Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Record your "Ride your Age" ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-07-09, 04:41 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

How about a thread to record your "Rode your age" rides. This can only work in the 50+ forum. Don't be afraid to record an old ride that met the criteria. I'll start.

Distance: 66.4 mi
Ave Spd: 17.5
Ride Format: Club ride, 10 riders
Route: Coral Springs, FL to Delray Beach, FL and back.

See the ride here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6565
Old 09-07-09, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it, as it gives me an intermediary goal. I am 61 and in the process of training for a 165 ride (The SMART Ride) from Miami to Key West in January. I haven't found a recommended training schedule, but figure on working up to ride my age by late October or early November. Now if I could just figure out how to shoot my age on the golf course.
Old 09-07-09, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BiopSea
Now if I could just figure out how to shoot my age on the golf course.
Thats easy,just need to figure what hole to quit on!
Old 09-07-09, 09:47 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
BiopSea,

Here is a training schedule to get one ready for a 7-day 550 mile ride. You might be able to modify it for your purposes. As you can see, the key is just a slow, incremental increase to some where near your goal. You don't have to actually ride 165 miles to be able to ride 165 miles. Hope it helps.

There are those on this forum who regularly ride double centuries who will be of great help. I would assume your ride is relatively flat, hope it has a tailwind, too. Good luck. It will be quite an accomplishment.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
ALC Training Chart.doc (19.0 KB, 20 views)
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-08-09, 06:57 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Already wrote about mine:
August 31 (61st Bday)
63 miles, rolling terrain
Average ~14MPH
Me and the spouse just cruising along
Old 09-08-09, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I had back-to-back 51-milers last week. Since I'm 52, though, they don't count.

It's my last day of vacation and I know what I'll be doing . . .
Old 09-08-09, 10:36 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Due to scheduling conflicts, I rode mine last sat. (3 weeks before my b-day) rode 63 miles with skipper to a small cafe called "Kays Outback" where I had a cinamon roll as big as my head. When we got back I then climbed on to my trail bike and did another 38 miles on the Badger trail. 101 for the day which took about 10 1/2 hrs including breaks. Impromptou, challenging but felt the need.
Old 09-08-09, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mojo,

Thanks for the guide. I will use it. According to that schedule, I am somewhere between January and February now. Fortunately the ride is flat. I now have a goal of my riding my age by ................. Thanksgiving!
Old 09-08-09, 10:55 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
As a present to myself for turning 50, I rode four times my age in July... roughly twice as far as I'd ever ridden before.

Fun video production of the event here: https://www.vimeo.com/5675360

Last edited by DiabloScott; 09-08-09 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-08-09, 11:03 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
As a present to myself for turning 50, I rode four times my age in July... roughly twice as far as I'd ever ridden before.

https://www.vimeo.com/5675360
I'd like to do the STP one year if only to say I've done it. I understand the course isn't the most interesting or attractive but the event itself seems like a good challenge as a one day ride. Maybe next year.
Old 09-08-09, 11:13 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I'd like to do the STP one year if only to say I've done it. I understand the course isn't the most interesting or attractive but the event itself seems like a good challenge as a one day ride. Maybe next year.
I wish you folks would quit coming up with more rides to do. Just when I get one or two checked off several more pop up. My college roommate just moved out to Seattle so it might be time to pay him a visit next July??
Old 09-08-09, 11:18 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by BiopSea
Good idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it, as it gives me an intermediary goal. I am 61 and in the process of training for a 165 ride (The SMART Ride) from Miami to Key West in January. I haven't found a recommended training schedule, but figure on working up to ride my age by late October or early November. Now if I could just figure out how to shoot my age on the golf course.
I did RAIN in July which was 160 miles. My suggestion would be to just get time in the saddle comparable to what you think you'll spend doing the ride. For example, I did several rides that were about the same length of time that it took me to do the 160 miles but the training rides were a lot slower and thus a lot fewer miles. For me it was just getting the body accustomed to riding for that long and not necessarily the miles. However the terrain where I live is more rolling/hilly so I can get the saddle time without having to do the mileage-you might not have that luxury.
Old 09-08-09, 11:27 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I wish you folks would quit coming up with more rides to do. Just when I get one or two checked off several more pop up. My college roommate just moved out to Seattle so it might be time to pay him a visit next July??
My wife's Med. School roommate lives in Portland. Hmmm, I bet she would like to get out for a visit.
Old 09-08-09, 01:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
age 57
Distance 102 miles
Bike Schwinn Madison SS
Date 9/6/09
Club ride

