Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Update on my wife's bike riding progress

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-06-09, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted on my wife starting to ride recently. She has completed a few rides including a 42 mile charity ride. We rode a 30 mile training ride this morning. She is getting ready for a 50 mile event later this month. A pic of her riding up a hill.
https://tinypic.com/r/xdi4g0/3

Last edited by BikeArkansas; 09-06-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 04:34 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The pic did not make it through.
Old 09-06-09, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Working on getting the pic. No luck so far. Will get back.
Old 09-06-09, 05:19 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Great stuff!! Congratulations to her.

Here is the pic, until you get it figured out.

Old 09-06-09, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Excellent! Make sure she gets a good pat on the back! Maybe an afternoon at a spa after the 50 miler.
Old 09-06-09, 06:48 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference in 42 and 50 miles is just 30 min. on the bike. She's got it made. Hopefully she enjoys the experience enough to keep at it and set new goals.
Old 09-06-09, 09:47 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congrats to your wife and you both. I love the determination in her face. I wish I could get my wife on a bike, but she insists "it's boring". Today, we were coming back from visiting her mother and I had to wait to make a left turn as a small group of riders (30-somethings, I'd guess) worked their way up the hill. My wife said, "I dont' know why you do that. It looks hard".
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-06-09, 10:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Congrats to your wife and you both. I love the determination in her face. I wish I could get my wife on a bike, but she insists "it's boring". Today, we were coming back from visiting her mother and I had to wait to make a left turn as a small group of riders (30-somethings, I'd guess) worked their way up the hill. My wife said, "I dont' know why you do that. It looks hard".
Many of us have that problem. I found out what else she wants and she gets it if she bikes and it is not what you think.
Old 09-06-09, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I posted on my wife starting to ride recently. She has completed a few rides including a 42 mile charity ride. We rode a 30 mile training ride this morning. She is getting ready for a 50 mile event later this month. A pic of her riding up a hill.
https://tinypic.com/r/xdi4g0/3
She looks determined. Therefore she can do anything she wants.
Old 09-07-09, 07:50 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to hear that things are going well. I concur, with a 42 miler under her belt and being able to do 30 mile training rides, she should do the 50 with energy to spare.
Old 09-07-09, 07:56 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She should have no problems with the 50 mile ride Be sure to take more pictures of it.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-07-09, 07:58 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
My daughter seems to find rides boring unless they're along a trail with quaint shops and a good coffee house Maybe your wife would enjoy this type of riding.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-07-09, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, my wife did not "get into" riding until she decided to get in shape. She is not interested in rides through the park or through shopping areas. She is into road rides and improving to the point she can "hang" with the group rides.
One reason seems to be that since she "went over the edge" to road riding she had trimmed her body significantly (over 25 pounds) and feels so much better. She says the enjoyment is the excitement of riding hard and the good results to her body.
I certainly hope she reaches her goal of being able to "hang" with the group rides. Quite a goal for a 62 year old lady that has never been athletic. Fun to watch the development.
Old 09-07-09, 12:58 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
Actually, my wife did not "get into" riding until she decided to get in shape. She is not interested in rides through the park or through shopping areas. She is into road rides and improving to the point she can "hang" with the group rides.
One reason seems to be that since she "went over the edge" to road riding she had trimmed her body significantly (over 25 pounds) and feels so much better. She says the enjoyment is the excitement of riding hard and the good results to her body.
I certainly hope she reaches her goal of being able to "hang" with the group rides. Quite a goal for a 62 year old lady that has never been athletic. Fun to watch the development.
Ha, good for her. I've never seen the point of riding to a coffeeshop or to breakfast. Like her I get bored with rides that just tool along with no point. To each their own I guess. So many people don't stick with riding long enough to see the benefits. As your wife has noticed, once the body starts adapting and the self confidence increases it's like a drug. You have to have more. I can't understand why everyone doesn't do it.
Old 09-07-09, 02:03 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your wife definately deserves a big congratulations.
Old 09-07-09, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go!! It is so good to see that you are both sharing this common interest and doing training rides together. I, too, went "over the edge" at age 62, and have been riding for six years now. It has changed my life for the better in so many ways. I lost 26 pounds and have kept them off by cycling 100-150 miles per week. A big part of my improvement can be attributed to the group rides I do with my bike club, the Ozark Roadies. There is nothing like the excitement I feel when we all roll out together to start another great ride.

I hereby invite you and your wife to join the Roadies on one of our rides. Check out the Southeast forum for our ride this Saturday the 12th.

Arkansasgal
Old 09-07-09, 03:05 PM
old but fast

Bikes: Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrates to her and tell her to keep it up, this will open a lot of great vacation and rides for the two of ya.

My wife just complete a century today and did a personel best of 19.4mph finishing in 5:10 minutes at 103 miles, see will be 50 the first week of November!

You sound proud of her and you should be, I can't stop bragging about mine!