Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever been in a slump? How did you climb out of it?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-25-09, 09:36 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in a slump, the kind I've seen others talk about in this forum. When I read about it, my thought was "just force yourself to go out and ride no matter how you feel".

Well, now I know that's a lot easier said than done.

Our bike group's weekend ride to Long Beach is coming up in 2 weeks. The ride from our house is 62 miles, the ride back about 45 (we take one route going, another one coming back). I've done this ride before and those miles with ease, but this time I feel different.

I haven't done a lot of riding lately due to a few factors, mostly the high heat (upper 90s) after work. It's just too dog-gone hot to go out, and I'm much more heat-sensitive than ever before. Even at the end of our regular Saturday 40-miler, I'm glad to get home.

Still, I've pushed myself to go out ----- and, I think, therein lies the problem. Riding has turned into something I "have to do" to train for that ride, not something I want to do. I am not a competitive or highly driven person, and I the push-push-push lifestyle soon turns into resistance or, worse yet, burn-out.

I recognize this as a first sign of burn-out, so I've decided to cool it. This has been going on for 2 weeks, and now I'm starting to feel like a slug. To make matters worse, if I don't exercise at least a few days a week, feelings of depression set in.

Taking a break isn't a bad thing -- it can renew one's spirit and refresh the mind. But this feels more like a slump, not a planned break.

I know some of you have been through this --- so tell me.....

How did you climb out of it?
Old 09-25-09, 09:53 AM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's probably just the heat. It can sap your motivation and rob you of power when you do get out on the bike. I would bet once the heat subsides you feel back to normal. As for your upcoming ride, if the heat is still bad just try to make it a social ride. I find company often takes my mind off the weather conditions. You'll get through the ride as long as you drink lots and don't push too hard in the heat.
Old 09-25-09, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burn-out is insufficiently descriptive. It's more likely over-training or insufficient rest for the amount of activity. I'm currently recovering from it myself.

I got back to N Florida from N Georgia and ran into a very long stint of extremely humid weather in the high 80's. I was unacclimated which meant i was working a lot harder. Then I added some new exercises to my weight training regime at the same time. It caught up with me two/three days ago.

The solution for me is take a few days off until the rest/rebuilding catches up with the cell damage and the motivation comes back. It might take a week, but for me two days is normally good enough. This time it may take three or four.

Probably shouldn't go cold turkey for more than a couple of days. Easing back into it slowly is best as active recovery works better than zero activity.

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 09-25-09 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 10:17 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Road forum response... Just HTFU and ride

Sometimes you just need a break. If you're feeling guilty about it it's not out of your mind.
Old 09-25-09, 11:00 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try changing up your routine (new route, new bike, or something).
Old 09-25-09, 11:22 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Try changing up your routine (new beer, new girlfriend, or something).
Fixed it..
Old 09-25-09, 11:49 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Fixed it..
My husband may not approve...

It's definitely not over-training. I think Bike WNC is right --- it's probably the heat. It completely saps my energy.

One day a few months ago when the summer temps heated up, I spent the day looking forward to riding after work. Normally, I walk from the vanpool stop to home, about 15 minutes all uphill, and that day I walked home as usual. By the time I walked into the house, I felt as if someone pulled the plug on my energy. My desire to do anything was gone and I thought I just needed a rest, so I changed into my lounge-around-the-house clothes. About 30 minutes later, I felt like a new person, and I knew it wasn't about needing a rest ------ it was the heat. So we had a new plan: On hot days, my husband now picks me up at the vanpool spot and drives me home where the a/c is already running. I cannot believe how much of a difference that makes. However...... it's still blazing hot outside, often times in the upper 90s or 100 when I get home around 5:15. The longer I wait for it to cool down, the closer I get to my early bedtime and the less likely I'll go out. It's a race against time every night.

I went out at 9:00 this morning, planning to ride a couple of hours. After an hour, I was so hot I rode home, my face literally as red as a beet. At least I got a good hour's ride. Tomorrow will be hot again, so we'll have to get out early. It's supposed to be cooler (mid-80s) next week, so relief is on the way.
Old 09-25-09, 11:56 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good you found the answer. Riding in hot weather is tough. Here in Central Florida no one puts on an organized century from May until August. I think the first start in late September. I guess they don't want to have to haul in dozens of collapsed cyclists if they ran it on a hot August day.
Old 09-25-09, 12:54 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I'm in a slump, the kind I've seen others talk about in this forum. When I read about it, my thought was "just force yourself to go out and ride no matter how you feel".

Well, now I know that's a lot easier said than done.

Our bike group's weekend ride to Long Beach is coming up in 2 weeks. The ride from our house is 62 miles, the ride back about 45 (we take one route going, another one coming back). I've done this ride before and those miles with ease, but this time I feel different.

