Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics

A lot of you are great about posting pictures of your rides, pie, and bikes. I've got several organized rides scheduled for the next couple of months and would like to take some pictures. The problem is I don't have a camera and don't know where to start. I don't need anything fancy, I guess it would be something like the old "point and shoot."
Does anyone have suggestions as to a camera that would serve my limited purposes?
Thanks!
Old 09-17-09, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get a Nikon Coolpix L20 on Amazon for abut $110, whihc is a good price for a simple point and shoot. Most simple digital cameras these days are good bargain, can take excellent quality photos, adn are very easy to use.
Old 09-17-09, 09:37 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my US$0.02:

7 megapixel should be fine, but most are at least 10mp nowadays

i'd use a digital camera that takes AAs (so you don't have to worry about recharge if you're taking lots of pics or
on the road for a while and after a year or so when the other internal batteries crap out, your AA camera will still
be good at no extra cost)

get at least a 2GB storage card

don't shoot video using the camera (most inexpensive ones don't have the resolution for good playback)

here's a link to a number of AA cameras:

AA digital camera resource page
Old 09-17-09, 10:38 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I don't need anything fancy, I guess it would be something like the old "point and shoot."

Most cameras brands are very similar to each other. Figure out how much you can spend and go from there.
Old 09-17-09, 10:40 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My 5 cents ( inflation ).........Don't fall for the MP number,Canon is the first company dropped the MP race for style and functionality.
Old 09-17-09, 10:46 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
A lot of you are great about posting pictures of your rides, pie, and bikes. I've got several organized rides scheduled for the next couple of months and would like to take some pictures. The problem is I don't have a camera and don't know where to start. I don't need anything fancy, I guess it would be something like the old "point and shoot."
Does anyone have suggestions as to a camera that would serve my limited purposes?
Thanks!
Most digital cameras are point and shoot- once you understand the settings that can be ignored.

Couple of thing I have found that are usefull to have. A removable memory card and hopefully a computer that has a card reader on it. Saves finding the lead and connecting up and working through a programme to read what is on the camera- but most modern cameras will have this.

Rechargable batteries- definitely better if you can plug the camera into the charger (Or charger into the camera) without taking the batteries out.

And the screen to be as large as possible.

I have had a succession of Sony cameras and found them durable and easy to use. But saying that- Cheaper ones will probably be just as good.

Amnd Mega Pixels- High numbers cost high money. 7 megaP's seem to be adequate for everything that I want to take but have 10.1 on mine.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-17-09, 11:24 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
More megapixels is not nearly as important as a better lens - I always wind up reducing the size of my photos anyway to post them on my blog or photo-sharing sites.

I don't know how to tell, but next time I'm buying I'll be looking for the reviews that prop the lens over other features.
Old 09-17-09, 11:33 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Check out the new Canon with the slide out/reverse view finder screen,just like a camacorder,for those who like to take pics of themselves ( like a guy in the hybrid bicycle forum,LOL )
Old 09-17-09, 12:10 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I take pictures EVERY time I ride and take LOTS of pictures. I happen to have a Casio Exilim 6 MP, but as said above, most brands are fine.

I have only a 512 memory card, as I take my photos off usually the same day I take them. I can get 140 pics on a card. I got my camera for $107 (usually $225) by going with a refurbished one through Amazon. I have had no problems with it.

I have one of those "stick on" screen protectors over the screen which seems to be a good idea.

Here's what works for me. I carry it around my neck on a strap not much wider than a big shoestring. Hint: I have found the loop that comes attached to the camera to be weak and it will break off. I put a screw into the tripod mount and clipped the camera to it.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-17-09, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Canon SD110 that lasted me for years and was awesome. Don't know how the newer models are. I needed one that could take underwater photos for my vacations on Dominican Repubic and got a Panasonic DMC-TS1. What I like about it is that you don't have to worry about it falling on the floor (shock resist) or it getting dirty (water resist)... you just soak it in water and keep going... Records AWESOME videos in High Definition (probably the best feature).

