Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Katy Trail - Day 3 and the accident

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-13-09, 07:38 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today we rode from New Franklin to Hartsburg for a total of 35 miles. As promised by the Katy Trail guide this was a flat and scenic section.

Rocheport was our first stop and we loved it so much we stayed for lunch after only 12 miles on the trail. They have a great cafe on the trail and this seems to be a favorite place for riders.
[IMG][/IMG]

This section has a lot of history tied to the Lewis and Clark expedition and there are signs all along the trail with this information. A few pictures taken along the trail before the tunnel and "the accident".
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Just before entering Rocheport is the only tunnel on the Katy Trail. It's not a long tunnel but it can be very dark if you forget to remove your sunglasses. The trail is a little rough inside the tunnel and there is a slight drop off on both sides which contains soft dirt. Immediately after entering the tunnel I couldn't see a thing except the light at the end of the tunnel. I got too close to the edge and the bike and I went down I was able to unclip and I stuck my hand out against the wall to prevent hitting the wall full force but my left elbow took the most impact. A couple of walkers helped me back to my feet and I was able to walk the bike and myself out of the tunnel. No damage was done to the bike but I'm going to have a nice bruise on my left elbow. As you can see the 520 wasn't damaged
[IMG][/IMG]

I had no problems the rest of the ride and enjoyed the scenery. The weather cooperated again today with temps in the high 70's, partly cloudy skies and not too hateful headwinds
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-13-09, 08:21 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you were not seriously hurt, although tomorrow you may feel as if you were seriously hurt. looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-13-09, 08:47 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So sorry to hear that you had an accident.

We have a number of tunnels on bike trails in Wisconsin. Supposedly you are forbidden to ride your bikes in them, you are supposed to walk them through. I've ridden through them several times, using a light. Did attempt to ride through a 1000' tunnel without a light and came very close to hitting the wall. Barely avoiding a fall.

Can't say I've attempted to ride through one without a light and while wearing sunglasses.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-14-09, 03:48 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ouch!

Sorry to hear you 'Hit the wall'. I've been thoroughly enjoying your reports over the past few days.
It's almost as if we're riding along with you.

Thank you for taking the time to include us.
Old 09-14-09, 10:00 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice ride. So glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Old 09-14-09, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to here the 520 wasn't hurt!

Seriously, I hope your left elbow only has a small bruise.
Old 09-14-09, 05:32 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Beverly, I hope your elbow was in good working order today and I'm you weren't more badly injured.

That looks like a great ride... wish I was there!
Old 09-14-09, 06:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, was on the Katy Trail yesterday--it was a gorgeous day!! We were riding in the Hermann, actually McKittrick to Portland area. Seems to me like the trail is not in as good of shape as usual. Several rough spots and more places where the tires want to veer off the trails if one gets too close to the sides. Anyway, I also enjoyed your sharing of the pics!!
Old 09-14-09, 06:44 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great photos! Brings back lots of memories of my life in Missouri.

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-15-09, 11:54 AM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I saw this post I wondered if we maybe crossed paths as I was on the Katy trail also Friday morning! but did 43 miles from North Jefferson to Providence & back, before climbing into the car for the long drive back to Ohio. I saw 3 turtles on the trail, lots of little lizards or salamanders, and very few other riders. The view from the trail in that section is often obscured by trees & brush that have grown up along the right-of-way, and have themselves been covered by some kind of aggressive vine. But when the trail does come along the Missouri River, or someplace where you can clearly see the rock bluffs, it is impressive. Did you notice all the dikes built along the creeks that the trail crossed? I thought the surface in that section was just fine, really just a few rough areas.

I do hope that your elbow feels fine now.

I am glad for your good pictures as my camera had a dead battery.

I had been in the state for the Tour of Missouri. Hope you enjoyed the Sedalia TT, Beverly, I had to miss it!