I haven't done a lot of riding lately due to a few factors, mostly the high heat (upper 90s) after work. It's just too dog-gone hot to go out, and I'm much more heat-sensitive than ever before. Even at the end of our regular Saturday 40-miler, I'm glad to get home.

Still, I've pushed myself to go out ----- and, I think, therein lies the problem. Riding has turned into something I "have to do" to train for that ride, not something I want to do.
I am not a competitive or highly driven person, and I the push-push-push lifestyle soon turns into resistance or, worse yet, burn-out.

I recognize this as a first sign of burn-out, so I've decided to cool it. This has been going on for 2 weeks, and now I'm starting to feel like a slug. To make matters worse, if I don't exercise at least a few days a week, feelings of depression set in.

Taking a break isn't a bad thing -- it can renew one's spirit and refresh the mind. But this feels more like a slump, not a planned break.

I know some of you have been through this --- so tell me.....

How did you climb out of it?
These two statements go to the heart of the problem. In athletic performance / training, things are generally not perfect. There are a host of issues besides heat to bias choice to not work out. Generally, the counterbalance to those biases are the consequences to how one feels or performs if one gives into not working out - depression, weight gain, poor performance and etc.

For many, the consequences of not working out and the memories of how one feels provides the motivation to get out and do it when you just do not feel like doing it.

Heat is very difficult and zaps power. I try to do the best I can in adverse situations and do not worry about it. I visualize these rides as strategic events. That is if one climbs a long hill 50 times, that develops a strategic advantage over someone who does it less or not at all. The performance on each climb and the conditions may vary. However, after 50 climbs, the chance of a good performance, the more tactical component, is very high. One can put whatever visualization is necessary to carry you through tougher times and conditions.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-25-09 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 01:00 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
My husband may not approve...

It's definitely not over-training. I think Bike WNC is right --- it's probably the heat. It completely saps my energy.

If only I could get Mrs. BikeWNC to say that once in a while.

At least it's a dry heat! My perfect riding temp is somewhere in the upper 50s so temps in the 90s+ are a killer for me.
Old 09-25-09, 01:03 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
These two statements go to the heart of the problem. In athletic performance / training, things are generally not perfect. There are a host of issues besides heat to bias choice to not work out. Generally, the counterbalance to those biases are the consequences to how one feels or performs if one gives into not working out - depression, weight gain, poor performance and etc.

For many, the consequences of not working out and the memories of how one feels provides the motivation to get out and do it when you just do not feel like doing it.

Heat is very difficult and zaps power. I try to do the best I can in adverse situations and do not worry about it. I visualize these rides as strategic events. That is if one climbs a long hill 50 times, that develops a strategic advantage over someone who does it less or not at all. The performance on each climb and the conditions may vary. However, after 50 climbs, the chance of a good performance, the more tactical component, is very high. Once can put whatever visualization is necessary to carry you through tougher times and conditions.
Please resubmit this text in English for the less technically oriented. Wait, I'll do it for you. Just HTFU! LOL.
Old 09-25-09, 01:17 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Please resubmit this text in English for the less technically oriented. Wait, I'll do it for you. Just HTFU! LOL.
Hey, that is as touchy feely as I can get.
Old 09-25-09, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why so much thinking and fretting about an activity that's supposed to be enjoyable? Unless you're trying to make a living on the bike, when it stops being fun, stop doing it for awhile. Walk, swim, jog, go for a hike, run the bleachers at the high school or sit on your butt for three days. It won't hurt anything.
Old 09-25-09, 02:01 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I don't get depressed over losing a few days of exercise. Rather, I am prone to mild depression which I combat with a healthy diet and regular exercise --- some type of moderate-high intensity exercise, it doesn't need to be cycling -- most days of the week. If I slack off for more than a week -- and especially if high temperatures keep me indoors and I'm not exposed to natural sunlight (I work in a windowless building)-- I start not feeling good.

I do not get depressed just because I give in to not working out -- there are many other things I enjoy doing if I am not exercising.

I appreciate your other comments though.
Old 09-25-09, 02:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Why so much thinking and fretting about an activity that's supposed to be enjoyable? Unless you're trying to make a living on the bike, when it stops being fun, stop doing it for awhile. Walk, swim, jog, go for a hike, run the bleachers at the high school or sit on your butt for three days. It won't hurt anything.
I agree -- and I have thought about that several times this week. I don't need to pound the pavement or ride a bazillion miles for good health, which also includes balance, fun, laughter, friends, family, and lots of other good things.

The main issue is the upcoming long group ride. To solve that, I have decided to help drive the SAG truck. The other driver and I will take turns riding and driving. It's a win-win --- he'll be able to ride part of the way (not just drive), and I won't need to push myself to the point of exhaustion just to participate on this ride or worry about training for a lot of miles if the weather stays hot between now and then.
Old 09-25-09, 02:09 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC

If only I could get Mrs. BikeWNC to say that once in a while.

