Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

old newbie saying Hi

Old 08-31-09, 01:19 PM
bobvonb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old newbie saying Hi

Hi, I'm Bob, 63, and just bought used Trek 420. I just finished a first swipe at cleaning it up and it looks pretty good. I have not ridden a bike like this since I was teen, but I really want to get back in shape. I do walk/hike 4 or more miles day now so I'm starting to get back to shape, but want a little more, hence the bike. I did take a test ride around a parking lot so I know I haven't forgotten everything... just MOST things! I know diddly about real riding so will be looking all over for help with the basics... seriously, the BASICS... everything from what gears to use, when to shift, and what size Allen wrenches do I need.

I live in Apple Valley, CA, which is out in the High Desert. We have miles and miles of long straight roads and I know there at least a couple regular Sat/Sun rides that I hope to do in the coming months. Thanks and I look forward to reading the forum.
Old 08-31-09, 02:57 PM
Platy
Dare to be weird!

Bikes: Hybridized 1970s Coppi road bike; Townie city cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums, Bob. Cycling is such a great way to stay active with not much wear & tear on the joints & feet. If you're walking 4 miles a day now, you should easily be able to ride 12 miles with the same amount of effort and in about the same amount of time. See ya on the forums!
Old 08-31-09, 03:48 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Bob.
Stop by the 50+ forum and say hello to the "old farts".

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-31-09, 04:22 PM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy View Post
Welcome to BikeForums, Bob. Cycling is such a great way to stay active with not much wear & tear on the joints & feet. If you're walking 4 miles a day now, you should easily be able to ride 12 miles with the same amount of effort and in about the same amount of time. See ya on the forums!

The intention is to add a ride after the walk, not replace it. My wife walks with me (often ahead of) and I won't give that up. I hope to tone the old tum-tum, I don't see many riders that do NOT have flat stomachs so the hope is that one way or another cycling will help me there. Gee, it would sure be nice to have a flat stomach again. Sit ups, yuck. Give me something outside.
Old 08-31-09, 04:52 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, you're right about the "toning" effect of bike riding. Nothing else is as effective and fun.

The basic tool kit would be metric wrenches from about 8mm to 15 mm. Allen wrenches from 3mm to 6mm. Phillips head screwdriver. There's other tools you'll need, but this'll give you a good start.
Old 08-31-09, 09:28 PM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good deal

I went to a bike store and got and all-in-one tool, some tire removal tools, an extra tube, a tube repair kit, a helmet, a pump, water bracket and bottle, and an underseat ditty bag. oh, yeah, a seat cushion. official bike shorts and shirt will have to wait... way too expensive. (Maybe Columbia HTC will contact me and send me some!) I got the bike from a friend who had upgraded and left this one gathering dust. I thought we had agreed upon $50 but when I tried to give it to him he said it was too much, how about $20. I would feel guilt about that so we compromised at $30. I may need to get the rear wheel straightend, slight tick tick of the brake shoe, and it definately needs new handlebar tape.. pretty dirty. I'm still under $100 total. I think I got a good deal.

Otherwise when the air clears out here (wildfires make being outside hazardous to one's health) I'll try a little spin.
Old 09-01-09, 05:45 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: 2 good ones, 2 junkers

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobvonb View Post
I'm still under $100 total. I think I got a good deal.
Not bad! Where I live we would call that "falling in a pile of manure and coming out smelling like a rose."

And welcome to the forums! I'm a member at several others but keep gravitating back to this one. It's a great mix of hard core and casual cyclists who somehow mostly get along!

'03 Schwinn mongrel MTB

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 09-01-09, 09:52 AM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a bike store and got and all-in-one tool, some tire removal tools, an extra tube, a tube repair kit, a helmet, a pump, water bracket and bottle, and an underseat ditty bag. oh, yeah, a seat cushion.
Good choices on what to carry on the bike.
You'll probably ditch that seat cushion with a few weeks.

official bike shorts and shirt will have to wait...
Have you looked at velowear.com? Lots of folks on BF use their stuff, including me. If you sign up for their email specials you get $5.00 off.
www.velowear.com

And since you're 63 you may want to consider bibs. Lots of folks on here swear by them. I've been wearing bibs since 2003. I'll never go back to shorts.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-01-09, 11:09 AM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the site, some good buys. I must ask, why bibs? I was also looking at the underliner style. Thanks.
Old 09-01-09, 06:56 PM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the site, some good buys. I must ask, why bibs? I was also looking at the underliner style. Thanks.
No waistband or elastic to cut off your breathing when climbing or riding hard. No waistband means no butt crack either.
Underliners are worn under street shorts only. Cycling shorts and bibs are worn without any underliner or underwear. Cycling clothes are padded for a reason -- unless you get the unpadded style. Then you can wear the underliners.

Old 09-05-09, 10:33 AM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first real road ride

its not much, but after a week of futzing around with the bike and a little back and forth in front of my house, I decided I'd do a 20 minute ride for my first familiarization ride. A couple tendons that haven't seen service in a while were called to duty and I have to wonder why seats are so uncomfortable. Using gmap-pedometer, it said I went 3.32 miles, did a moderate 200' elevation gain on the outbound leg, and burned 488 calories. When I came in the door my wife took one whiff and sent me directly to the showers. But I feel good for a 1st ride in 40+, heck probably closer to 50 years.

