Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Day 14 blues

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Day 14 blues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Day 14 blues

It's been 14 days since the accident in which I broke both my elbows.

I've progressed to the point where I can feed myself now. Yesterday I said "good-by" to my home health aid for the last time and celebrated by buying a Maninno's Dutch Apple pie. Yum! I'm also able to sleep in bed for 3 or 4 hours a night, so that's progress. That's the good part.

While I'm pleased with my overall progress, I'm surprised at the little things that still cause me pain. Picking up a bottle of ketchup at the supermarket was painful and I was able to push the supermarket cart only until it started to fill. That's the not-so-good part.

This morning I tried driving my car for the first time. I was concerned about being able to turn the key and move the gear shift - neither of which were any problem at all. Steering, which I thought was going to be OK, however, was another story. I drove the 2 blocks from the middle school home, but I wouldn't want to drive very far. Don't want to think about having to make any kind of emergency turning maneuver. I think using the car is going to have to be put off for a while (sigh).

I'm bummed!

Incidentally, I received the invoice for the first week of healthcare aids. The service is actually termed "companionship". If my wife hadn't been the one who set it up, I think that I might be in trouble.
Old 08-22-09, 10:17 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
At least you are able to do something now, even if it does cause some pain. Problem will come in about 3 months when you are "Cured". You will do something like grab something to lift and the pain will hit you.

Glad to see you are recovering- but have you tried the stokers seat on a Tandem yet? Best way to find out if you and the pilot are really compatable.- Or to set you back another 3 months with another fall

Spike Milligan
Old 08-22-09, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Glad to see you are recovering- but have you tried the stokers seat on a Tandem yet? Best way to find out if you and the pilot are really compatable.- Or to set you back another 3 months with another fall
The thought never even occured to me. Mrs. Grouch and I started riding tandems in 1976. I've yet to so much as straddle that back seat.

Actually, we shared our apple pie yesterday with another tandem team who have been very long term friends. They asked the same question. Mrs. Grouch hasn't ridden her half-bike, even once, in over a year so it's not gonna' happen.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 08-22-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 01:13 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Maybe an experienced Captain could be hired for Tandem Companionship.
Old 08-22-09, 03:46 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hang in there. Don't try to rush things or you may slow them down.

As for the tandem idea, having spent a fair amount of time captaining a tandem, I could not imagine sitting on the stoker's seat. I would freak out.
Old 08-22-09, 05:07 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Pretty soon, you'll be able to put a bike on the trainer and sit up with your arms crossed or something............

Hang in there, you'll get better soon.
Old 08-22-09, 05:26 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As one of those few (probably) who has never broken a bone in his life, I can only try to imagine the pain. Don't try to push your recovery faster than you should. I'm sure that being a cyclist will help in your recovery, even from broken bones. Have you tried applying brandy directly to your elbows? If that doesn't work, try internally.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-22-09, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recument trikes have Under Seat Steering with bar end shifters. I imagine one could ride one of those babys with crossed arms. Not much chance of falling off but major opportunity for fun.

Hmmmmm!

All teasing aside, keep on the healing trend. We're pulling for you.
Old 08-22-09, 06:00 PM
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're recovering. As has been said, take things slow and easy and let yourself heal well!
Old 08-22-09, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't push it!! "nuff said.
Old 08-22-09, 07:57 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When you have an injury such as yours you must measure progress in small increments. That your home "companion" has been let go is huge.

While my wrist was healing I was amazed at how long it took to accomplish the most basic tasks: Showering, shaving, lotioning, dressing etc. I quit assigning time frames to those tasks and gave myself a wide margin of time so as to not be late. Still, it was difficult to factor in so much extra time. I can only imagine how much time you give yourself with two broken elbows.

