Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finding Out What I'm Made Of

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-24-09, 12:56 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This has been the story for me in 2009 so far. In my third year of serious riding I have attempted things I didn't "think" I could do and found out that I'm only limited by that very thought. We have a hill in our area known as Lamb's Canyon. The section I did today shows 563' of climb in 3.8 miles. The entire hill is 1350' of gain in 5.6 miles, which I will do next time, but today I decided to just tackle the first section as the beginning of my 34 mile ride. As in the century I did a few weeks ago, this was not near as difficult as I imagined and I am rapidly getting to the point of looking for things to challenge me further.

The bottom line is we are truly limited by our thoughts and if we push them aside we can accomplish much more than we think we can. Too bad I had to learn some of these things so late in life!
Old 10-24-09, 01:09 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If my diet over the last 50 years is any indication it's mostly buritos and beer

The stats on that climb are about 3% average grade, thats a nice climb for 3.8 miles. The last part of the climb calcs out at 8% based on the numbers you provided - a serious section of hill. That sounds like a nice challenge to keep you busy and maybe get you addicted like the rest of us aspiring mountain goats. Congrats!
Old 10-24-09, 01:34 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3% over the distance is probably right, but there are two sections around 8% and some that are almost flat. It's the 8% sections that get yer attention! But what really impressed me is I had been afraid to tackle this hill...and I found it was nothing!
Old 10-24-09, 02:23 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I was taking my elevation from a different source than my Garmin 305, this is the actual grade.

http://ridewithgps.com/users/1722/routes
Old 10-24-09, 04:25 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having driven that route many times I am like you were always thinking how hard it looks. I plan on giving it a try but never seem to get motivated. I have decided to give the climb to Idyllwild sometime in November and once I have done that I may be over my climbing fears. I don’t know if I will ever like climbing but sometimes you have to climb it get to the good downhill runs.