Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First fall in clips

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First fall in clips

Old 10-09-09, 05:25 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
First fall in clips

I have been riding clipless for about 2 years now without a fall. I read all the posts here about accepting the inevitable and vowed to beat the odds and for all this time I did. I have SPD pedals with a platform on one side so I routinely clip out on the right side before stopping and ride on the platform until I get back under way. Had a number of quick stops leading to close calls but never went down. Yesterday I felt a bump, bump, bump of something adhering to my tire or a dreaded embolism (or whatever we call a tube expanding thru a hole). I quickly stopped, unclipping on the right side and then, of course, leaning to the left to get a good view of the tire. Duh! Timber -- bam, smash! A slightly bloody leg but no serious injuries except to my ego. Oh, well, you all did say it was inevitable.
Old 10-09-09, 05:33 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome to the club.

You failed to mention how many giggling young beautiful ladies were watching!
Old 10-09-09, 05:44 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You weren't used to leaning to view your tire so you fell, now you'll be prepared for the next time. We always have to learn everything at least once. I don't think I'll ever get used to them. Fortunately/unfortunately I've other bikes to fall back on.
Old 10-09-09, 05:45 PM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's another post about falling, it's a poll, I hate polls.
Old 10-09-09, 06:28 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have been riding clipless for about 2 years now without a fall. I read all the posts here about accepting the inevitable and vowed to beat the odds and for all this time I did. I have SPD pedals with a platform on one side so I routinely clip out on the right side before stopping and ride on the platform until I get back under way. Had a number of quick stops leading to close calls but never went down. Yesterday I felt a bump, bump, bump of something adhering to my tire or a dreaded embolism (or whatever we call a tube expanding thru a hole). I quickly stopped, unclipping on the right side and then, of course, leaning to the left to get a good view of the tire. Duh! Timber -- bam, smash! A slightly bloody leg but no serious injuries except to my ego. Oh, well, you all did say it was inevitable.
These come in 3's so this is the first of several! And we always wonder "what were we thinking"??
Old 10-09-09, 06:52 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends............................well, what did you want, Lucky Man?

Very glad you weren't injured. Welcome to club Tombay. Its like 50+, once you've arrived there is no going back.

Thanks for the story, we will add it to the library in the hopes that others will learn from your mistake. At least you no longer have to live with the pride that goeth............etc.
Old 10-09-09, 07:21 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad you're ok...did the tube blow?
Old 10-09-09, 07:51 PM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a tube aneurysm. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Happened to me on a slight incline, at a stopsign, where I lowsided. I had unclipped the wrong foot. This was the first ride on my new bike. You learn quickly from such experiences.
Old 10-09-09, 08:03 PM
VROD

Bikes: lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done almost the same thing twice in my driveway. The second time my grandaughter was watching it was the highlight of her life up to that point she had to tell everyone her papa fell off his bike.
Old 10-09-09, 09:15 PM
alfredo
You can call me Al

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same thing last weekend. Same style pedals, only I fell to the right.
Funny thing was , I had a group of ladies and their daughters riding by in the opposite direction. They all watched me fall over. This was my first time to fall. Does it always feel like it happens in slow motion?

Al
Old 10-09-09, 10:31 PM
dynodonn 
Out on Parole

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Hearing stories like these, just makes me appreciate my platforms that much more, and less likely to switch over to clips/clipless. I cannot afford to go down in urban traffic due to a momentary lapse of balance. There's been a few times that if I'd been clipped in, it would have turned out ugly.
Old 10-09-09, 11:45 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
Hearing stories like these, just makes me appreciate my platforms that much more, and less likely to switch over to clips/clipless. I cannot afford to go down in urban traffic due to a momentary lapse of balance. There's been a few times that if I'd been clipped in, it would have turned out ugly.
I used to feel exactly the same way. And I joined Club Tombay soon after going clipless. And now I ride clipless on Ruby, and with platforms on the Globe. But having finally made the transition, I much prefer to be clipped in. YMMV!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-10-09, 12:17 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
More skills needed- Practice falling- or rather landing, and learn to trackstand.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-10-09, 05:51 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ironhorse3 View Post
That's a tube aneurysm.
That's right, embolism is a bubble inside something, not protruding.

Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Glad you're ok...did the tube blow?
No. There was no aneurysm, maybe a stick briefly adhered to the tire or something.
Old 10-10-09, 06:20 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt and welcome to the club.

