PM

I don't have a picture of mine, and none of these are the one I have, but this is how they're shaped: https://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

They're the type you usually see on skateboarders and BMX bikers and such. I also plan on wearing mine when I start learning jumps and such in skating, because I hear it's advisable to do when learning more dangerous stuff (I've already been saved once by having my hair in a bun, but I won't always fall on the back of my head).