Last edited by jab1362; 09-08-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-08-09, 02:36 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Friend / business associate lives in Seattle, she's a cyclist, and offered me a job out there several years ago. Tarheel Team participating next year. hmmm....
Old 09-08-09, 02:56 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt

Friend / business associate lives in Seattle, she's a cyclist, and offered me a job out there several years ago. Tarheel Team participating next year. hmmm....
Sure, as long as you and jppe agree to pull me around all day.
Old 09-09-09, 06:54 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tour De Tamarack road race last sunday. On one of the race's decents I topped out at 53.3 mph, not quite my age of 56, but close. Please, don't tell my wife.
Old 09-09-09, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to know if I can put last Sat. ride in the bank for when I turn 75? 59 now.

Here is the description:
RIDE INFO: If you like climbing hills (really BIG hills!), then join us for the 8th Annual "Hills Are Your Friends", which might be one of the most challenging rides you'll ever do. We'll have over 9200 feet of elevation gain (aka climbing!), with most of that coming on the four difficult/very difficult crossings of the Laurel Ridge. Along with the fun(?) ascents, there will be as many exhilarating descents and some of the most spectacular scenery in SW PA.

75 miles of torture climbing with some screaming descents thrown in for good measure(54.4 mph tops on my computer). Two 4 mile long climbs topped out at 22% and 24%. Ride evaluation on the way home, "at least we did not embarrass ourselves". Bad thigh cramps at mile 55 or so but I was not the only one with that issue. Used a 50/36 compact with a 12/27 cassette. A triple with the same rear would have really helped. When we got near the last rest stop I considered going into an adjacent church to pray vs. the C store.
Old 09-09-09, 02:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Me and my GD went out a few weeks ago. Only on the MUP that runs at the bottom of her garden but we did 1/2 mile to celebrate her 6 month birthday.

By this time of the year- I should be riding my age every weekend but The max I seem to be managing right now is about 50 miles- and that is only every other week. I'll just have to plan a couple of metrics for the Autumn. That will put me the 1/2 mile that Ferne does over my age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ferne.jpg (100.7 KB, 8 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 09-09-09, 04:07 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just did it today. Age 53.
53.2 miles, 3 hours 52 minutes, avg. speed 13.6 mph. It was also my first half century.
Old 09-09-09, 05:14 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I'll be 65 in November but the weather around here isn't really conducive for long rides at that time of the year, so I rode the 70 mile Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes last Tuesday.
Old 09-09-09, 07:45 PM
50K Roadie

Bikes: Trek Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[This is edited from my bikejournal entry.] Back in mid April, I did a solo ride a new route to Lystra Rd.; temps were mid 50s to mid 60s with light winds and route was mostly rolling hills. After the first ten miles I passed a group of ~6 younger women on O.Ch. Rd approaching the top of a long hill before the school zone, one of which was apparently a bit competitive (and urged on by the the ones behind that I just passed), but not quite a match for cruz the old goat. Otherwise it was an uneventful ride though my first stint at the locally-steep Lystra hill was punctuated by 2 granny-gear hill sections each being around 150-200 yards long with a very short "level" section in between, and I was the only old goat on Lystra too. :-) . At the top I turned around and coming down was a blast at up to 40 mph. And about cramping, etc I felt a twinge, but kept it under the red zone and had no issues even on short steep Regency hill near the end. I kept it a few tenths of mph slower on this ride. A metric (my goal next month) would have been a piece of cake today; I'm really happy about that as I think I'm starting to break thru the 45 mile barrier. Total mileage was 56 slightly surpassing the age. Rode my age the weekend before too, but that ride wasn't as eventful and I got cramping from riding faster overall.

Next year will be another mile added, but at least I have the confidence that was a bit shaky last Spring.
Old 09-09-09, 10:44 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my age, 64, back in May; but there is no way I remember anything from May.
Old 09-10-09, 07:26 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
I would like to know if I can put last Sat. ride in the bank for when I turn 75? 59 now.
Old 09-10-09, 07:28 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Me and my GD ..... did 1/2 mile to celebrate her 6 month birthday.
Stapfam, you got my vote for most original post to this thread!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.