Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Water Bottles (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/583786-water-bottles.html)

curdog 09-11-09 05:38 AM

Water Bottles

Any good ways to clean water bottles. Mine sometimes get "grunge" in the bottom, which is even difficult to get at with a brush. Any suggestions?

kr32 09-11-09 06:06 AM

Sure it is "in" the bottle and not on the bottom of it?
I thought I had something "in" mine but it was just the dirt on the outside.

Also I always take mine and rinse out after every ride.

curdog 09-11-09 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by kr32 (Post 9654320)
Sure it is "in" the bottle and not on the bottom of it?
I thought I had something "in" mine but it was just the dirt on the outside.

Also I always take mine and rinse out after every ride.

I guess that's really my problem. I have too many bottles, which means that they sometimes sit for a few days before they get washed. Squeky(sp) wheel gets the grease, I get dysentery!!:)

overthehillmedi 09-11-09 07:17 AM

denture cleaning tablet?seems appropriate for this forum.:D

JanMM 09-11-09 07:22 AM

"Wash" them regularly.

A better solution would be to replace them with opaque bottles and don't look inside them.

thompsonpost 09-11-09 07:23 AM

Camelbaks (sic) rule.

I no longer use bottles.

maddmaxx 09-11-09 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by thompsonpost (Post 9654668)
Camelbaks (sic) rule.

I no longer use bottles.

The denture cleaning tablets are also recomended for Bladders...............:D

formerbrit 09-11-09 07:31 AM

The brush sold for cleaning baby bottles works very well. Check the infant section at your local store

thompsonpost 09-11-09 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 9654702)
The denture cleaning tablets are also recomended for Bladders...............:D

It's lying flat in the freezer, half full of ice.

When I use it, I set it out for ten minutes, then fill it with cold water. The ice slab keeps my back and the water cold.

I never see scum in it.

My original response was to suggest a better way.

cmburch 09-11-09 07:49 AM

A little chlorine bleach then dish soap and rinse well. Chlorine sterilizes too.

May be able to use a small dish washing cloth and a long spoon to scrub the bottom.

will dehne 09-11-09 07:53 AM

I use water bottles for water only. No problem ever with deposits. Just sort of clean it every time I fill it with water. That is all I use for up to 70 mile rides. Above that I need replenish electrolytes,
Gatorade and such, it goes into a trow away bottle. Too much trouble to get that 100% clean and that is a problem if it is not clean.

Louis 09-11-09 07:57 AM

If you have gunk in there that won't come out with minor effort, it's dumpster time.

Put in a tablespoon of bleach then fill bottle with HOT water. Be sure to squeeze some solution up into spout; let sit overnight. Rinse bottle thoroughly until the bleach smell disappears.

BluesDawg 09-11-09 08:04 AM

The trick is to clean them before the crud sets in. If one ever gets to the point that it is hard to clean, I toss it in the recycling bin.

Cleave 09-11-09 08:14 AM

Hi,

A lot of good suggestions for getting rid of the crud.

One prevention suggestion I didn't see is what I do. Right after my ride I rinse the bottle and then put it in the dishwasher. I put the cap in the silverware holder section that has a "flap" to keep things from coming out. I make sure the spout on the cap is open. No problems with crud in my bottles.

jdon 09-11-09 08:16 AM

When I get back from a ride, I throw them in the dishwasher. They are cleaned that day. I buy 6 new bottles every spring and toss last years out.

You must have hit "send" as I was typing Cleave. Yep, do as Cleave says and you will never have issues. I always get freaked out when you see people leave dirty water bottles in their cages in the garage or when they take the bike in for maintenance.

stapfam 09-11-09 10:58 AM

Dishwasher again- but For the Camelback- I use baby bottle disinfecting tablets. After a dose of that- any crud left in the bottle is inert and what I can't see-----

lhbernhardt 09-11-09 11:14 AM

Who cleans bottles? I just toss them on the road when they're empty just like the Euro pro's.

No, seriously, I toss them in the dishwasher, but I have heard that this might release some of the chemicals in the plastic; not sure how true that is.

In British Columbia, there is a deposit on all beverage bottles, so whenever I've got an empty Gatorade or Coke bottle in the cage, and I'm in an urban area and I see a homeless person, I have been known to whistle at the guy and then toss the empty bottle across the sidewalk in his vicinity. Yeah, it's kinda patronizing, but it's efficient.

L.

Riverside_Guy 09-11-09 12:30 PM

Rinse 'em out, hot water after the ride is all this dishwasher does. Mostly cuz I fill 'em with lemonade.

NOS88 09-11-09 12:42 PM

I concur with the dishwasher method. Even when I use a sports drink, if I put it in the dishwasher right after the ride, I never have problems.

bill_pfaff 09-11-09 12:58 PM

formerbrit hit it on the head.

Any of these will work. Seeing as our baby is 20 years old, I got a sponge end bottle cleaner from Target that works great for me.

BluesDawg 09-11-09 01:03 PM

The dishwasher is most effective for the large mouth bottles which are popular now. With the old style bottles with the smaller caps, not much spray makes it inside the bottle. Those I wash in the sink using a brush made for washing inside of glasses. The hardest part is making sure to rinse out all the soap.

DanteB 09-11-09 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by thompsonpost (Post 9654668)
Camelbaks (sic) rule.

I no longer use bottles.

I use Camelbak bottles.

bobthib 09-11-09 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by thompsonpost (Post 9654782)
It's lying flat in the freezer, half full of ice.

Huummm.... seems like a great idea for any container.

In So. Fla in the summer, however, it's not the best approach. I prepare 2 24 oz insulated water bottles the night before. One get frozen solid, the other refrigerated. On a 2 hr morning ride, but the time I need the 2nd, its defrosted, cold and ready. Come "winter" the 1/2 bottle approach sounds good.

:thumb:

Regarding the OP issue, that's a real problem here. Gotta clean those baby's out ASAP as all kinds of nasty things grow quick.

Toxic black mold is a real problem for all, and loves warm wet environs. Keep those bottles clean and dry in any weather. A 10% clorox warm water solution for 20 min. will wipe out any problem.

mjww 09-12-09 06:03 AM

I use Kleen Kanteen stainless steel bottles and have no problems. You can try a baby bottle brush to clean the bottoms (after a good soaking of course)!

RonH 09-12-09 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by DanteB (Post 9659021)
I use Camelbak bottles.

+1
Camelbak ChillJacket :thumb:
I wash them after each ride and wash them in the top rack of the dishwasher about every other week.