Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   plastic water bottle - drinking/riding (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/580179-plastic-water-bottle-drinking-riding.html)

vsopking 08-31-09 01:12 PM

plastic water bottle - drinking/riding

Yesterday, during my ride I thought I needed a drink - usually I stop because I tend to choke..., but this time I felt comfortable - pulled out the bottle, put the tip between the teeth - pulled it open, and after a first small sip - I squeezed the bottle firmly for some more. The cap came off completely and half a litre of juice hit my chin and jersey - continued to ride, but what a mess...:lol:

Knotdodger 08-31-09 01:42 PM

Camelbak Poduim bottle! One way valve. I will not drip after you let go of the squeez.
And you can taste your beverage not the bottle. I have two of them. No bite to open,
just squeez

vsopking 08-31-09 01:50 PM

Thank you - I'll check it. Now trying not to choke anyway..

Mojo Slim 08-31-09 02:43 PM

Did you attract bees?

ModeratedUser150120149 08-31-09 05:58 PM

Nalgene squeezable with one way valve and also has a removeable hinged dome cap. Keeps the mouthpiece clean if you ride on gunky roads. I use them with the cap on. But,you could take it off if you wish.

Hermes 08-31-09 06:21 PM

The Weak Link...please handle this.:D

The Weak Link 08-31-09 06:37 PM

Apropos to nothing but submitting to popular demand.....

Best combined Club Tombey/waterbottle story:

Once I was riding along and foolishly darted out in front of a car at an intersection (I had finished a mini-epic MTB ride and wasn't thinking very clearly). I hit the brakes in a panic stop. I fell over but my cleats did not disengage from the pedals, so I am lying on my back with my bike on top of me.

I had an open bottle of red Powerade in the cage which as it was now upside down proceeded to drip all over me covering me with red sticky fluid.

The driver of the car got out in a panic. "Is there anything I can do for you?" she cried.

"Yes," I said, "tell no one what you just saw".

galyons 08-31-09 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 9591157)

Once I was riding along and foolishly darted out in front of a car at an intersection (I had finished a mini-epic MTB ride and wasn't thinking very clearly). I hit the brakes in a panic stop. I fell over but my cleats did not disengage from the pedals, so I am lying on my back with my bike on top of me.

I had an open bottle of red Powerade in the cage which as it was now upside down proceeded to drip all over me covering me with red sticky fluid.

The driver of the car got out in a panic. "Is there anything I can do for you?" she cried.

Great story!! :thumb:

Cheers,
Geary

edp773 08-31-09 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 9591157)

I like this story better than when I first started using toe clips.

I was in a mall parking lot and put my right foot down when stopping. I fell to the left and the aluminum water bottle cage caught the release on my right prosthetic foot.

When the water bottle cage rebounded it through my leg about two feet. An older couple had just walked around a motorhome and gasped like this smiley :eek:

My friend was laughing so hard he could not ask if I was ok.

Metric Man 08-31-09 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by edp773 (Post 9591871)
I like this story better than when I first started using toe clips.

I was in a mall parking lot and put my right foot down when stopping. I fell to the left and the aluminum water bottle cage caught the release on my right prosthetic foot.

When the water bottle cage rebounded it through my leg about two feet. An older couple had just walked around a motorhome and gasped like this smiley :eek:

My friend was laughing so hard he could not ask if I was ok.

OK, now that is funny. :roflmao2::roflmao2:

probe1957 09-01-09 09:47 AM

Thank gawd I don't have the coordination to even consider taking a drink while I ride. :)

vsopking 09-01-09 09:58 AM

Same with me, usually I am out of breath and drinking makes me choke. Maybe also try a tube like you find attached to a camelback.

TromboneAl 09-01-09 06:40 PM

I always leave the water bottle spout thingie in the open position. This has never been a problem, since I'm rarely upside down (knock on wood).

Dchiefransom 09-01-09 09:23 PM

Being that this is the 50+ forum, we might want to rethink that opening the water bottle with the teeth gambit.
Not only did I get a Camelbak Podium bottle tonight at REI to try out, but they make a "Chill" model. I'm using it right now to rehydrate after work.

Riverside_Guy 09-02-09 09:15 AM

I have a simple rule... stop to drink. AND chew gum... it goes a LONG ways to keep one's mouth hydrated.

v70cat 09-02-09 09:22 AM

I wish they made a metal bottle for bikes.

All plastic bottles have a after taste after a while.

RonH 09-02-09 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Knotdodger (Post 9589626)
Camelbak Poduim bottle! One way valve. I will not drip after you let go of the squeez.
And you can taste your beverage not the bottle. I have two of them. No bite to open,
just squeez

+1

I have two Camelbak ChillJackets. Same design as Podium - just insulated. :thumb: :thumb:

RonH 09-02-09 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom (Post 9598123)
Being that this is the 50+ forum, we might want to rethink that opening the water bottle with the teeth gambit.

That's precisely why I ditched Polar bottles. Too hard to open and I have a crown on both top front teeth. Don't want to risk pulling that loose trying to get a drink.

dentist: "Mr. H, how did you happen to make your crown come loose?"
me: "I was getting a drink from my $9.00 Polar water bottle."
dentist: "Well I hope it was REALLY refreshing because that drink will cost you $1800.00 for a new crown."
me: [after I recover from the shock] "Holy crap!!!!"

AndrewP 09-02-09 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Knotdodger (Post 9589626)
just squeez

But the bottle is too stiff, you have to squeeze too hard - I prefer my old bottle which gave a good flow with minimum squeeze

gsurko 09-02-09 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by v70cat (Post 9600214)

Check out kleankanteen.com

stapfam 09-02-09 03:00 PM

Metal bottles are made but if some think that Camelback bottles are hard to sqeeze- then think again. On the "Plastic" taste of water bottles-I think there is a new reg that limits the type of plastic a bottle can be made from. There are bottles that will not taint a drink and bottles I have bought in the last couple of years do not have the problem. I am a creature of habit though and unless I am carrying only one bottle- The second bottle will always have a little fruit juice in it to disguise the taste of the bottle. But I also use a Camelback that has my energy drink in it. The bottles are only for Long rides where the camelback may get emptied.

tntyz 09-02-09 04:02 PM

I use a Sigg stainless steel bottle all the time. Got it from a fund-raiser my daughter was doing. Can't squeeze it but the flow is adequate for me anyway.

Note that elsewhere I have seen the suggestion to avoid steel bottles on group rides. Dropping one and having it thrown into someone's front wheel would be bad. Plastice MIGHT be soft enough to prevent a total crash. YMMV.

v70cat 09-02-09 05:18 PM

Will the metal bottles fit in the basket?

heavyMetal 09-02-09 06:01 PM

They do and I HAD one. Tossed it after I found it was scratching my down tube (or maybe the seat tube) whenever it made contact. I think I got it at Performance Bike.

Kurt Erlenbach 09-02-09 06:15 PM

Polar insulated bottles are the best. Freeze one and it won't melt fast enough to keep you hydrated. They are squeezable, so they are easier to get a drink from without choking.