Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anybody else about to head inside for the winter?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 08:33 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

I'm not talking to you lucky folks in the sun belt, but here in Minnesota, the season has really turned. I'm still doing a little riding outside, but it's much less pleasant than it was. And it's been raining like crazy. Also, I'm finding that chilly weather (in the 40s and 50s) makes me prone to pulling muscles. Skipping the pre-ride stretching, which worked fine in the warm weather, is now becoming a problem.

I'll still get a few rides in here or there, at least through November if real winter doesn't come early, but for the most-part, I'm headed to the gym. I've been doing 50 minutes on a combination of a recumbent compucycle and a spinning bike. That's not as long as my outside rides, which in September were typically 1-1.5 hours, but I'm finding that the I actually work harder on the inside machines and that I get a pretty good workout in 50 minutes. It's not like the deep pleasure of a great bike ride, but I'm trying to stick with it. We'll see if I can keep up the momentum for, oh crap, the next 6 months....

Right now I'm envying those of you in milder climates, so try to resist the urge to rub it in...
Old 10-06-09, 08:53 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Nope.

Haven't even brought the studded tires up from the basement yet. The last couple of weeks I've only just started wearing my 'tween season tights. Winter tights--and my winter clipless boots--are still packed away.

And drat! I have a cold, so I missed the first of our winter season Tuesday night rides tonight.
Old 10-06-09, 09:00 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not me, I'll ride until the ice stays on the roads and then I'll switch over to my outdoor winter sports. If you live in the great white north you need to love the snow and cold and you need sports that you can do outside. I can't wait!
Old 10-06-09, 09:06 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way things are going this Fall, I might not turn the heat on until January. I was up at 5600' today in shorts, picking blueberries. It's supposed to be near 80º on Thursday.
Old 10-07-09, 12:54 AM

Bikes: Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride throughout winter. When it gets below sub zero (C) I wear a skull cap under my helmet. Otherwise it is just dressing appropriately. I'm lucky as most of the roads I ride are gritted so ice is generally not a big issue.

What I have started doing is combining cycling with cross training. I bought myself a nice cross trainer which is in the garage. I use that for cardio + interval training. I just expect to use it more in winter than in summer.

I find it quite hard to stay motivated to cycle 5-6 days a week.
Old 10-07-09, 01:16 AM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Not sure I understand why, when the weather starts to cool off cyclists disappear ?
The world continues to function with temp below 40, plenty of other activities flourish during cooler weather - are sport cyclists thin blooded ?
Tuned up my winter bike a couple weeks ago & got the snow tires on - ready to go.
I am more of a utility cyclist- ride year around.
Old 10-07-09, 07:09 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The truly crappy weather that usually holds off till around Halloween is here early in the Great Lakes, so on of my road bikes will be going on the trainer for the Tour de Basement very soon. Today it's gray, damp, occasional showers and very windy. But I'll ride when I can for as long as I can. But I ride for fun and riding in damp ~40F conditions is not fun. So OK, I'm a wimp. Sue me.
Old 10-07-09, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have been Nordic walking for a month now getting the arms in shape for the xc ski and snowshoe season. I still try to ride as long as the roads are not ice covered but rely heavily on my trainer. I open the garage door and ride for a couple of hours watching the snow fall and kids play. Make the best of it!!
Old 10-07-09, 07:53 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Heck no. The best riding of the year starts now.
Old 10-07-09, 08:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulling muscles sounds like bad technique somewhere. Stretching is popular, but dangerous. I never stretch period and won't until there is real scientific evidence.

I ride all year, but not in Minnesota. I have no problems to the mid to high 20's. Lower seems to bother my asthma.

I just read an article on muscle spasms and not sure the relationship with "muscle pulls" or even the definitions. The lack of sodium is an apparent cause. "Apparent" because the science is not definitive yet. Sodium though would seem more of a warm weather issue.

A longer warm-up period might be useful. I need more warm-up time it seems in the cold, especially for my breathing. I don't seem to be susceptible to muscle pulls.

I can't tolerate the boredom of inside cycling.

Al
Old 10-07-09, 08:26 AM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate winter, hate the cold, hate being cold, hate numbness in my extremities and hate dressing like the Michelin man. I'll ride outside on nice days until temps drop into the 30's, but it's MUCH easier for me to get motivated if the bike is on the trainer inside.

Originally Posted by martianone
Not sure I understand why, when the weather starts to cool off cyclists disappear ?
The world continues to function with temp below 40, plenty of other activities flourish during cooler weather - are sport cyclists thin blooded ?
Tuned up my winter bike a couple weeks ago & got the snow tires on - ready to go.
I am more of a utility cyclist- ride year around.
My blood is too thin for any of that other winter outdoor stuff, too.
Old 10-07-09, 08:30 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Absolutely have to get the studs on today. Tomorrow's commute looks like around 15 f with possible snow. So the short answer....no.

btw, the cure for cold....ride hard, duh! Also, the technical material available these days can keep you comfy as can be. Stuff like 3SP fabric.
Old 10-07-09, 08:34 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcanoe
Stretching is popular, but dangerous. I never stretch period and won't until there is real scientific evidence.
I haven't stretched my whole life and now I've developed patella femoral syndrome. Stretching is the only thing that relieves the condition and keeps me on the bike. That may not be scientific but good enough for me.
Old 10-07-09, 08:42 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Here in So. Illinois the garden is still producing tomatoes but the days are getting cooler and shorter. I'm finding it hard to get in 1-2 short rides per week after work.
I live in a small, rural town. In the winter I'll criss-cross town and go out-of-town for a mile or two in several directions.
Lights are very important.
Old 10-07-09, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
I haven't stretched my whole life and now I've developed patella femoral syndrome. Stretching is the only thing that relieves the condition and keeps me on the bike. That may not be scientific but good enough for me.
The antidote, if there is such a thing for those kind of issues is likely weight training. You essentially are stretching bearing weight. It strengthens joints and protects them from damage. Stronger rather than looser (from stretching) tendons/ligaments/muscles keeps the joints together and aligned. It's worked for me for 30 years and I'm totally pain free at 70. Most of my older acquaintances are in pain from something.