I wonder if a moderator couldn't please move this thread intact to the 50+ forum?? Thanks.

Last edited by bobvonb; 09-05-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 11:56 AM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... I have to wonder why seats are so uncomfortable.
Some seats are very comfortable, some are ok, some are awful. Generally the more cushioning (including a seat pad), the more uncomfortable the saddle. You want a small amount of cushioning on a somewhat firm saddle. Your butt will get used to it in a few weeks.

I wonder if a moderator couldn't please move this thread intact to the 50+ forum?? Thanks.
Done.

Last edited by RonH; 09-05-09 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 12:35 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm Bob, 63, and just bought used Trek 420. I just finished a first swipe at cleaning it up and it looks pretty good.
Congrats on returning to riding, the first ride, and a great deal on a nice bike.

Would be great to see pics of the bike...

If you haven't already seen it, here's a great site about old Treks:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/

And here's another great resource:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Old 09-05-09, 12:46 PM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for moving the thread. It's not so much the butt as the crotch area being sore. No bike shorts so that may account for some of it.
Old 09-05-09, 12:54 PM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not so much the butt as the crotch area being sore. No bike shorts so that may account for some of it.
That probably accounts for 98% of it.
Get some padded cycling shorts and leave the underwear at home when you ride. Underwear causes chaffing and defeats the purpose of the padding.
You might also consider a saddle with a cutout. I have this saddle on both of my bikes.

Last edited by RonH; 09-05-09 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 01:22 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The intention is to add a ride after the walk, not replace it. My wife walks with me (often ahead of) and I won't give that up. I hope to tone the old tum-tum, I don't see many riders that do NOT have flat stomachs so the hope is that one way or another cycling will help me there. Gee, it would sure be nice to have a flat stomach again. Sit ups, yuck. Give me something outside.
Cycling won't tone that up- But other exercise to get fit for cycling will.

Welcome back but Riding a bike is just like well---riding a bike. You never forget it but it may take a bit of time remembering what is lurking at the back of the mind.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-05-09, 01:34 PM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no silk purse

me and the Trek 420. Still needs handlebar tape, but otherwise it will do. Probably too tall a frame for me, but if I stick with this after a while I can get all the 'right' stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MeAndBike.jpg (63.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-05-09, 01:40 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good picture.

I'd say flip the stem but I don't think you can do it with a quill stem and it would be an inside joke anyway.

Seriously, we your new brothers for the most part would suggest, and just trust us on this, stiff soled shoes, bib shorts and a nice technical jersey, preferably one with a full zipper. I prefer bright red for road visibility; lime green and yellow, although artistically distasteful, are also quite easy to see on the road.

Otherwise you look good to go.
Old 09-05-09, 01:50 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the pik. That Trek 420 was really a nice bike. I bought one on Craigslist last summer for my son but ended up not using it because we realized the size was wrong.

In any case, in addition to the new handlebar tape you mentioned, you should also consider new brake pads. The new ones (like Kool Stop) often work a lot better than old ones that have been sitting around getting dried out.

Finally, check the tires for cracking in the sidewalls - if they've been sitting around a long time they might be dried out...but if they seem fresh, just run 'em until they're worn out.
Old 09-05-09, 02:23 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bobvonb/greetings /get ready for huffing puffing compared to hikeing If you can interest your lady in some way its a great couples interest and if she will bike get her one./my lady was not a biker but the greatest support in my rigorous bike life and the memories of the bikeing trips with her and the places we grew to love ILL have always./Kenneth
Old 09-05-09, 03:16 PM
bobvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brake pads are new, one new tire, the other ok. Unfortunately my wife cannot ride, so I intend to continue with the morning 4 mi. walks with her and then add a ride. My original goal was to get in shape for hunting, up in the mountains, and I'm at an acceptable level with that because of the hiking. We did the Cougar Crest Trail at Big Bear mountain last weekend. It starts at 6,000' and peaks at 8,500'. We didn't set any speed records but we did the steep sections that stop some before they reach the peak. Now the goal is a flat stomach and continued weight loss. I'll have to break some funds free but yes, I would love some bike shorts/bib and a bright zipper shirt, maybe UCLA colors. The clothes in the picture are not what I rode in. Shorts and a golf shirt that are now in the washer.

Question: foot position. push with the ball of the foot or center the foot on the pedals? I think I NEED rear view mirrors too.
Old 09-05-09, 03:18 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums and to bicycle riding. You'll get good advice here and probably some bad. Take it as suggestions, not gospel. Cycling will definitely help you get in better shape, but I hate to break it to you that it does very little to firm up the belly other than burning off fat in general. Look more closely and you'll see plenty of riders with far from flat bellies.
Old 09-05-09, 11:48 PM
The Smokester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bobvonb, Welcome to the club.
Old 09-06-09, 12:27 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Welcome to the forums and to bicycle riding. You'll get good advice here and probably some bad. Take it as suggestions, not gospel. Cycling will definitely help you get in better shape, but I hate to break it to you that it does very little to firm up the belly other than burning off fat in general. Look more closely and you'll see plenty of riders with far from flat bellies.
First is of a couple of "Slim" older riders But the right clothing hides a multitude of sins.
Attached Images
dlend.jpg (63.5 KB, 8 views)
mtb1.jpg (38.1 KB, 8 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-09, 07:23 AM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Bob...from another So Cal 50+er.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.