At least it's a dry heat! My perfect riding temp is somewhere in the upper 50s so temps in the 90s+ are a killer for me.

Upper 50s/60s feels heavenly to me.
Old 09-25-09, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Scattante CFR Elite road bike and Schwin mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a reason you can't ride in the morning? I ride at 4:30 a.m. to avoid the heat in the Phoenix metro area. Even when the overnight temps are in the 90's, it's easier before the sun comes up. The temp today is supposed to be around 101. When I rode this morning is was in the 70's. It actually feels a little cool until I really start pumping!

Just a thought.
Old 09-25-09, 02:29 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I've always been destination motivated when it came to bicycling, and I prefer do 10 miles a day for 5 days to work, than do one 50 miler on the weekend. To add variation to my commutes, I'll pick and chose different routes after work depending on the weather, errands, or mood.
By doing this, I've been able to keep a steady bicycling schedule for many years.
Old 09-25-09, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 4500 and a 4300 and a few Raleighs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Try changing up your routine (new route, new bike, or something).
I agree.

Also, you may want to cut back on how far you ride or how hard you push yourself when you ride. I wouldn't drop ridding, just take a break and ride for the "fun of it" (leisurely ridding, maybe) instead of feeling like you need to do it.

Like a lot of things, it's all a state of mind. It sounds like biking isn't "fun" to you anymore (at least temporarily) -- probably more like work and no fun. Try taking it easy for awhile and let yourself just enjoy ridding again. Also, exercise is a great way to help out with depression.
Old 09-25-09, 02:55 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kabersch
Is there a reason you can't ride in the morning? I ride at 4:30 a.m. to avoid the heat in the Phoenix metro area. Even when the overnight temps are in the 90's, it's easier before the sun comes up. The temp today is supposed to be around 101. When I rode this morning is was in the 70's. It actually feels a little cool until I really start pumping!

Just a thought.
I wish I could, but I leave for work at 5:30 am -- I ride a vanpool that leaves at 5:45. It saves me a lot of $$ each month. A one-way commute by bike would take me at least 2 hours. I wouldn't mind just 1 hour, but I don't want to spend 4 hours commuting to/from work every day. But what a way to get in shape!!!
Old 09-25-09, 02:57 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I've always been destination motivated when it came to bicycling, and I prefer do 10 miles a day for 5 days to work, than do one 50 miler on the weekend. To add variation to my commutes, I'll pick and chose different routes after work depending on the weather, errands, or mood.
By doing this, I've been able to keep a steady bicycling schedule for many years.
Yep, variety is important too. That's another trick I'm adding to my bag. I know that when the weather cools down, I can focus more on reasons to ride instead of reasons not to.
Old 09-25-09, 03:02 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traveler5
I agree.

Also, you may want to cut back on how far you ride or how hard you push yourself when you ride. I wouldn't drop ridding, just take a break and ride for the "fun of it" (leisurely ridding, maybe) instead of feeling like you need to do it.
That's what I have decided to do, at least to regain my interest. Now that I've decided to do SAG for part of the long ride, I don't need to push myself beyond my current ability if the weather doesn't start cooperating.

Originally Posted by Traveler5
Like a lot of things, it's all a state of mind. It sounds like biking isn't "fun" to you anymore (at least temporarily) -- probably more like work and no fun. Try taking it easy for awhile and let yourself just enjoy ridding again. Also, exercise is a great way to help out with depression.
+100. I'm trying to adjust my state of mind to keep this fun. Just going for a ride is fun for me; pushing myself reduces the fun factor for me. I can do that once in a while, but pushing myself every day drains my interest as well as my energy.
Old 09-25-09, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I'm destination motivated, too. It keeps me going, because even when I am tired, the bike ride to work and back is always easier and far more pleasant than the drive would be.

I liked the idea of driving the SAG wagon. That gives you a chance to take a break from riding but still enjoy the social aspects.

I burned out this summer, although not on cycling. I usually tape the show at the family camp we attend. This year, I was just too tired after a day of sailing. A layoff worked for me -- I'm all set to tape again next year.

Paul
Old 09-25-09, 04:54 PM

Bikes: Trek 4500 and a 4300 and a few Raleighs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
pushing myself reduces the fun factor for me. I can do that once in a while, but pushing myself every day drains my interest as well as my energy.
I felt the same way about cross-country skiing here in UT. I used to enjoy it then it became more of a chore and hard labor because I made it that way and then I started making excuses to not do it regularly. It was a great workout but I wasn't looking around while skiing and enjoying the beauty of the snowy mountains.
Old 09-25-09, 05:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've dropped off the bicycling for a bit - some leg pain, a lot of rain, and a need for change.

So, I swim, added some different weight exercises, and have done a lot of walking - which is beautiful and crisp right now.

Got a rec center nearby? Cool inside? Go there and do some different things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.