I took a spill on the Katy Trail tour this year - my first in a couple years

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-10-09, 08:14 AM
dynodonn 
Out on Parole

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
I used to feel exactly the same way. And I joined Club Tombay soon after going clipless. And now I ride clipless on Ruby, and with platforms on the Globe. But having finally made the transition, I much prefer to be clipped in. YMMV!
I've toyed with the idea of going clipless in areas that have long periods of having to ride without uncliping, but that is usually in the more rural areas that I seldom travel unless I do it on a whim. With the bulk of my travels having to mix it up with urban traffic, the hassle of having to clip and unclip at intersections(poor track standing abilities),the thought of going clipless will have to wait for another day.
Old 10-10-09, 03:24 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah to clip or not to clip, that is the question...............never have gone clipless............keep saying I never will, but I keep reading articles and cycling books with passages singing the praises of clipless, haven't given in yet so why another comment like this one? Is it inevitable?
Old 10-10-09, 04:25 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
Ah to clip or not to clip, that is the question...............never have gone clipless............keep saying I never will, but I keep reading articles and cycling books with passages singing the praises of clipless, haven't given in yet so why another comment like this one? Is it inevitable?
There are tradeoffs in most performance gains. The occasional near harmless clipless fall is in my opinion well worth the increase in performance. That performance increase, like all things, requires becoming good at a new technique. It isn't an automatic 10% magic bullet. Circling the feet in a good clipless stroke will make use of muscles that are not being used at the present time. That's where the power increase comes from. Bike stability is better if the feet stay attached to the bike at all times. (especially for MTB use where the rider is getting knocked around at speed).

Much as I like to put the flats back on for the occasional foray into tourist land, the clipless go right back on when I want performance back.
Old 10-10-09, 06:37 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh boy, here's the performance argument again. I ride one bike with toe clips and one with SPD's. I see no performance difference whatsoever. I like to ride the toe clipped bike, because I can wear any athletic-type shoe with those... but to be honest, I really love the look of traditional Christophe toe clips, and I don't have to worry about some mechanical contraption working right nor about the intricacies of cleat positioning. But other than that, foot back to get out of toe clips, foot sideways to get out of clipless pedals. There's even less difference if using the toe clips with cleated shoes, but that's going a little extreme for most riding that isn't actual racing.
Old 10-10-09, 06:45 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Everhandy View Post
I'm new to this forum however, I am aware this subject has been beaten to death. Here's my take...
yawn
Old 10-10-09, 07:04 PM
Addison

Bikes: Madone 4.6,Salsa Casserole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Earth Shoe thing......... I'm 10 years older than you with a host of spine issues. Just got back into Earth shoes last year (and MBT shoes) for the first time since college days. I can't tell you how much they help me make it through the day at my job running those 20 yard sprints all day on the concrete floor. And...clipped in is for me. You have different needs than some so do as you like and be safe.
Old 10-11-09, 09:39 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I've never fallen due to making an error when unclipping on a road bike. The only time I fell due to clipless pedals was a Wellgo pedal that would not let go of the cleat.
Notice I keep referring to falling riding a road bike. We won't go into how many times I fell on the MTB because I couldn't unclip (and counting)
Old 10-11-09, 10:00 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
Oh boy, here's the performance argument again. I ride one bike with toe clips and one with SPD's. I see no performance difference whatsoever. I like to ride the toe clipped bike, because I can wear any athletic-type shoe with those... but to be honest, I really love the look of traditional Christophe toe clips, and I don't have to worry about some mechanical contraption working right nor about the intricacies of cleat positioning. But other than that, foot back to get out of toe clips, foot sideways to get out of clipless pedals. There's even less difference if using the toe clips with cleated shoes, but that's going a little extreme for most riding that isn't actual racing.
I don't think the performance argument is between toe clips and clipless, but rather between either of those and flats.
Old 10-11-09, 10:14 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I feel guilty.

I seldom go MTBing these days, so I went last week. My Wahoo has M520s set at low tensions. Super easy to get in and out of.

My road bike has A520s. They are much harder to get in and out of, and one of these days I'm going to fail to do so and hit the pavement.

BUT the A520s look so much cooler than the M520s (I guess) so I would never put M520s on my road bike.

Since I look like a bent rider in the first place, I fail to see what difference it makes.

Unless you're a bent rider.
Old 10-11-09, 10:27 AM
GreenRiver

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been clipless for 5 years - busted my arse 3-4 times (nothing bad) due to brain fart syndrome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.