Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cheap sunglasses II

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cheap sunglasses II

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 03:07 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Cheap sunglasses II

Well, I'm halfway done with the cataract surgery. One eye is complete and one to go in a couple of weeks. I'm trapped between a good eye and a bad eye and I presently have to juggle various glasses around to do different things untill both are done.

Does anybody have any advice on reasonable wrap around dark glassis for riding? Do different tints on the lenses help? Are the inexpensive ones strong enough not to break when looked at? If you buy from Nashbar or someone like that, how do you get a good fit?
Old 09-19-09, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I used to buy expensive wrap around sunglasses. Not any longer. I now but these: https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dual-comfort.html. At under $10/pair they are a real bargin. Additionally, they work as well or better than any of the more expensive glasses I've used in the past. They also make a version with a bi-focal in typical reading glasses strenghts (+1 thru +3). I wear those when I'm riding alone and may have to fix a flat. (Just can't see well enough to do this without a little help.)
Old 09-19-09, 07:27 AM
Boomer

Thanks, good information and a good website link.
Old 09-19-09, 08:01 AM
Magnum Propulsion

Bikes: Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been getting these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

I started wearing these safety glasses at work and really liked how comfortable they fit. The lenses are very dark wrap around to block light from the sides. I bought 6 pairs last time for $35, including shipping. The only problem I have with them is that the lenses seem to scratch up easily if I'm not careful how I clean them, or toss them around. But for the price, I can live with that.
Old 09-19-09, 09:06 AM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probikekit have their own "house" brand which are very good and come with interchangeable lenses.

They are cheap and well worth twice the price.

Take a look at

www.probikekit.com
Old 09-19-09, 09:58 AM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone have a source for sunglasses that either fit over or clip on your prescription glasses?
Old 09-19-09, 11:56 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by ZmanKC
Does anyone have a source for sunglasses that either fit over or clip on your prescription glasses?
As a matter of fact, I have an flyer in my free meds kit from the surgery.

Polar Optics OveRx Sunglasses come in various sizes and are designes to go on over (and fit) your normal glasses. They say they can be ordered at

www.diopticssunwear.com

I have no further information other than the add flyer.
Old 09-19-09, 12:44 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, Max.
Old 09-19-09, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back before I needed far-vision correction, I always used the Performance Bicycle brand sunglasses. They come with different color inserts. They were about $20.00 as they used to be perpetually "on sale". My wife still uses those today.

For off road I prefer the orange color to filter blue and provide a sharper view and increased contrast especially in the shadows. For road I prefer gray which gives good color accuracy.

Now that I need prescription glasses, I use the same colors, but have them tinted to block only 50% of the light vice the more typical 80%. All but my off-road glasses are also polarized to reduce the glint from shiny man-made objects.

Any cheap lens irrespective of the color filters uv effectively.

Al
Old 09-19-09, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZmanKC
Walgreens carries Sun Shields brand sunglasses for wearing over glasses. They make at least 2 sizes. Less than $20 and once in awhile they're on sale. I've had several compliments on mine, so I guess they don't look like grandpa shades. One thing I don't like about them is they seem to scratch easily. You can find them on Amazon too, but you need to make sure you get the right size. Sometimes the description doesn't give that info.
Old 09-19-09, 04:44 PM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
foster grant "Ironman" brand. Target, Wallymart, Walgreens etc all carry them.
Old 09-20-09, 07:52 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maxx, you are in luck. you really only need one lense! just get another eyepatch in clear polycarbonate. that'll fix ya right up. ;-)
Old 09-20-09, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with these. Bifocal. Now I got to think most of us 50+ need one of these. Only $19.00.
https://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ser...ses/Categories
Old 09-20-09, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple, Gary Fisher Hi Fi Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just saw some yesterday at Walmart in the sporting goods section. I can't remember the name, but I believe they were polarized fishing glasses and only cost $5 if I remember correctly. Nice glasses too!!
Old 09-21-09, 07:59 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I used to buy expensive wrap around sunglasses. Not any longer. I now but these: https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/dual-comfort.html. At under $10/pair they are a real bargin. Additionally, they work as well or better than any of the more expensive glasses I've used in the past. They also make a version with a bi-focal in typical reading glasses strenghts (+1 thru +3). I wear those when I'm riding alone and may have to fix a flat. (Just can't see well enough to do this without a little help.)
+1

I wear the Elvex bifocal safety glasses at work too, and the tinted version has become my favorite riding glasses.
Old 09-21-09, 09:00 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
+1 on the link for Safety Glasses USA

I buy the DeWalt glasses in both clear and gray, usually three pair of each when I order. I only need the bifocal part.

On a rainy day, with cheap glasses, I use RainX to clean them before I go out. When they eventually get scratched or ruined...toss'em and go to the next pair. On a multi-day trip I carry an extra pair.