I hope your recovery continues to be speedy and complete.
Old 08-22-09, 08:31 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hang in there. I remember when I broke my pelvis, I thought I was going to die. After about a week I was getting depressed about how slow I was recovering. Then I thought back. In 7 days I went from barely walking with a walker and having to plan my trips to the bathroom a half hour ahead of time to walking with a crutch. I then realized that everyday I was getting better, it was not going to happen all at once but shortly life would be back to normal. So look back at where you were and compare that to where you are - it won't be long now.
Old 08-23-09, 05:57 AM

That's good advice, all.

I'm afraid that I had projected being able to drive my car and had even made plans for all the places that I was going to go while still recovering. When I saw that wasn't going to happen for awhile, I started feeling sorry for myself and sinking into depression. It's good that I still have some social outlets that I can do from home.

Thanks everybody.
Old 08-23-09, 06:25 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I can understand the frustration. I went through a similar buid up of expectations and disappointment when I thought I could have my tracheotomy tube removed during my cancer treatments but learned I would have to wait a couple of months more. I was crushed and angry and depressed at first. But I gradually came to accept it. The time went by and the tube came out and all was well. But I was so angry at the time.
Old 08-23-09, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I can understand the frustration. I went through a similar buid up of expectations and disappointment when I thought I could have my tracheotomy tube removed during my cancer treatments but learned I would have to wait a couple of months more. I was crushed and angry and depressed at first. But I gradually came to accept it. The time went by and the tube came out and all was well. But I was so angry at the time.
Exactly!

I was projecting into the future and, when I saw it wasn't going to match my vision, I allowed myself to get upset about it. What I should have done was to embrace my destiny - the reality of today.
Old 08-23-09, 06:58 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sounds to me like you've earned the right to keep your "Grouch" name just a little longer........but hopefully not too much longer!
Old 08-23-09, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Lenny was making a joke about a recumbent trike but that might not be a real bad idea. It sure would take the stress off of your elbows and let you ride a little sooner perhaps.

If not a trike, then an OSS 2 wheeler recumbent like the Easy Tour that Lenny rides.

Just a thought.
Old 08-23-09, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You could ride one of these with practically no hands. Just a light touch with either hand and your good. I rode a homemade one for a month after hand surgery and it was really fall off proof. Usually my wife has some pretty good arguments for not spending a lot on bikes but if I were in your condition she would probably feel sorry for me just enough for something like this.
Old 08-23-09, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by RoMad

You could ride one of these with practically no hands. Just a light touch with either hand and your good. I rode a homemade one for a month after hand surgery and it was really fall off proof. Usually my wife has some pretty good arguments for not spending a lot on bikes but if I were in your condition she would probably feel sorry for me just enough for something like this.
Actually there's a local company which used to market kits under license with Greenspeed. The last time that I checked on it the complete kit, with good quality components, sold for about $3,000. If I were to go that route, that's what I would want to do. I don't like the idea of paying somebody else to have the fun of building my bike.

Problem is - by the time my arms are able to undertake the assembly task, I won't need the trike.
Old 08-23-09, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure you would,N+1 Rules! Heal well>
Old 08-23-09, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I met a guy on the trail last week riding a very nice cat trike he bought used for $900.00. You could always get a used one to help with your rehab (I'm thinking medical expense tax deduction) and then if you like the tadpole style, build your own when you are healed.
Old 08-23-09, 01:49 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, it is tough isn't it? It is also frustrating to not be able to do things that one takes for granted. Things will heal and you will be able to things again. But it is perfectly OK and normal to get upset at the whole deal. Who wouldn't?
Old 08-25-09, 07:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were just camping this past weekend and the state park had "trikes" similiar to those above. Kids were on them everywhere and when one came by I ask how they steered them and it was just by leaning which made the front wheel turn. They had handles down by the seat but were only useful to hold on to. Single wheel up front, double in the back. Would have loved to ride one but still have a moon boot on for my broken fibula. Two more weeks...at least I hope thats all. I haven't been on my bike since around July 16th.....I'm missing it....my belly tells me so...lol.