At a younger age I suffered from lower back pain. Weight training solved that issue quickly. It also eliminates pain from a congenital shoulder problem that cut a rotator cuff tendon which was sewed back together. If I don't do a particular lift, the pain comes back like gang busters impairing my arm's mobility. Starting the lift again (and working up to significant weight) causes the pain to disappear after a few weeks.

It's not likely one can age well without weight training. Aerobics is not sufficient.

Al
Old 10-07-09, 10:07 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I noticed that northern Wisconsin and Minnesota are now running about 12-15 degrees below normal. That's too bad because this is usually a great time of the year to get out and ride. Windy and some snow in the forecast too.

I'm hopeful of getting out to ride some this winter, but much of that depends upon the snowfall. Since I don't ride roads, the MUPs and rail trails have to be clear for me to ride. As the rail trails are also used by snowmobilers, there is no effort to clear them. And the snowmobiles pack it down to the point where it rarely thaws out.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-07-09, 10:14 AM
Lanterne Rouge

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My whole problem isn't the cold, but the lack of daylight. Riding in the city is just to dangerous after dark. Even with lights and flasher. Time to get on the rollers
Old 10-07-09, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Sidewinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in South Alabama, it is anything BUT Fall. Today's high predicted at 90 degrees, but worse, the humidity is about the same. Went for a very short ride today, but after 45 minutes, couldn't hardly breathe, soaking wet, returned to the very cool AC at the house.
Old 10-07-09, 12:37 PM
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil
Absolutely have to get the studs on today.
They're on. Good thing. It's snowing.
Old 10-07-09, 03:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Despite the inrushing cold air, I think I'm going to head right into it and come up to the St. Croix River Valley on Friday. I've only passed through there on my way to Minn/St. Paul - I've never stopped. So I'm thinking about visiting Stillwater, Hastings, pop down to Red Wing, hit a couple of the nice Minnesota or Wisconsin state parks in the area, maybe ride the Cannon Valley Trail again.

I see the Saturday forecast for that area is a high of 40, low of 28. Don't like that. Average temp for Oct 10th is high-61, low-42 That would be wonderful!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 10-07-09, 04:51 PM
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcanoe
The antidote, if there is such a thing for those kind of issues is likely weight training. You essentially are stretching bearing weight. It strengthens joints and protects them from damage. Stronger rather than looser (from stretching) tendons/ligaments/muscles keeps the joints together and aligned. It's worked for me for 30 years and I'm totally pain free at 70. Most of my older acquaintances are in pain from something.

At a younger age I suffered from lower back pain. Weight training solved that issue quickly. It also eliminates pain from a congenital shoulder problem that cut a rotator cuff tendon which was sewed back together. If I don't do a particular lift, the pain comes back like gang busters impairing my arm's mobility. Starting the lift again (and working up to significant weight) causes the pain to disappear after a few weeks.

It's not likely one can age well without weight training. Aerobics is not sufficient.

Al
Interesting. Any suggestions for a particular kind of weight training for this issue? I noticed you talked about warm up too. That's something else I seldom get a chance to do. Right out my door is a 6% hill. I can ride it easy but it's not the best for a warm up obviously. Didn't intend to hijack the thread.
Old 10-07-09, 09:17 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I live in Vegas (Henderson, NV) BABY! We can finally grab the handlebar without buring our fingers. Book your flight and look for GVridez. Good people out here.
Old 10-07-09, 10:45 PM
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickjiv
here in south alabama, it is anything but fall. Today's high predicted at 90 degrees, but worse, the humidity is about the same. Went for a very short ride today, but after 45 minutes, couldn't hardly breathe, soaking wet, returned to the very cool ac at the house.
+1
Old 10-07-09, 11:08 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I have nothing to say.
Old 10-07-09, 11:08 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Despite the inrushing cold air, I think I'm going to head right into it and come up to the St. Croix River Valley on Friday. I've only passed through there on my way to Minn/St. Paul - I've never stopped. So I'm thinking about visiting Stillwater, Hastings, pop down to Red Wing, hit a couple of the nice Minnesota or Wisconsin state parks in the area, maybe ride the Cannon Valley Trail again.

I see the Saturday forecast for that area is a high of 40, low of 28. Don't like that. Average temp for Oct 10th is high-61, low-42 That would be wonderful!
There's nice riding in that area. I like the roads on the Minnesota side, just south of I-94 - in and around Afton State Park. I'm sure there are also good places on the Wisconsin side, but I haven't explored there yet.

Today was a nice respite from the awful weather we've been having and I got in a nice ride. It's alright with me if it gets a little colder, as long as the blue sky sticks around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.