The cons:
Heavier and not as slick as the standard cameras
Quality of pictures at low light is meh...
Old 09-17-09, 12:52 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

If you like this pic, it was taken with a cheap Kodak, 3.2mp point and shoot.
Old 09-17-09, 12:54 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

same camera, diff shot
Old 09-17-09, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What strikes me is that nobody asked the OP if he was very familiar with image editing. I know a LOT of folks who have used computers for years, but only in a VERY rote fashion. Including folks whose livelihood depends on using the machine.

Absolutely it's in the glass. A hundred buck Nikon is fine.. I very much prefer it's glass to Canon, BUT that is completely meaningless to the task.

Every edited digital images? If not, I'd suggest you read up on Photoshop Elements. Pretty easy to use, not expensive and I find FAR more bang for the buck in it than most others. BUT, you also have to look at what other things you may want to do with images... as in look at all of the uses you may want.
Old 09-17-09, 01:00 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
$79 Cannon A530 Power Shot. dropped it 5 times.
This one taken While moving set on Auto.

Old 09-17-09, 01:51 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You just need a compact point-and-shoot digital camera that will fit in a jersey pocket. They are all becoming reasonably cheap nowadays, with good battery economy. I favor a camera that takes 2 AA's over a rechargeable as you can always carry spare batteries whereas you can't always recharge. I also like a camera that takes SD cards so that you're not tied in to a proprietary memory card format (so scratch Olympus and Sony).

If you have done any photography, I think you'll be used to using a viewfinder over trying to figure out what's on an LCD display in bright sunlight. I used to use Nikons exclusively, but their cheap Coolpix cameras eliminated the viewfinder, so I have eliminated Nikon from contention. I don't find that their lenses are any better than Canon's.

I like to go for more optical zoom. Digital zoom only degrades picture quality.

I'm using a cheap three-year-old Canon now, an A430. If I were to upgrade, I'd get the waterproof ruggedized Canon, but it's still too expensive. The only problem with the current camera is that it tends to form condensation when I've had it in my jersey pocket on cool days. I think you want a camera that will survive a drop from a moving bicycle into a puddle on a wet day.

Luis
Old 09-17-09, 02:14 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most if not all the pics I have posted on this forum are from my Canon SD600, a 6mp ultra small point and shoot. Really that's all you need. If you worry about using it in the rain, get one that is waterproof. If I were buying one today, I would look for a model that offered a wider angle, something like a 28mm equivalent. I think that is more important than a long tele. Image stabilization might be nice but really isn't necessary.
Old 09-17-09, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
If I were buying one today, I would look for a model that offered a wider angle, something like a 28mm equivalent. I think that is more important than a long tele.
Agree

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Image stabilization might be nice but really isn't necessary.
I don't like IS. At least on the ones I've tried it forces the flash off on lower light conditions and results in a blurry photo. I just turn it off.
Old 09-17-09, 03:29 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a little Fuji, it's a mere 1.6 mp. My Dad gave it to me when he upgraded. It takes good pictures and they are certainly big enough for any web work, 1280x960 in size.

My real complaint is that the camera is a tiny box that is difficult to hold and press the shutter at the same time so unless I have a tripod, I have to hold the camera in a strange manner and press carefully if I don't want camera motion to ruin the picture.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-17-09, 06:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My cell phone at 2mp takes most of the shots I post here. It is pretty darn good, and ever so convenient.

If you go high mp's, be sure you have a fast computer to handle the image and processing, and fast uploading for sharing.

I hardly ever actually print a picture any more - just share on the web.

I always reduce them to 800 x 600 for posting anyways and use the jpg compressor available free at irfanview.com in the irfanview software so it does not take forever to load in the linked photo for you guys and gals.

So, for me, simple and VERY cheap is great.

I have a couple of other digital cameras - a Canon A75 - older, but does great, and a Kodak I got for my wife. It does NOT have a viewfinder, and she can't see the screen in bright light.

To me, a viewfinder is essential on anything but my cell phone camera.